Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys with Kooks headers question for you all. Had mine on for years have never fit well. One header is hitting little on the frame rail making and obvious metal and metal sound which is exaggerated even more when I turn. I’ve had the jeep up on lift trying move things around to make them clear but it’s just not working. Am I alone in this? I may have to take them out heat them up and beat them up and hammer them until they don’t hit but that is just so much work. Part of me is sick of them and I want to throw them in garbage and get another set that actually fit. Maybe I just got a shit pair. Let me know if anyone has input... Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wild! bought mine new and bolted them to my ported heads and popped each one on at a time. Like a glove and zero issues... If they are hitting the frame I would sus out how they are mated first then check your motor mounts/bushings and see if your engine is sagging.

·
BlaBlaBla
5,179 Posts
No issues here either. What side is hitting?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Passenger side look how tight header is barely any light. With engine flex of a 440 and large can it’s enough for contact and metal on metal especially when turning. I’d love to see how someone elses looks and if it’s this tight. Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CAB3F035-A5EA-406D-9336-DC72756745DF_1532795952701.jpg . Not sure why pic didn’t attach but here is.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll have to check out the motor mounts. Maybe just replace them and see if that helps. So you guys saying you have lot more clearance than that? Thanks!

·
LAUNCH
1,065 Posts
My first though was motor mounts as well. And there is a little adjustment to be made if you install the mounts, get the positioning set, and then tighten everything down. Easier said than done but it adds more clearance where you need it. With all that said, maybe you did get a bad set.

No issues with mine. I did new motor mounts at the same time.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope no accident and they have always fit like this since day one when they were installed years ago. I should have tried to fix this a long time ago but put it off. Now is the time though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I’ve had two different sets of Kooks LTs on...neither one hit.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can someone please snap a pic for me of the passenger side header so I can see how much clearance is normal and compare to mine pic? I just popped the hood and stuck my iPhone down there to take the pic. I’m super curious to see what is normal. Thanks!

·
i dont like you...
600 Posts
you need a jack it up a bit more and tighten it. you'll need a standing jack once the car is up on the lift. then tighten it up and it should stop hitting the frame

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You lost me... I need to jack it up a bit and tighten what and it should stop hitting the frame? You talking about headers or motor mounts? I been thinking about doing solid motor mounts to try and fix issue which i know others have done but I’ve seen some comments about bad vibrations. I have big motor and cam so little worried about that. Jeep shakes at idle and stand still already from cam and motor not sure what that will feel like with solid motor mounts.

·
i dont like you...
600 Posts
Didnt know you have a bigger motor, etc. My self i had Jim do mine a few months ago and i had the same problem one side was tapping the frame sometimes, brought it back and i watch them use a standing jack to lift up the headers a bit more to clear and tighten it up and i was on my way. Took literally 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like same issue you had. Are u saying the weight of Jeep from jacking up the headers on one side bent them enough to give you clearance from frame on the one side? If so that’s a smart idea! Let me know if I’m understanding you right... Thanks!

·
i dont like you...
600 Posts
They didnt bend them. Theres oh soo much you can do by hand tightening so they used a stand jack to lift it up a bit more and then tightened them. As u already know the space is tight as hell there.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I’ll get a pic for you tomorrow. Gotta start taking it all out anyway. No issues on mine, that I remember.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts