Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Jeep just went back to the dealer. They said they were not sure what they will do this time around, but I would not be getting a new motor. I do not see what putting another set of new lifters in without replacing the cam at the same time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finally got around to pulling the head off and found the left side front inlet lifter partially stuck down. Pulled it apart and no signs of why it would be stuck, flushed it and put it back together and it works fine without the springs in. Nothing at all wrong with the roller. Will obviously replace it with a new one. This makes me wonder if this is the start of the cause of the roller failures or if that is somethig completely different. I heard it first make a tick tick noise on start up and shut it down. Restarted and checked for exhauist leaks then shut it down and pushed it in the shed, i.e. I did not drive it anymore. What I am staying is I think I caught it straight way, so no roller damage and no cam damage. Does anyone else have any experience in this? With any new tick tick noise in the valve train it might be worth pulling the rocker cover off, it is immediately evident just by checking the valve clearances. Might save a whole lot of money in repairs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 15 built in August with 39K miles no audible tick so far. Will definitely keep an ear out for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 I bought new from dealer so I've experienced just about every problem you can with this vehicle. I also owned a 2006 SRT which had every problem you could have. I just had the lifter issue with mine at 112k miles. (After being initially diagnosed as spark plugs by local shop had to reluctantly take it to the dealer) Dealer is replacing lifters and cam for $4,500. Contacted Jeep customer service and explained my situation hoping they would offer some kind of help being this is my 3rd Jeep. They said there's nothing they could do so I filed a formal complaint seeing as this seems to be a problem with a lot of the hemi's and the number of issues I experienced with the car over the years (including the dealer putting it though the car wash with the sun roof open) I was hoping to find a class action lawsuit seeing as this is a known issue with many of these motors. Needless to say this will be the last Jeep I ever purchase.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I had the same issue. Always service my Jeep regularly at a dealership and never tracked it or abused. It was originally bought 03/23/2015. Few months after covid lockdowns I started driving my Jeep srt randomly started ticking and shut down as I was driving just 5 months after my powertrain has expired. Very frustrated because it now needs a new motor (metal shavings in the oil . I recently called fca and waiting for a response see if they will do a good will on the repair. Do you guys have any advice on this ?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts