Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been looking for an 09-10 WK1 for my wife for a few months now. We will be trading her 09 Challenger SRT-8 for it. We have talked to dealers from Florida to California and have not been able to secure what we feel is a good deal yet. We have a local dealer here that has helped us in the past, and he has been looking at auction for us as well.

We recently found one we are interested in a couple hours away, and I figured I would ask here what you guys thought. Good deal or not?

http://www.baysidechryslerjeepdodge...Cherokee-4cea229b0a0d048d00359a33ec098049.htm

Initially, this particular one was listed without a price, so we gave them a call. The initial price we got from the salesman over the phone was 42,900. Now we see it listed for a good bit less, so we figured we better at least put a deposit on it till we can get down there and have a better look. The salesman has already given us a "sight unseen" price on our trade. While it's not exactly the amount we were hoping for, it's pretty close. The salesman told us they would give us a better number once they see the car for themselves.

So anyway, we have put the deposit and will be going there on Wednesday to look at it, figuring this is the best deal so far. Well, later on Friday evening, after putting down the deposit, my local dealer (the one going to auctions and whatnot) had texted us and told us he found something. He said it's a 2010, Inferno Red, Kicker, SRT 1 & 2, with 25k miles. He said he would call us back today with a price, so we will see.

So now I have went from no luck to two possible contenders. My question is....Is this a good starting price for negotiation, or should I be looking elsewhere?

One thing I have to say is the 5 or so I have looked at so far have been rust buckets underneath, so that will be a deal breaker for me for my trade is pristine. Am I being to picky? Should I be willing to concede to a few imperfections? Should I be looking into getting an extended warranty? Any problem areas to look for?

Thanks for the help guys!

· Premium Member
220 Posts
That appears to be a decent price, maybe a bit on the high side. I paid $38k for 2010 Inferno Red with all the options and 16k miles in September 2011. I'm under full warranty until Dec 2012 and a couple of more years on the powertrain warranty. My advice to you would be to inspect the vehicle carefully, preferrably in person. As mine was a long-distance deal, I should have had an independent inspection done, I foolishly relied on the dealership for a walk-around. If I had gone in person, there's no way I would have paid $38k, I would have offered no more than $36k, and walked if they balked at anything more than $37k. Fortunately it is a Southern car so I had no rust or salt issues.

· Registered
6,204 Posts
I think the price is a little high but try to bring em down.

One word of advice. Look at those wheels before you accept delivery. Make sure there are no spots, clear coat peeling, or any sort of corrosion. Those durabrite rims are notorious for that.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help so far, I will definitely go over it with a fine toothed comb. I am hoping to hear back from the local dealer soon, hopefully would save me a trip to NY. If you guys think of ANYTHING I need to be looking at, I appreciate it. This will be for the wife and she is very picky as well, so I want to make sure I cover my bases.

Thanks again!

· Premium Member
1,062 Posts
My only complaint with the 2010 is the keyless remote system is flawed. If it has not been replaced on the one you buy, it will probably be really flawed. It will fail to work at the worst times and will not work for up to a minute. If it has been replaced, it will flake out for a few seconds from time to time. I know this sounds picky to someone who has not experienced the problem but it is a real PITA when you are standing in pouring rain.

I don't understand how they messed it up because the (almost) same system works perfectly on my 09 Challenger.

· Banned
1,577 Posts
My only complaint with the 2010 is the keyless remote system is flawed. If it has not been replaced on the one you buy, it will probably be really flawed. It will fail to work at the worst times and will not work for up to a minute. If it has been replaced, it will flake out for a few seconds from time to time. I know this sounds picky to someone who has not experienced the problem but it is a real PITA when you are standing in pouring rain.

I don't understand how they messed it up because the (almost) same system works perfectly on my 09 Challenger.
can second this problem with my 2010 but it does not bother me.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this a battery issue in the fob or a transmission issue from the circuit board? My 09 Challenger Fob's were acting up (both of them at the same time), believe it or not, changed the batteries, all is good now

· Registered
438 Posts
i think the price is fine, though being a dealer you could always bring them down a little.

i wouldn't sell my truck for less than $40,000, but mine has some mods to it. try bringing him down to the mid 30s just because its a dealership, and you'll be stealing it from him.

let me know if you're not getting it, i have a friend who offered to buy mine, but i know he really wants one of his own

· Registered
611 Posts
Have the transfer case looked over. Try and chew them down some. That is a nice clean Jeep, and cant go wrong with the silver.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, we passed on the silver, so it's still for sale. We will be picking up the red one tomorrow night to bring home. My wife loves it, and plus we we're able to get a Chrysler lifetime maxcare warranty.

Thankfully the search is over, so now I suppose the modding begins. Thanks to everyone who gave their input, it was very much appreciated.

· Registered
438 Posts
cool, good for you

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. Picked her up last night. I am sad to see the Challenger go, but am looking forward to leaning about this new beast. Thanks for all the help!

· Premium Member
1,062 Posts
plus we we're able to get a Chrysler lifetime maxcare warranty.
Does the fine print in the lifetime service contract not exclude the SRTs? It did when we were looking for a maxcare warranty (service contract).

· Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Is this a battery issue in the fob or a transmission issue from the circuit board? My 09 Challenger Fob's were acting up (both of them at the same time), believe it or not, changed the batteries, all is good now
No it is an inherent flaw in the system and I am convinced it is in the module in the vehicle not the fobs. I do not know of one person that had the problem and Chrysler got it fixed. Improved greatly yes, fixed no. Out whole system was changed out fobs and all.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does the fine print in the lifetime service contract not exclude the SRTs? It did when we were looking for a maxcare warranty (service contract).
2010's can get it now, Chrysler has changed things I guess. I called Chrysler warranty to double check, and they offered a lifetime option. Being I bought the Jeep Certified Preowned, I was able to ge a 0 deductible lifetime warranty. We are pretty stoked, and it's transferable!

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60645

· Registered
1,249 Posts
No it is an inherent flaw in the system and I am convinced it is in the module in the vehicle not the fobs. I do not know of one person that had the problem and Chrysler got it fixed. Improved greatly yes, fixed no. Out whole system was changed out fobs and all.

Did they ever do a TSB on this ? I'm just used to walking away from the stupid thing now and by the time I'm 50 feet away it will start working again and I can lock it. Seems a lot worse after I've just shut the engine down.

· Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Did they ever do a TSB on this ? I'm just used to walking away from the stupid thing now and by the time I'm 50 feet away it will start working again and I can lock it. Seems a lot worse after I've just shut the engine down.
Yes they did the TSB on ours because it was the affected unit. It did not help. Then our dealer replaced the complete unit and fobs. The replacement fobs were a different design with the battery door on the back. That improved it so it happens less often and for a shorter time. The replacement unit and fobs were on backorder for 2 months with 40 behind at the warehouse so that tells the story.

· Registered
40 Posts
Yes they did the TSB on ours because it was the affected unit. It did not help. Then our dealer replaced the complete unit and fobs. The replacement fobs were a different design with the battery door on the back. That improved it so it happens less often and for a shorter time. The replacement unit and fobs were on backorder for 2 months with 40 behind at the warehouse so that tells the story.
So I'm not crazy, just reading this , mine does this ALL THE TIME......all they ever do is tell me, well the pod is transmitting......couldn't get it to duplicate...oh hey I think we need a test drive.......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.