Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Nice! Now give me at least 6 speed tranny and a different navi for 2013 so I can buy one damn't!

The 2011 GC had a 5 speed and 2012 has a 6 speed. No reason you can't do the same for the SRT8.

I so badly want to buy one but can't pull the trigger until something is fixed (tranny, boring rear, wheels, head unit). Just fix one of these blunders so I can justify buying one

·
Speed Junkie
483 Posts
Nice! Now give me at least 6 speed tranny and a different navi for 2013 so I can buy one damn't!

The 2011 GC had a 5 speed and 2012 has a 6 speed. No reason you can't do the same for the SRT8.

I so badly want to buy one but can't pull the trigger until something is fixed (tranny, boring rear, wheels, head unit). Just fix one of these blunders so I can justify buying one
Pretty sure no changes till 2014 ..... I definitely don't see these as blunders my advice would be to drive it and you'll be convinced:D

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yeah, I don't see that as "blunders."......maybe a little short-sighted but not blunders.

Sure, it would be nice to have a 6-sp or a better Nav, but it's not necessary to enjoy this car.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You guys up north get the rags a day or two before they make it down south... wil probably get it tommorow. It was in the Motortrend that came today.

Definately a bad ass ad... but I dont give a shit what someone at the Journal has to say about it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dan Neil knows his shit about vehicles. Look him up. Anybody watch "The Car Show"?

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
I like it. I think I saw that before. Maybe on drivesrt when I was browsing.

Sent from my iPad 3G

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't want everyone to have these things. I have been one of a very few in my state of WI. They start advertising them and everyone will have them. Good ad though.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeah, I don't see that as "blunders."......maybe a little short-sighted but not blunders.

Sure, it would be nice to have a 6-sp or a better Nav, but it's not necessary to enjoy this car.
I'm starting to see the weakness of the 5 speed older transmission. Lots of awkward downshifts, a little clunky and it just can't seem to be in the right gear all the time. It's light years behind my old Caddy 6 speed auto.

Now the nav thing I don't understand. It's easy to use, it works very well and the screen plenty large for me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's the same transmission.

Technically speaking, the unit in the Jeep has always been a 6 speed. It has an extra gear that is only used in kickdowns from a higher gear. The "6 speed" is nothing more than a programming change to allow that gear to be accessed via autostick (or paddles), and a marketing name change. The transmission itself is identical.

FWIW, I don't imagine very many normal GC owners will be slamming through the gears in autostick to get to that extra gear, so really there's no gain.

The nav thing... it would be nice. The market is trending towards larger screen, more integrated source units. You can do some pretty cool stuff with the 8.4N, but as far as the actual nav/radio portion is concerned, there's no difference except size. There's drawbacks to the 8.4N as well that a lot of people haven't considered.

How many WK1 owners have swapped out their nav units? A pretty decent number I'd say. With the 8.4N, you don't have that possibility, you're stuck with it. So if that big touchscreen gets damaged because your kid has a hissy fit in the backseat and throws their sippy cup at it, that's going to cost a LOT to have fixed, with no option for replacing with an aftermarket unit. Furthermore, you're locked in to Chrysler for map updates, you won't have the ability to say, buy a head unit that can use google maps off your phone for free, you have to pay however much Chrysler wants for their updates (though frankly, if you're buying anything over $40k the cost of map updates shouldn't be an issue to you IMO).

It would be nice to have more gears, but realistically the more gears you have, the more often it shifts, and oddly enough most people complain about that saying "it can never decide what gear it wants to be in" or "it's always hunting for gears".

There's tradeoffs with everything. IMO it's a great package as it sits. When it does get a new transmission and source unit, you can kiss any idea of "DIY work on it" goodbye, because I guarantee you that the new transmission won't let you DIY much in the way of anything without special tools. It's going to move it more upmarket, where you take it to the dealership for everything.

·
JEEP SRT since 2006
1,294 Posts
Now the nav thing I don't understand. It's easy to use, it works very well and the screen plenty large for me.
Have you used the new one in the 300 or Charger? It's amazing... The one we have is good but it's aged a bit from the state of the art. Of course I'd also love to have the all digital dash that the Dart has too, so I'm going to wait for that one.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The biggest problem I have with the NAV is the low res.....to me, it looks like VGA (640 X 480)?.....hard to read the street names on the map sometimes when you don't zoom all the way in. Couple that with the small screen and when you use it in split screen mode, everything's a jumbled mess.

When you realize that even a cheap cell phone these days has a screen that's much sharper and more vibrant, it's inexcusable.

Also, the omission of HD radio and Pandora is perplexing.

FM reception is below average....I always hear some static even on the strongest stations.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am totally disagreeing with you on gear.

Having more gear gives you better gas mileage on the highway cruise. Extra gear are more for economical than shortening existing gear.

Finding gear issue with other car... May be you are taking about non premium cars.. i had no issue with search for the right gear on 7speed amg.

Having extra gear will defy. Benefit the rig

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
555 Posts
When i saw it it bought a tear to my eye... ;-)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.