Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a 17’ SRT a few months ago and instantly wanted better sound. But no drone and nothing too crazy. I did a little research on this site and YouTube. I bought the Solo cat back.

It started with great communication over the phone then followed by quick shipping. Oh and the price seemed very reasonable as well.

I did the install myself in about two hours. I just used my floor jack with jack stands. Pretty easy to get under it. I tried to remove the old system without cutting anything but it was more of a hassle. So I cut it as per the directions. The installation was a piece of cake and it went on perfectly. I did an adjustment about a week or so later to get the tips just perfect.

I have had the system on the Jeep for about 6,000 miles and absolutely love it. I get compliments all the time. It’s funny actually as most people don’t know much about the SRT. But they do after they hear it! Lol.

The sound is just perfect, the sound when it shifts (hard to describe) and the downshift burbles are awesome.

If anyone is wanting something that sounds great, is not too obnoxious but certainly is louder than stock this is one to look at.

I’m 100% happy with my purchase! Now to get rid of the old system sitting in my garage (just in case I didn’t like the Solo!).

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
I put a Solo on my '16 and echo your sentiments regarding the sound and bang for the buck. To your comments, I add my feedback:

- After pulling up behind a new SRT the other day with a Corsa exhaust (and a lot of stainless appendage hanging down), I realize one of the most attractive aesthetic aspects of the Solo is the lack of plumbing/baggage visible from the rear due to the J pipes being hidden behind the bumper.
- The bark at cold start makes me smile every time. And the look on some people's faces when I fire it up in a parking lot with the remote, is priceless. Positive comments from car guys are nearly a daily thing. To say it's a head-turner, at idle or in motion, is an understatement.
- While the use of the factory tips bothers some people, that was a key benefit for me; it keeps the Jeep looking clean and stealthy, while making people scratch their heads when they hear what is clearly an aftermarket exhaust, but see what appears to be a factory kit (the only giveaway being the noticeably larger 3" pipes). And as much as I was eager to grab the Borla Atak before I was aware of the Solo, the look of the aftermarket tips deterred me.
- Under heavy throttle, the sounds produced during up-shifts in Sport/Track (especially using the paddles) are epic. Lit it up in a tunnel the other day and it made me giddy. The down-shift gurgles are awesome.
- One visual aspect I imagine will bother me more over time is the metal discoloration between the pipes and the rear resonators. From what I understand it's due to the use of a 409/304 stainless combo, so I'll either have to live with it or get it coated it down the road.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Love hearing mine every day ... about 8K miles with it. Had it at a local car show last weekend and folks loved the sound. I agree with comments on stock tips ... I like the stealth look.

·
Vendor
426 Posts
Thanks so much for the kind words and the support! We are happy to have you all a part of the Solo Performance family. If you all have any questions, you can reach me here, by email at [email protected], or by phone at 516-655-9002. Enjoy!

Steve

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just installed mine today on trackhawk. Absolutely sounds amazing. Video sounded good but in person it is ridiculous. I would recommend it to anyone. Quiet when not mashing gas....but monster at WOT

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sounds promising. Hows the drone if any? Also did you remove the resonator?

There is no drone but you hear the exhaust even while cruising with minimal gas pedal down.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've put around 6k miles on my solo exhaust and its just right sound wise. The carbon buildup to this point has tamed the exhaust a little (not as loud and raspy at certain rpms and speeds) and defined the exhaust note to a nice deep rumble that lets you know that this jeep isn't stock and should have come this way from factory, bliss-like exhaust notes at cold-start, and holy schmoly when getting on it. Ive been behind my jeep with my wife driving it at WOT acceleration....just put it this way, you can hear that thang from a few cars back. Its just right to me at this point of breaking in mileage wise.

·
Vendor
426 Posts
I've put around 6k miles on my solo exhaust and its just right sound wise. The carbon buildup to this point has tamed the exhaust a little (not as loud and raspy at certain rpms and speeds) and defined the exhaust note to a nice deep rumble that lets you know that this jeep isn't stock and should have come this way from factory, bliss-like exhaust notes at cold-start, and holy schmoly when getting on it. Ive been behind my jeep with my wife driving it at WOT acceleration....just put it this way, you can hear that thang from a few cars back. Its just right to me at this point of breaking in mileage wise.
Thanks so much for the feedback and we are super happy to know that you are enjoying your Solo exhaust! Welcome to the Solo family!

Steve

·
Registered
124 Posts
I’m a bit concerned about the stainless. I have read negative reviews of the AFE systems rusting due to a lower grade ss than Borla and Corsa.
I don’t want anything cheap looking on my SRT. But like the idea of the stock tips. I think they look great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got my Solo exhaust installed on my 2016 over the weekend. Oh boy is it great! I found myself driving around all day giggling to myself having a blast. Track mode paddle shifts are god like it sounds sooooo good!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can anyone comment specifically on the loudness? Day to day driving from point A to B under normal driving conditions and then when your smashing the pedal WOT?
And compared to say a Billy Boat or Borla S?
Love the rumble from some of videos I’ve seen and the exhaust note just perfect. I’ve just been a little sceptical due to loudness and potential overkill dB for daily commuting / errands?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Can anyone comment specifically on the loudness? Day to day driving from point A to B under normal driving conditions and then when your smashing the pedal WOT?
And compared to say a Billy Boat or Borla S?
Love the rumble from some of videos I’ve seen and the exhaust note just perfect. I’ve just been a little sceptical due to loudness and potential overkill dB for daily commuting / errands?
WOT. It’s loud. People in back seat can’t hear the front passenger and driver having conversations. If driving normally it’s tolerable for the passengers. If driving alone, I have zero complaints!!!! It’s way louder than borla S at WOT and less drone cruising than borla S IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Everyone -- I thought I would share my experience putting a Solo cat-back on my MY’19 WK2 SRT after putting about ~1,000 miles on it (my current daily driver). Picked one up on an early Black Friday discount from Steve. Had a call with him before making the purchase and read a ton of stuff on here as well as watched a bunch of YouTube videos. I was deciding between the Solo & Corsa Sport. Biggest concerns were going to 3” piping (volume/drone, low-end torque loss / back pressure, etc) and that Solo price was indicative of design quality; however, I really liked the sound vs. the Corsa (taking YouTube clips as gospel).

Packaging & shipping was solid; however, I have had some fitment issues. I had two different exhaust shops look at it and both could not get solid alignment even with some hacks (welding, bending, etc). As of now the system leans to the left across the board almost touching the rear diffuser. All that said, I really like the clean look of the factory tips – this was a plus for me when looking at different systems. I will continue to play around with the tips to try and center them but it is what it is at the moment.

Now for sound comments: Idle --> definitely louder than stock. It may be by design, but the exhaust sounds louder at idle range (~500 – 999 RPM) vs. higher gear cruising (~1,000 - ~1,500 RPM). Idle sounds good but could be annoying to people that do not want to sit in traffic with above average exhaust noise or piss off their neighbors on a cold start. In general, there is no “drone” in the cabin, however it can be louder than I think most people would want under certain light/medium throttle applications. For example, when I am @ 1,700 RPM and accelerating at a rate that does not require a downshift (light throttle), it can get annoying loud for simple day-to-day driving to the point where I think some people might comment it is “drone” when (in my opinion) it is just “loud”. That being said, the exhaust note sounds both awesomely deep/mean/aggressive in person and gives you the perception that you are driving a heavy-duty truck. Also, if you want to be able to hear the exhaust while cruising on the highway w/o having to drop a gear or two it really helps there as well -- that was noticeably annoying to me stock. WOT --> sounds awesome. When I had a MY’18 Camaro SS (6.2L LT1), I used to have a big smile on my face every time I ripped above 4,000 RPM … I made that face for the first-time last week with since selling the Camaro. Couldn’t be happier with the noise there. Last thing I will say is that the exhaust burbles/spits in all modes and in all gears (although most notable in Sport/Track when engine braking) which I never really heard before putting on the Solo system – it’s awesome.

Final thoughts: Exhausts will always be a compromise – I’ve found in general you need to decide between: 1) too loud when you don’t want but big smiles on WOT and 2) quiet when you want it but disappointment on WOT. For me, the Solo falls into #1. Louder than stock across the board, no “drone” but higher than desired volume in some gears at some throttles in certain moods. But when you want aggressive volume, boy does the Solo system deliver. It has really made the truck more special to me and I look forward to getting in and whipping down I-95 to work every day. I can’t comment if this is “better” than Corsa, Borla, GT Haus, Billy Boat, Magnaflow, etc. since I have never had those systems, but it is certainly is something I am going to keep on for the foreseeable future. Hope this was helpful for people considering different options and happy to answer questions if people have them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts