Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine is doing exactly the same thing you describe. The thing is though i removed the shifter assembly to take the switch out then tested the small gray switch with a fluke meter an got a signal from switch everytime i pressed the small lever button. So now i need to remove the key fob and test if every time i press the lever there is signal coming into the ignition switch solenoid for key release. If there is signal the igntion switch is most likley bad if no signal then there is another box attached to the shifter assembly that may need to be checked. The gray switch runs to that box then to ignition switch. Its crazy though sometimes it works other times i have to move shifter to right for a second for it to click like maybe that solenoid in the ignition switch is getting hung up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Joe, messed with the Jeep again today and I believe I found the culprit that is causing the problem. As you said before, it's not the park switch at the shifter. It is the ignition switch. I took mine off and then took it apart. Found what was making the key not go into the lock position. You have to take the cover and then the circuit board which is held in by two torx screws. It's a little tricky taking the board out but finally got it out. Seems that putting the key in and turning it to the run position helps releasing the board. Once it's out, you can see a coil which acts as a magnet. Underneath this is a metal plunger type piece with a spring and a plastic elbow "L" piece. This is the part that locks the key or prevents it from going to the lock position. This metal plunger goes inside the coil by magnetic force. I tried to make the spring "weaker" (don't know how to explain this) and also added dielectric grease all around the plastic elbow. Hoping this helps the magnet retrieve this metal plunger. Man, it's hard to explain all this but hope you see what I'm talking about if you ever decide to take your apart. Well, I have run around town today and shut off the Jeep around 5-7 times with no problems. Before this, I was having problems everytime I shut it off.
I will be asking for a quote for the ignition switch from the dealer next time I go over. Also need to know if I have to program the switch to the vehicle.
Hope this all helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will be taking mine out today but i plan an bypassing the lock switch. Going to try to see if some how i can remove the device that actually locks the ignition. Thanks getting this some what figured out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can you walk me through how you removed the ignition switch. Like the dash pieces that need to come off to get to it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok i got it figured out and took some pics while i was at it for anyone interested. I just decided to remove the plunger as i am not worried about being able to remove key while car is running really dont know who would take key out while car is running lol. This fixed my problem and i am happy again! Only tools need was a phillips screwdriver, flat head or pick for opening case, and a t-10 torx driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here are a few more...

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
And the last of them hopefully this helps someone out.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So does everything (radio, blower motor, etc) shut off when you remove the key? Everything working fine? Just want to make sure before I do the same thing as you. Thanks for posting the pics for everyone else that might be interested.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yep everything is working good because car still thinks it works but the plunger,spring and plastic black lock piece are removed so solenoid is still working just pulling on nothing. I wouldn't recommend unplugging anything but since the car thinks it is locking the ignition switch but the lock piece is gone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this issue and the dealership replaced the entire module and it still does it, so they are ordering another module from Detroit. In the mean time they also managed to break my remote starter in the process. I am guessing that is just a programming issue though. Cost of a replacement module is $78 and labor ran about $230 for me.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Anyone else run into this problem again? I am having the same issue, getting a quote for 650.00 to replace the ignition module

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Anyone else run into this problem again? I am having the same issue, getting a quote for 650.00 to replace the ignition module
Did you try adjusting the plunger like Malo suggested? I'm pretty sure he never had another problem with it again.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I fixed it permanently by trading in the Jeep for a Charger. lol

I did manage to fix the problem. I first took out the plunger in the ignition key box (part where key goes in) mentioned before. It worked for a little while then got the "radio stayed on" problem after removing the key. Radio would go off after playing around with the shifter. After several days/weeks of troubleshooting and messing with it, finally found the culprit. It was the park switch (grey switch at the front of the shifter assembly). But as mentioned before, dealer doesn't sell this switch by itself. I took the switch out and tore it apart. Inside this switch is another small little pin switch (this was the problem). Luckily it had a part number which I googled and found several sites that sell it. Those suckers are not even $2. Shipping was more than the damn switch. Replaced the pin switch and put everything back together. Problem fixed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to give a huge THANK YOU to malo and joehernandez86 for figuring out this quick fix and saving me $500 on just part and another $100 - $200 for programming from the dealership. The pics that joehernandez86 posted gave me the courage to go ahead and take apart the WIN Module and take out the pole that locks the key, thus fixing my issue.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I had the same problem. Thankfully my Jeep was covered under a factory recall for the ignition. The ignition was replaced and I got 2 new keys on the company's dime.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fixed it permanently by trading in the Jeep for a Charger. lol

I did manage to fix the problem. I first took out the plunger in the ignition key box (part where key goes in) mentioned before. It worked for a little while then got the "radio stayed on" problem after removing the key. Radio would go off after playing around with the shifter. After several days/weeks of troubleshooting and messing with it, finally found the culprit. It was the park switch (grey switch at the front of the shifter assembly). But as mentioned before, dealer doesn't sell this switch by itself. I took the switch out and tore it apart. Inside this switch is another small little pin switch (this was the problem). Luckily it had a part number which I googled and found several sites that sell it. Those suckers are not even $2. Shipping was more than the damn switch. Replaced the pin switch and put everything back together. Problem fixed. Hope this helps.
I’m having this same issue, by chance do you have the part number still??? I do t want to tear it all apart to get the part number and reassemble it while I wait, then tear it all apart again if I can help it. Thanks

21 - 37 of 37 Posts