Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re 6.4 / 392 Jeep SRT engines - Can any one advise if the problem of lifters failing (way before they should) been rectified in later models? If so from what year on is OK? I can't find anything in the forums about this, but lots of tales of expensive repairs. I understand there were revised lifters produced from around March 2015, does anyone know if these have fixed the problem of failing lifter roller bearings? Are there still oil supply issues to thelifters/cam in later models? Has anyone with a 2016 to 2020 SRT had any lifters fail? Thanking you for you input in advance

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought 15 with 75K back in January still under powertrain warr. till 5/20. In February noticed a lifter tick at cold starts. Off to the dealer they resolved to fix the issue with new lifters and cam replaced(warranty). When i picked up the truck drove 10 miles and my oil pressure dropped to 25 psi constant. Back to the dealer week later new motor(warranty)went in and all is well ever since. I now have a new motor and new 5yr/100mile powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
333 Posts
So the problem still exists with the 2015 model and under. Anyone else has problems newer then 15?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought 15 with 75K back in January still under powertrain warr. till 5/20. In February noticed a lifter tick at cold starts. Off to the dealer they resolved to fix the issue with new lifters and cam replaced(warranty). When i picked up the truck drove 10 miles and my oil pressure dropped to 25 psi constant. Back to the dealer week later new motor(warranty)went in and all is well ever since. I now have a new motor and new 5yr/100mile powertrain warranty.

What was your vehicles actual build date? The dealer spare parts guy told me they had a cutover date to the new lifters of the 15th March 2015. Also they may have used the old parts till they ran out...maybe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Build Date 2/15
OK, so it looks like yours was built just prior to the change in Mopar lifter design in March 2015.

?Come on anyone who has a 6.4l / 392 SRT WK2 if your build date is after March 2015, anytime after March 2015 can you please post whether you have had to replace your lifters or if you have had no lifter problems? That way we can build a history. Thanks ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, so it looks like yours was built just prior to the change in Mopar lifter design in March 2015.

?Come on anyone who has a 6.4l / 392 SRT WK2 if your build date is after March 2015, anytime after March 2015 can you please post whether you have had to replace your lifters or if you have had no lifter problems? That way we can build a history. Thanks ?
I Got 11/2015 no lifter issue so far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2014 with a 10/13 build date and didn't have ANY lifter issues or noise until 87k miles in summer of 2019. Misfire on #3 as I left the dealer for unrelated service. My powertrain had expired a few months prior. Now fully forged new build by a reputable local shop. $6k later with $4k+ in Kooks and other goodies. Not to get off topic, mine is earlier but didn't show any signs until very late...

Reactions: wanderlust

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 with a 10/13 build date and didn't have ANY lifter issues or noise until 87k miles in summer of 2019. Misfire on #3 as I left the dealer for unrelated service. My powertrain had expired a few months prior. Now fully forged new build by a reputable local shop. $6k later with $4k+ in Kooks and other goodies. Not to get off topic, mine is earlier but didn't show any signs until very late...
What oil you're filling your engine ? I always put Pennzoil 0w40 and never rev up to 3k rpms before 80 degree in celciouse, my car is made for Europe. can you share audio noise of the lifter issue you are experience along with the misfire ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,
I am not sure where to find my build date, but I have a 2016 Grand Cherokee SRT that just had all the lifters replaced at the dealer. 58,000 miles with no hard use, have not used launch mode etc, mostly highway miles. It is a daily driver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re 6.4 / 392 Jeep SRT engines - Can any one advise if the problem of lifters failing (way before they should) been rectified in later models? If so from what year on is OK? I can't find anything in the forums about this, but lots of tales of expensive repairs. I understand there were revised lifters produced from around March 2015, does anyone know if these have fixed the problem of failing lifter roller bearings? Are there still oil supply issues to thelifters/cam in later models? Has anyone with a 2016 to 2020 SRT had any lifters fail? Thanking you for you input in advance
I have not experienced any lifter noise on my 2015 SRT JEEP. Built 3/2015. I will be listening more attentively though... thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m going through this right now. 2014, 115K miles. From what I’ve learned, the lifter manufactures where changed in 2016. Mopar still makes a lifter called “HD” which is installed in all newer V8 engines including the Hellcat. The dealer knows this is an issue but they will not step up and take care of owners. $6900 for them to replace lifters only! So I have a disabled Jeep in the garage for now, stuck at home for the next 3 weeks quarantined lol, so I’ll get it taken care of myself I guess...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m going through this right now. 2014, 115K miles. From what I’ve learned, the lifter manufactures where changed in 2016. Mopar still makes a lifter called “HD” which is installed in all newer V8 engines including the Hellcat. The dealer knows this is an issue but they will not step up and take care of owners. $6900 for them to replace lifters only! So I have a disabled Jeep in the garage for now, stuck at home for the next 3 weeks quarantined lol, so I’ll get it taken care of myself I guess...
Note it's a manufacturer's defect, the dealer is only the puppet. Get with SRT / Jeep Cares and see if they will assist. I spent less than your quote for a fully built forged 392 with all parts and labor, including my own selected components for a Comp Cam, forged pistons and rods, valvetrain, etc. from an independent shop that specializes in HEMI's. Also note, I have a buddy here in Houston that does the cam / lifter replacements on HEMI's often and he gets about $2,000 for the parts and labor. Good luck but wanted to advise there are much cheaper options than the dealer, especially out of warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 (Manufactured 6/13) with 75k miles and have a lifter tick on cold starts. I don’t drive it hard day to day but taken it to two track days in its life.

I’ve noticed the engine stutter sometimes on low rpm, is the stutter possibly a cylinder misfire? Would you guys recommend I get my lifters changed as a precaution?

I love my SRT but I don’t know much about how the motor works so any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, I am not in a postion to give advice but according to all the posts about the ticking noise being related to failing lifters particularly in earlier models and also my experince it is highly likley it is related to failing lifters. If it is then it is only going to get worse and maybe something wil break and also it will damage your camshaft as well. I would take it to a dealer or reputable Mopar 392 mech business and ger them to at least have a listen and go from there. It may well be that Jeep will do it under warranty due to the number of failures they have had on these lifters so maybe see a dealer first

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2014 (Manufactured 6/13) with 75k miles and have a lifter tick on cold starts. I don’t drive it hard day to day but taken it to two track days in its life.

I’ve noticed the engine stutter sometimes on low rpm, is the stutter possibly a cylinder misfire? Would you guys recommend I get my lifters changed as a precaution?

I love my SRT but I don’t know much about how the motor works so any advice is appreciated.
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this like many of us have. It's typical for the HEMI's to have lifter tick and has been for a while, not making it right but it's common. Mine had it for thousands of miles and most dealers and myself related it to the typical HEMI lifter tick. When mine finally damaged other internals, wiping multiple cam lobes, the first indication something was wrong was a misfire code / CIL. It felt severely under powered as well. Your best bet it letting a reputable shop / dealer take a listen / look and see what they'll do for you. I was a few month out of powertrain warranty by duration so I chose to rebuild and do it stronger sans MDS. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this like many of us have. It's typical for the HEMI's to have lifter tick and has been for a while, not making it right but it's common. Mine had it for thousands of miles and most dealers and myself related it to the typical HEMI lifter tick. When mine finally damaged other internals, wiping multiple cam lobes, the first indication something was wrong was a misfire code / CIL. It felt severely under powered as well. Your best bet it letting a reputable shop / dealer take a listen / look and see what they'll do for you. I was a few month out of powertrain warranty by duration so I chose to rebuild and do it stronger sans MDS. Good luck.
My 2016 had all lifters replaced at 58,000 miles 2 weeks ago at the dealer, as I have the extended warranty, and now the "lifter tick" is again reappearing. I think that the dealer should have replaced the cam at the same time, but they did not. I will drive it until it has a code, but it never had a code when I took it in for the lifters the first time either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2016 had all lifters replaced at 58,000 miles 2 weeks ago at the dealer, as I have the extended warranty, and now the "lifter tick" is again reappearing. I think that the dealer should have replaced the cam at the same time, but they did not. I will drive it until it has a code, but it never had a code when I took it in for the lifters the first time either.
Hello Gtrplr2,
We are sorry to hear about your ongoing concern. If you continue to work alongside your dealer in the future, please know our team is available to provide additional assistance if needed.
Laura
JeepCares

1 - 20 of 29 Posts