Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
My lifters just failed on my 2014 Jeep SRT which only had 47k miles on it, and the mechanic shop is recommending that I do a complete engine swap. We're waiting for them to drop the engine and check the oil to determine if any metallic particles from the cat iron shaving made it's way into the block. Regardless, even if the engine is salvageable, I'm still looking at a $6k job easily to replace the cam shaft + push rods + 16 lifters since Im not gonna keep that faulty shit design lifters in my car. Would rather replace them all with the Hellcat lifters since those seem to have less issues.

Not sure what to do here, does anyone have any experience with this? Would comprehensive insurance cover something like this? Am I better off just forking out the $12k for a new 6.4L motor? Should I lemon law the vehicle? And doesn't a complete engine swap come with it's own set of issues if it's not done by the manufacturer? I called Jeep and they basically gave me the middle finger on this. it's really disappointing, this is my third SRT and I'll never buy another jeep/chrysler/dodge again after this shit show.
I would find a Mopar build shop and build the motor right, you will pay about the same as a new one from Jeep and it will be a much better build... you will also be able to SC it... or the person that buys it next will pay extra so they can...

· Registered
6 Posts
I would find a Mopar build shop and build the motor right, you will pay about the same as a new one from Jeep and it will be a much better build... you will also be able to SC it... or the person that buys it next will pay extra so they can...
I haven't given up yet, I'm escalating this all the way to the top at FCA. They told me to move my vehicle from the mechanic shop to a dealership, otherwise they wont even talk to me about compensation at all. I'll keep this thread updated on what happens. I've also reached out to the attorney's on the pending class action, however i haven't heard anything back from them.

· Registered
23 Posts
My lifters just failed on my 2014 Jeep SRT which only had 47k miles on it, and the mechanic shop is recommending that I do a complete engine swap. We're waiting for them to drop the engine and check the oil to determine if any metallic particles from the cat iron shaving made it's way into the block. Regardless, even if the engine is salvageable, I'm still looking at a $6k job easily to replace the cam shaft + push rods + 16 lifters since Im not gonna keep that faulty shit design lifters in my car. Would rather replace them all with the Hellcat lifters since those seem to have less issues.

Not sure what to do here, does anyone have any experience with this? Would comprehensive insurance cover something like this? Am I better off just forking out the $12k for a new 6.4L motor? Should I lemon law the vehicle? And doesn't a complete engine swap come with it's own set of issues if it's not done by the manufacturer? I called Jeep and they basically gave me the middle finger on this. it's really disappointing, this is my third SRT and I'll never buy another jeep/chrysler/dodge again after this shit show.
Our team is available to have a further look into your concerns for you, Peter. Please send us your case number or VIN via private message so we can check into your file.

Steph
Jeep Cares

· Registered
1 Posts
Our team is available to have a further look into your concerns for you, Peter. Please send us your case number or VIN via private message so we can check into your file.

Steph
Jeep Cares
Hello, I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT with 63k miles that had a misfire on #7 and they cracked to motor open to discover the failed lifter and ground down cam lobe. Noticed lifter tick in the past but dealer told me it’s “normal” when I had them check it. My wife’s car so not hot rodded at all and I’m religious about maintenance. $8400 to replace all lifters and cam along with head gaskets. Called FCA was told the same thing, “it out of warranty so no help is available”. How did you situation turn out Peter, did FCA help offset some of the repair cost? Sucks going into Christmas and having to spend $8+k on this when it seems to be a mfg defect.

· Registered
151 Posts
Hello, I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT with 63k miles that had a misfire on #7 and they cracked to motor open to discover the failed lifter and ground down cam lobe. Noticed lifter tick in the past but dealer told me it’s “normal” when I had them check it. My wife’s car so not hot rodded at all and I’m religious about maintenance. $8400 to replace all lifters and cam along with head gaskets. Called FCA was told the same thing, “it out of warranty so no help is available”. How did you situation turn out Peter, did FCA help offset some of the repair cost? Sucks going into Christmas and having to spend $8+k on this when it seems to be a mfg defect.
You won't get no help if you don't have any extended warranty, this is why it's a good idea for people to purchase an extended powertrain warranty through a third party once you get close to the manufacture warranty ending which is 60k miles. It's what I did, and I'm covered for 5 years or when I reach 120k miles.

Take a look at this crate engine its less than what you will pay for having the engine half ass rebuilt! Its going for $7,600! The engine will be brand new 0 miles! and comes with a BGE Block (Hell Cat Block)

392 SRT Performance, 6.4L Hemi Engine, 485HP, Limited Stock (speedwaymotors.com) this is a replacement engine for the SRT Jeeps Only. NO WIRE HARNESS OR ECU is available from Chrysler or aftermarket companies

This one's going for $8600! and one for $8K

Mopar Performance 392 Crate HEMI Engine - 68303090AB | All Mopar Parts

and one for $8K!,
6.4L HEMI Crate Engine (modernmusclextreme.com)

Have the engine swapped and you will have a brand-new engine vs having the same used bottom end and just the damaged parts replaced. I also have read many people still have issues after the dealer repairs an engine with lifter failure.

While you have the brand-new engine you can purchase a set of hell cat lifters and delete the MDS and not have to worry about the lifters failing again, this is what i see some people do.

· Registered
151 Posts
Are these still failing in newer ones? I have a 2018.
I have read somewhere that they secretly upgraded the 2018 and up 392's with better lifters etc. but I'm not 100% sure. Mines seems to purr like a kitten, I burn about a half quart every 5-6K miles which is really good. But I didn't chance it when I got my SRT, one of the first things I got was my extended warranty!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts