Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need some advice. I have an '07 Srt8 with 45k miles and it's been a great truck but I want something a little more comfy for everyday use but still fast. I came across a '04 Cayenne with the twin turbo v8 and it has 33k miles and is in mint condition. I don't know much about Porsche but the thing drove really nice and handled better then I expected. I don't know how reliable they are and how much maintence costs, but the aftermarket on them is ridiculously high. A chip would cost me about $1500 let alone all the other mods. I hate to get rid of my Jeep because I've grown to love it so I'm torn. I left a deposit on the Porsche so it wouldn't get sold but I have to call them and let them know if I'll buy it or not.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Keep the 07

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
Keep the jeep, why would you want to go backwards in years?

The maintenance cost is also going to kill you and you will be wishing you still had the jeep.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
JEEP all the way imo .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was my main concern is going back in years plus maintence. They want 32k for the Porsche and are only giving me 25k for the Jeep. They're lowballing me I think.

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
Keep no brainer American over import :) plus it's up there in the years n probably will hit some problems soon

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
+6 ? Keep the 07 .. Looks better, and the Porsche will be pushing 10+ years<- asking for trouble.

Both are nice vehicles though !

·
Registered
419 Posts
This isn't the place to be asking. Go to the Porsche forums and get an idea of the real maintenance costs. How much you can realistically do yourself, where to source wholesale parts, common problems for that year, etc. I think it would be cool to drive a TT Cayenne for a while.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just found out that is has an extended warranty 3 years 30k miles, not too shabby.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Just found out that is has an extended warranty 3 years 30k miles, not too shabby.
Just a thought, but you should find out when they need to get the turbos rebuilt. I had a friend who owned a V10 Tourag (really sweet car) and his 60k service included the rebuild... The bill was WICKED!

Otherwise might be an intersting experience, I always wanted to at least drive one of those... Gotta have respect for a sweet turbo motor!

·
Registered
665 Posts
NO! Don't do it . My Brother in law has one and it's a crazy thing when you get the bill for service trust me you could buy and SRT8

·
Registered
673 Posts
You're looking at an 8 year old car, that is slower, handles worse, a maintenance nightmare, and is starting to look somewhat dated in appearance compared to all the new Cayennes I see the moms driving.....can you tell me where you went wrong in this process?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Take the out of pocket money you are going to spend for the Porsche and get some mods. Also the insurance has to be more because of the repair costs.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Alright, I've been down this road already but not on the slower 04' cayenne turbo but the '06 turbo s which is faster. First thing you have to do is make sure the plastic coolant lines (it comes stock like this) have been replaced by the newer metal one or it can cause some serious damage(the escaping hot coolant will fill the engine's valley area until it overflows into the back of the engine and into the tiptronic torque convertor area which can in turn damage the starter and torque convertor components...labour to do this alone will kill you because of its location lol). That cost alone is a couple of grand just to replace the lines so I could not imagine paying the price for the damage that it will cause if it is not replaced....I know for sure it would be above $3000 because to replace the torque convertor seal the transmission will have to be removed. It will only be a matter of time before it leaks(Very uncomfortable feeling) Then you have to ensure that you don't get a build with a scored cylinder wall since some people ended up with that...I think they had to buy a brand new motor when it was all said and done...You could probably buy a used jeep srt8 at that price. In addition to this, a problem called oil sweating near the left turbo has been reported and you will have to pay to get that fixed as well. Then there is the problem of driveshaft vibration where the driveshaft must be replaced to solve this problem. Also look for cracked front control arm bushings, problems with the tpms, problems with ignition coils, valvetrain and cam timing faults(replace camshaft), problems with the parking brake return strut, evap purge valve, ac leaks, transfer case, ac leaks, hatch lift springs, tiptronic solenoid failure etc. If you carry the car in for just reguar service, everything cost money so it is easy to run up in the thousands. With the age of the '04's especially, you might have to replace the air suspension system soon as they can be problematic. Do not expect a forum like this if you have any problems with your porsche...I have been on the Porsche forums for a while and asked a ton of questions and some people have no clue and/or lots of questions remain unanswered....and if answered the responses were quite vague. Remember even with warranty, your time has to be worth something...you are going to have downtime getting repairs done and going back and forth to the dealership which I am sure can be utilised somewhere else..some parts will have to be outsourced so make sure you have a good loaner program(they would have to put me in the new turbo s and not a ricer toyota corolla for those weeks if I will have to wait for a part to come in lol I have debated this idea and have been back and forth and have been on test drives, drives great, feels fast as hell although my ride will smoke it, not really as comfortable and as well bolstered as my jeep but peace of mind is priceless!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.