Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this installed about 3 months ago and one day I swear I will smash the screen. Either that or it will smash from an accident since I have to constantly look at it to see if my button press did anything...

Anyone else have one of these head units?
Man they have to be the slowest units on the market. At times it takes 5 seconds for a button press to work. And when it does work it takes another 2-3 seconds for the screen to display everything..

Anyway, I complained to the local installer here and he said it needed a firmware update and although after the update he said he sees a slight difference I see no difference.

that's the last time he gets my business. And that's after giving him over $6000 for sound, HID and an alarm that still doesn't work.

So with all of that said...I think I am going to try to get a stock nav unconnect but not sure if it works in the 06 non navi jeeps

· Registered
5,046 Posts
Get a Pioneer Z120/Z130BT

· Registered
3,440 Posts
If you want factory NAV & UConnect, you will probably have to go with the REC radio. i don't believe the MyGig is compatible with the canbus.

· Registered
271 Posts
Have had none of those issues with my 9980.

· Registered
400 Posts
I have been running Kenwood units and been installing them for ages. I never have issues with them. In fact, i recommend them over anything that pioneer, alpine, or clarion offer...simply for how well they operate and the abundance of superior features they offer. Haven't heard of them running slow.
Now... on a few Cheapo-Brand units i've installed, they've come back because it kept locking up during certain operations. It turned out that they were simply burnt up...and ended up being replaced under warranty. I can guarantee that those units were not improperly handled, as I treat all equipment as if it were my own.
You issue probably lies in the fact that your unit was not handled properly during installation or whatever forms of transportation it may have underwent. I will say that Kenwood units can be very delicate, especially the double-din units.

· Registered
5,046 Posts
I have been running Kenwood units and been installing them for ages. I never have issues with them. In fact, i recommend them over anything that pioneer, alpine, or clarion offer...simply for how well they operate and the abundance of superior features they offer. Haven't heard of them running slow.
Now... on a few Cheapo-Brand units i've installed, they've come back because it kept locking up during certain operations. It turned out that they were simply burnt up...and ended up being replaced under warranty. I can guarantee that those units were not improperly handled, as I treat all equipment as if it were my own.
You issue probably lies in the fact that your unit was not handled properly during installation or whatever forms of transportation it may have underwent. I will say that Kenwood units can be very delicate, especially the double-din units.
I have to disagree, I've see this unit in a friends car and in a display at a local high end shop and it is slow as f*ck. if you connect an iPod an have album art, you're talking 15+ seconds between song changes. I like both Kenwood and Pioneer so there is no bias but in terms of responsiveness, the Pioneer is definitely a better unit. Also, navigating in the unit is more "flat", you don't have to dig as deep to make changes.

· Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that I am searching around it def seems like it is affecting all 7180 units. A quick search pulled up all negative reviews and everyone complaining about the super slow interface. Someone even posted a YouTube video that had me laughing since my radio has the same laggy interface.

I really think they tried to mimic the iPod and failed big time. They tried to cram pack all these goodies into one unit and I think that contributes to the lag. I added camera,steering wheel controls, Sirius, iPod , and the radio has hd radio, Bluetooth iPod, video, hard drive, as well as some other stuff I will never use. So we are forced to scroll our way through the interface just to turn on Sirius. Don't even try to use the display to control my iPod. I just use the hand control.

I have my gig in another car and that interface although not very attractive and colorfull at least it is super responsive and just plain works.

· Registered
271 Posts
Must be a different processor in the 7180's or something to that nature.

I have all of the same connected add-ons as mentioned above, plus a second usb and hands free bluetooth built in and the longest delay I have is switching from the iPod source to another source. That takes about 3 seconds to complete. Everything else is very responsive.

I also have a DNX7100 in my second car, so I do understand the different between that slower interface and menu structure versus what I am currently using. Personally, I still love my Kenwood.

· Premium Member
17,169 Posts
I have the Kenwood 8019 and love it. No issues at all. Have you checked to see of there's a firmware update at all? My buddy has a Z12 and he couldn't believe how fast my iPod screening is. I do have mine set in fast though. Hehe. I have found though sometimes if I miss what I'm trying to touch it won't work. Usually happens if I hit a bump in the road while trying to touch it. Man, that could be taken all kinds of ways. Haha.

· Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the Kenwood 8019 and love it. No issues at all. Have you checked to see of there's a firmware update at all? My buddy has a Z12 and he couldn't believe how fast my iPod screening is. I do have mine set in fast though. Hehe. I have found though sometimes if I miss what I'm trying to touch it won't work. Usually happens if I hit a bump in the road while trying to touch it. Man, that could be taken all kinds of ways. Haha.
Yeah it has the latest firmware. that was the first thing the installer did was update that or at least he told me he did. But I see no difference at all..its pain-full.

· Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mr shuukru spamming my thread!

· Administrator
6,383 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.