Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with a customer Jeep that I hope one of you may have a quick answer to.

Car was built by another shop but never ran right and now they got bankrupt, and the customer came to us.
Its a 2006 SRT with a very mild cam (268) a magnuson supercharger and a magnaflow highflow catted x-pipe.

The car runs and drives great, and I cant feel like there is anything wrong with it, but on my laptop I clearly see knock in a very specific rpm range (in between of 5000 en 5500rpm) pic attached

It has dual catch cans, there wassn't any real oil in the blower, I did a compression check, checked the knock sensors and retorqued them, checked if the exhaust wassnt banging anywhere etc etc, and am starting to get a little lost.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel looks good and we pulled almost all the timing to see if it would make it disappear.
I have the tuning done via a buddy of mine over email, there is a diablo trinity with the car, and I use dataviewer to log it

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Fuel looks good and we pulled almost all the timing to see if it would make it disappear.

I have the tuning done via a buddy of mine over email, there is a diablo trinity with the car, and I use dataviewer to log it

1 - Look at Lt KNK and ST KNK degrees not volts

2- How do you know fueling is good?

3- Post up base spark and actual spark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Have you tried putting in race gas to see if the knock goes away?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for thinking with me guys!

Unfortunately I have no acces to race fuel, but we use this gas in all the cars we work on, it has a higher octane rating than premium gas

1 - Look at Lt KNK and ST KNK degrees not volts

2- How do you know fueling is good?

3- Post up base spark and actual spark
1. Attached

2. I measure air fuel while driving

3. Also in the attachement

Attachments

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Thanks for thinking with me guys!

Unfortunately I have no acces to race fuel, but we use this gas in all the cars we work on, it has a higher octane rating than premium gas

1. Attached

2. I measure air fuel while driving

3. Also in the attachement

1 degree of ST knk isn't bad since it is spiking and dropping down immediately.

Also please extend the legend down so I can see all of the colors for the graph.

Lastly, what is your AFR when the knock event occurs? I recommend you add that into the datalog because what you see on the gauge is usually the average of a few readings. The gauge refreshes at a slower rate then what you can see on the datalog. Additionally, you can add a little fuel which should slow down the flame front. I also need to see how much spark advance you are running that is why you need to pull down the legend.

Good luck! If you need any tune changes I recommend contacting a competent tuner like Joel

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, here you go.

afr is in between 11.3 / 11.5 above 5000rpm
I have the NGK AFR tool, I dont know if I can hook it up to the trinity, I didn't check that out yet

Attachments

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Thanks, here you go.

afr is in between 11.3 / 11.5 above 5000rpm

I have the NGK AFR tool, I dont know if I can hook it up to the trinity, I didn't check that out yet

Try adding some more fuel in that range. You are barely running any timing. Has this occurred multiple times?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have tried adding fuel, and the timing wassn't always this low, we just pulled almost all of it to see if it would get rid of it, but it does it every time.

Someone said to me it might be valvetrain related, but I dont know, the cam is very mild, and I would also think it would do it from there to the end of the rpm range if it was for example the valve springs, and not this within in these specific 500rpms every time.....

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
We have tried adding fuel, and the timing wassn't always this low, we just pulled almost all of it to see if it would get rid of it, but it does it every time.

Someone said to me it might be valvetrain related, but I dont know, the cam is very mild, and I would also think it would do it from there to the end of the rpm range if it was for example the valve springs, and not this within in these specific 500rpms every time.....

Could be just random noise then

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Well I wish there was a way to pin point it, because the customer also wants a smaller pulley lol

I personally wouldn't be concerned with it. The fact that it's an ultra quick spike and only 1 degree means it's very mild.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my tuning knowledge is unfortunately very limited, my tuner says it is something to worry about. his reason is that anything over 3volts on the knock sensor is actual knock being detected, not just a noise coming from somewhere.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
my tuning knowledge is unfortunately very limited, my tuner says it is something to worry about. his reason is that anything over 3volts on the knock sensor is actual knock being detected, not just a noise coming from somewhere.

Well best of luck then!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I finally got to changing the valve springs and pushrods, but still the same problem.

Unfortunately Joel never replied to my emails, so I did not get to talk to him.

Anybody else able to chime in?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts