Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. I have an '09 with the new style key/fob. Recently my Jeep's key started acting up. It will not go to the off position after shutting it off. You either have to play around with the key (turn on/off a couple of times) or wait for about 15-20 seconds. Only after a hear a clunk from the ignition key area can I turn the key to the off position and am able to remove the key. I'm out of warranty so taking it to the dealer is my last resort for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Does the EVIC display the "Not in Park" message when this happens?

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
are you still under warranty?? if so, take it to the stealership.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't get any messages on the EVIC display or anything. It just gets "stuck" and am unable to completely turn the key to the off position in order for me to get the key out. If I wait for about ten seconds after shutting off the Jeep, I hear a "clunk" from the ignition switch box and only after that can I completely turn the key to the left and remove the key. As of right now, I'm going to say it's the ignition box but just wanted to see if someone else has had this problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the same problem you have. Sometimes it does it sometimes it don't. The only thing I have found that helps unlock the key is to play with the shifter. Like leave it in the park spot and move it side to side until you hear the clunk from dash that lets you remove key fob. This is very annoying and I hope someone figured it out.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Mine does that when the power cord in my 12v outlet catches the shifter and prevents it from going all the way into park. Check the shifter lever next time it happens. If not then not sure what to tell you.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rich, are you talking about a power cord for your phone or electronic device or are you talking about the "power cord" wiring behind/under the console?

I have also tried moving the shifter side to side and back and forth with no luck. Need to get this fixed soon. It's getting very annoying.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Rich, are you talking about a power cord for your phone or electronic device or are you talking about the "power cord" wiring behind/under the console?

I have also tried moving the shifter side to side and back and forth with no luck. Need to get this fixed soon. It's getting very annoying.
Not under the console. I'm just referring to the coiled 12v power cord I keep plugged into my dash. It gets caught and prevents me from moving the shifter completely into Park and creats the same problem your having.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Another thing that Juan forgot to mention is that if it does this, he can go around and open the passenger door and the key unlocks from the ignition.

Juan- Honestly to me it sounds like it's gonna be a dealer fix. If you can find someone that has the 08+ service manual then you'll be in better shape.

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
this happened to me after i had my shifter assembly apart. there is a cable that goes from the shifter assembly to the ignition. that cable was not fully inserted into the shifter assembly. i pushed the cable back in and my key came out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Where is this cable you speak of? Also if you get this resolved let us know this problem has drove me crazy. I removed shift knob and everything else hiding the shifter but cant seem to see what the problem is. I do see a little gray switch that i would guess is the park switch. The shifter has to hit it when it goes into park. I can press this with shifter in any gear and it will release key. The thing is it dont always act up just sometimes. Maybe that switch needs replaced wish there was a way to diag. the switch.

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
the cable goes from the shifter thru the center console. its on the drivers side of the shifter assembly. has a yellow spring on it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, messed with the Jeep today. I played around with this switch which seems to be the park switch.
Joe, I also did the same thing as you and mine seems to sometimes unlock the key right away and sometimes take a little longer. I'm going to check this week to find the name of this switch and see how much this part costs. If it doesn't cost much, I'm going to buy it and see if that makes a difference or not. Will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yea Malo keep me updated on if you replace it or not if it fixes it i will do the same.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Did some research at work today and found out the name of the switch we've been talking about. Now I'm leaning more that this switch (Gated Park Switch) is going bad. I'm going to try to stop by the Jeep dealer tomorrow and see how much this part costs. I'll let you guys know price and part number and if this works or not if I do happen to buy it.
Here is an article I found talking about this switch and how everything works. Hope it helps.

FOBIK TRAPPED IN WIN (Wireless Ignition Node)

The FOB with Integrated Key (FOBIK) cannot be rotated to the LOCK position, allowing it to be removed from the ignition switch also referred to as Wireless Ignition Node (WIN).

The automatic transmission is shifted mechanically through a cable from the gearshift lever mechanism to the transmission. A gated park switch is physically located on and integral to the gearshift lever mechanism and is hard wired directly to the WIN.

The gated park switch is a simple plunger-like actuated open or closed contact switch that could be considered redundant to the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) except that it monitors the position selected with the gearshift lever, while the TRS monitors the position or gear of the Transmission that is actually engaged. A damaged or improperly adjusted gearshift cable could result in a different gear being engaged than that which is selected.

The WIN uses the gated park switch input to control an internal key lock solenoid, which controls whether the FOBIK can be rotated to the LOCK position. When the gearshift lever is not in the PARK position, the gated park switch is a closed circuit, the key lock solenoid is energized and the FOBIK cannot be rotated to the LOCK position for removal.

NOTE:

If you vehicle has a completely dead battery, and you used the valet key to get inside the Vehicle and note that nothing is working, placing the FOBIK in the WIN and trying to see if you can “start” the engine (nothing happens on dead battery) you may find that your FOBIK has now become "trapped" in the WIN and cannot be removed. Forcing the key out by brute force will only damage the WIN module and it will need to be replaced.

So, don't panic. You will have to CHARGE the vehicles battery up enough to see activity on the EVIC at which time you should be able to get the solenoid pin to activate and release the FOBIK from the WIN.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sweet yea let me know the part number and price i'd love to get this problem solved. I thought it had something to do with the little gray switch because sometimes when you press it it clicks and sometimes it dont.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Joe, went to the dealer today to get the info. I was told they don't sell the switch by itself. You have to buy the whole shifter assembly. Even talked to one of their mechanics and he told me the same thing. Might stop by another dealer and see what they tell me. Might try the parts store but I doubt they will have the part.
Mechanic at the dealer told me to check the junk yards for the part. That might be another option. But before that, might take off the switch and see if a good cleaning helps it out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Malo I just removed the switch an tested it on mine it's not the problem works every time no matter what so now I'm going to remove the ignition to see if the solenoid is getting a signal every time if it is most likely I have a bad ignition switch

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Joe, hope you get yours fixed. I still have to tear mine apart and check out the switch which I'm leaning more that is the problem on mine. Now, when the key gets stuck, I just move the shifter to the right for a couple of seconds. After I release it, I'm able to move the key to the lock position and remove the key. Need to get this fixed quickly before it annoys too much.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts