Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm trying to swap my stock air filter with either a k&n or a AEM drop in panel filter for now, is there one specialy made for 2012 JGC SRT8? i looked but couldnt find one specific made for it, because i also read that one of you guys here has the k&n drop in filter in his wk2. or will the same one made for the 2011-2012 for both the 3.6 v6 and the 5.7 hemi v8 jeeps fit and work just as fine? if so which one would you say i go for? and will i need to be worried about anything?

thanks in advance

Ace

· Registered
231 Posts
:p
i'm trying to swap my stock air filter with either a k&n or a AEM drop in panel filter for now, is there one specialy made for 2012 JGC SRT8? i looked but couldnt find one specific made for it, because i also read that one of you guys here has the k&n drop in filter in his wk2. or will the same one made for the 2011-2012 for both the 3.6 v6 and the 5.7 hemi v8 jeeps fit and work just as fine? if so which one would you say i go for? and will i need to be worried about anything?

thanks in advance

Ace
I believe Mongoose had a K&N before converting to a Bwoody CAI, you could try asking him

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
:p

I believe Mongoose had a K&N before converting to a Bwoody CAI, you could try asking him
Sure did! They all use the same air box, just look up a 5.7 filter and use it. I got a thread in the intake section with my K&N panel filter when I did that. Pics and part number are in there. I also have my slightly used 2-3k miles filter for sale.
http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60808

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
197 Posts
Has anyone compared the specs of the K&N and AEM Replacement filters for the 6.4L, and if so, which one would you choose, and why? Ignore any price difference...I'm looking for more performance. Many thanks.

· Registered
467 Posts
Has anyone compared the specs of the K&N and AEM Replacement filters for the 6.4L, and if so, which one would you choose, and why? Ignore any price difference...I'm looking for more performance. Many thanks.
More performance from a drop in? Good luck. I know people say they can feel more throttle response etc, but I'm a skeptic. If you get any performance advantage, it will be very minimal.

Just my opinion.

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
More performance from a drop in? Good luck. I know people say they can feel more throttle response etc, but I'm a skeptic. If you get any performance advantage, it will be very minimal.

Just my opinion.
A good aftermarket panel filter will flow more air than a stock paper will. More air can mean better performance. I noticed some sound and throttle difference when I dropped the K&N in for a couple thousand miles.

Nothing compared to the bwoody though :D

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ok so i got a chance to run both filters on two different days on the same road and launch point with the same amount of gas in the tank without the spare tire, here is what i got on the evic:

K&N (temp 64f):
1\4 mile-13.2 @ 105 only one run
0-60-4.6 first run, 4.6 second run, 4.5 third run

AEM (temp 70f)
1\4 mile-13.1 @ 106 (with bad shifting)
0-60 4.5 first run (with bad shifting), 4.5 second run(again with bad shifting), 4.5 (not so good shifting) my manual shifting was just terribly off that night but got decent numbers compared to the other night when trying out the K&N where my shifting was just perfect.

so with the AEM i got the same numbers all day and it also sounds better coz it allows more air to be sucked through as it seems. so yes i'll stick with the AEM until i could order me a bwoody :D, by the way were can i order it from?

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
There is a brand new Silver bwoody for sale in the for sale section. Painted silver.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
197 Posts
ok so i got a chance to run both filters on two different days on the same road and launch point with the same amount of gas in the tank without the spare tire, here is what i got on the evic:

K&N (temp 64f):
1\4 mile-13.2 @ 105 only one run
0-60-4.6 first run, 4.6 second run, 4.5 third run

AEM (temp 70f)
1\4 mile-13.1 @ 106 (with bad shifting)
0-60 4.5 first run (with bad shifting), 4.5 second run(again with bad shifting), 4.5 (not so good shifting) my manual shifting was just terribly off that night but got decent numbers compared to the other night when trying out the K&N where my shifting was just perfect.

so with the AEM i got the same numbers all day and it also sounds better coz it allows more air to be sucked through as it seems. so yes i'll stick with the AEM until i could order me a bwoody :D, by the way were can i order it from?
Thanks for the comparison....just what I wanted. I went with the AEM because it doesn't have to be oiled, and is supposed to be an improvement on the K&N (which ownes AEM). I drove 5000 mies on the stock filter, so I have a pretty good feel for the before and after throttle response with the AEM. It is a real improvement, and I don't think it's just my imagination. The AEM is well made, and a great value. Very easy to install....just make sure the lid of the filter box is properly seated at the opposite side before you try to snap shut the two latches on the near side.

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a brand new Silver bwoody for sale in the for sale section. Painted silver.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
i was just about to purchase it, but i got a call from a friend telling me that he found someone who will make a carbon fiber intake and isolation box for me, so i just went ther to get everything mesured, it would be 4" from filter and gradualy goes to 3.5 or 3" at the throttle, should be interesting. will update you when it's ready to be installed.

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comparison....just what I wanted. I went with the AEM because it doesn't have to be oiled, and is supposed to be an improvement on the K&N (which ownes AEM). I drove 5000 mies on the stock filter, so I have a pretty good feel for the before and after throttle response with the AEM. It is a real improvement, and I don't think it's just my imagination. The AEM is well made, and a great value. Very easy to install....just make sure the lid of the filter box is properly seated at the opposite side before you try to snap shut the two latches on the near side.
glad the comparison helped. indeed the throttle response is the first thing you notice.
punch down and you will hear the difference in sound.

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
i was just about to purchase it, but i got a call from a friend telling me that he found someone who will make a carbon fiber intake and isolation box for me, so i just went ther to get everything mesured, it would be 4" from filter and gradualy goes to 3.5 or 3" at the throttle, should be interesting. will update you when it's ready to be installed.
That's cool. Keep us posted.

I contacted Volant about an intake prior to buying my Bwoody. They want to make an intake for the WK2 SRT8, but didn't have a R&D Jeep yet. They would make an intake similar to what your describing.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
467 Posts
Anyone have the part number for the AEM? I might have to see if I notice any difference.

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.