Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, Recent purchase!!
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2017 SRT w maybe 50k miles on it. After lots of research sounds to me like keeping these hemis from getting too hot (stupid plastic radiator parts, twisted rods?), and more importantly well-oiled (low oil pressure at idle, plus flattened angle of the lifters path) are important to the life of the engine. Question is, do I spring for a better radiator and oil pump now, or do I wait until I'm out of drivetrain warranty? If something is brewing there I don't necessarily want to prolongue its life out of my warranty period. Vroom vroom.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
112 Posts
Mishimoto make a very good radiator for the wk2 but as far I’m aware the oil pumps are not the cause for the lifter failure and that the oil pumps on the 392 are very good

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figure keeping oil pressure more consistent will create better splash for the lifters from the crank.

·
Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
112 Posts
To change the oil pump you have to pull the engine out cause the sump needs to come off so you might as well do a cam and lifter upgrade that way negate the whole lifter failure scenario

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Youtube has videos w/o pulling the engine or dropping the oil pan. But yeah I'll probably do the radiator same time.

·
Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
112 Posts
You got to disconnect the pump from the pan pick up in the sump it’s not possible to remove the pump any other way

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not trying to act like I'd know what to do with any of it, but I literally watched a video of the pump being replaced without pulling the engine or dropping the oil pan.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not trying to act like I'd know what to do with any of it, but I literally watched a video of the pump being replaced without pulling the engine or dropping the oil pan.

Get a catch can. If you want to replace something in the engine preventatively, do a cam and lifters with mds delete. The lifters fail and eat the cam, more so when no catch can is added. Heat isn’t an issue with no mods. Headers and supercharging will add heat - headers wrapped mitigates. A 180 t stat will work wonders for coolant and oil temp once you’ve started adding upgrades and heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts