Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

New owner. Been kicking around the forum here for a month or so and thought I would introduce myself. Just got an 08 black on black srt8 with I think every option possible. From reading on the board I have everything from HID lights to rear seat DVD. That happened just by chance. I just foudn the closest srt8 and went and bought it.

This is my daily driver and looking to do some small interior and exterior mods. tails and halos if I can find them but DCSpecial said they dont make them for my current headlight. Not looking to do turbos and blowers and all that right now. Just a 9-5 suit and tie kind of guy that likes to get in his car at the end of the day and snap his head back at stop lights :)

I read some other member intros and there seems to be 3 small musts

Diablosport Predator hand held tuner- Can someone explain how this works. Do I just plug this in and play or does it need to be professionally installed. Also where can I get one? What kind of price should i expect to pay. This seems like the most exciting mod but Need to learn alot more about it

185 t-stat - No idea what this is or how easy it is to install or if it needs to be done by a pro or what to expect from this upgrade.

and Lastly a catch can- Again this is one I have no idea how east or hard it is to install or what it does and therefore have NO idea what to expect from the mod.

Can anyone shed some light on this for the new guy? Im goign to keep reading and see if i can find the answers myself also.

Have a 1198 Ducati as well and been on those boards a while and know how much INFORMATION is on here buried deep in peoples personal experiences. Looking forward to digging it up. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
The Catch Can is an easy install...just look up Billet Technology and get yourself one. The instructions come with it and should only take you about 30 min. to install with simple tools.
The 180 thermostat is a little more involved, but that that difficult if you know your way around engines at all. Will make a little bit of a mess if you don't know what you are doing with all the coolant.
The Diablo is a hand-held tuner for the Jeep...pretty simple to use. Anyone on here can walk you through it. You should think about getting a custom tune from Johan on here along with it. His handle is diablotoona...PM him and he might be able to explain a little more. It doesn't get any better than his customer service. After that...you will be good to go!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Those 3 mods are a must and youll enjoy ur rig more after. trust me.
1. Catch can prevents oil from going to filtration system and good for long haul of the engine.
2. 180 tstat is good for keep the rigs temp down and helps the motor run efficiently without over heating.
3. Predator Tune ur rig with Johan. He is the TOONA and you'll see his tunes are amazing once they are uploaded. The predator plugs into the jeep similar to the way emissions testing is done. Then you can add, modify, and remove from your rig to have it run to your liking. The Catch Can and TSTAT also play a role in safeguarding the rig from some of the more "agressive" tunes that Johan might provide.

good luck. welcome.

·
Premium Member
16,354 Posts
Man, looks clean!!! I see a nice reflection. How many miles are on it?

Anyways, congrats, you came to the right place!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
50k miles on it so far.

for the Diablo tuner. Does do you buy one and have him do all the laptop tuning and you just plug it in and rock and roll. or would he tell you what to adjust on the software and you do it all yourself?

Plug and play would be GREAT!

im excited. seems like affordable ways to get the big guy to perform even better. I notice a little bogging down when she is in over drive at lower speeds. unless I gas it enough to drop a gear or am in tiptronic mode will the move quick at the touch of the gas. Im assuming the tuner will make that go away and keep she shifts much smoother and keep it higher in the rpm range through each gear.

I have had some trouble finding tail lights that arent ricey. Do you guys have any suggestions on tails. I want to do LED and simple or even just smoke the ones I have.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a cert. Diablo tuner about 20 mins from me here too. Do you suggest going there or using the site sponsor?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, i didnt see responses to 2 questions. The Catch can and the t stat mods. Are they just long term preventative mods or will I notice actual performance increases from these.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
From the tstat you will see your temperature MUCH cooler... and the catch can will prevent sludge in the long term..

Welcome to the family! Your beast looks great!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly I thought my baby was sweeeeeeet but then I just saw photos of the new 2012 in another thread in gray and I feel inferior now.... oh well.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
WHen the wk1 is lowered, tinted, and the headlights are painted i don't think many vehicles look even close to as mean as it does... The wk2 does look good though

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
Best thing to do is buy the tuner and head up to ST MOTORSPORTS in San Bernadino and get a cmr dyno tune from ADAM.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats a pretty decent ride. Does anyone know of any good custom guys directly in San Diego?

·
Registered
806 Posts
im kinda in the same boat as you minimum mods, what i have is cold air intake,(mopar)
the preditor tuner and i had my resonaters cut out of the exaust for a little more sound. I dont have a catch can or tstat. i will be getting the catch can because it makes sense to me but i doubt if ill do the tstat because frankly i hardly drive the thing as im never home. but i dont race it or anything just the hard pull here and there when leaving a traffic light. and overheating hasnt been an issue for me(yet)
with the preditor tuner it is plug and play to a certain degree it comes with several tunes built in, 91 octane no cold air intake (CAI) 91 with cai 93 oct.with and without cai. if i remember correctly. these tunes you choose from within the preditor yourself,and they can be installed and removed and the stock tune reinstalled before taking the truck in to a dealer for any service. as for the custom tunes its a little more involved you hook up the preditor and drive the vehicle thru various stages of acceleration mostly wide open throttle (WOT) i assume. I havent done it as im kinda lost on how to download the whole thing im not terribly computer literate. I do feel that there is definatly a differance with the tune installed over the stock tune. and if you buy a preditor i would buy a new one as opposed to used. (just my opinion) hope this helps
..forgot to mention the tuner just plugs into the obd port located above your left leg at the bottom of the dash

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do they have a website? I am trying to google them and having little luck finding their info

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.