Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Trinity off a board member and have been emailing Johan on getting a custom tune. I sent Johan a few emails being I was having a hard time trying how to get a datalog to him. Anyway I just sent him a datalog run and the mods I have and this was his reply:

I would need your original backup file also to adjust, I really did not need the log from stock tune thou.

I'm confused on what he wants and thought a datalog run sent to him was what he needed. This is starting to get more complex than I'm sure it really is. Can someone tell me exactly what to send him.

I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
plug your trinity into the computer and use ds downloader to get tune file from tool aka original backup

send an email with mods and attach original backup file in the email and await your revised tune file

then use the dsdownloader to send tune file to tool, select the modified tune and then when it asks for you to select the original backup select the one you got off the tool to send to johan

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the Reply.

I just tried to retrieve the Backup file, but it says doesn't have one or Last tune.

What am I missing?

·
Super Moderator
11,037 Posts
You need to act like you are loading one of the canned tunes while plugged into your Jeep. It will then force you to download your original tune.

Sent from a place

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what's going on here.

Is this process possible with a PC or do I need a Laptop?

When I hit the Get Tune File from Tool this message shows up

Device does not appear to have Backup or Last tune

Select Ok to continue or Cancel to abort

Hit OK

Select Tune + Click OK to continue
Original (PCM/TCM) Backup from tool

Failure retrieving Tune from tool

Error reported was 'Performance Tune' menu to read your 'Original Backup' before exporting.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Johan does great work, I have used him several times and he never disappoints me. He usually sends out some detailed instructions I thought...

I ran into a similar problem when I bought a trinity from another member. The trinity was unmarried like it needed to be but my jeep had a previous diablosport tune on it. I had to call diablosport and force the back up. After a decent hold time the process only took a few minutes where you enter a code they give you. It's a problem if the vehicle doesn't have the original stock tune...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Supraman,
Come up to Great Lakes Dragaway tonight. Bring a laptop with the DS downloader installed on it and we'll get you set up. If you don't have a laptop...come up anyway. I will have mine with me and can show you what you need to know.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Supraman,
Come up to Great Lakes Dragaway tonight. Bring a laptop with the DS downloader installed on it and we'll get you set up. If you don't have a laptop...come up anyway. I will have mine with me and can show you what you need to know.
We were just up there last weekend. Can't make it today. Funny story of me playing games with a twin turbo Bentley on the way home, which is another topic. My son says he thinks he now knows what Johan wants and when he comes home from work will try and send him the backup file. Thanks for all the info guys. Its funny we have 3-laptops at home and a PC and my son tunes his Typhoon with one of them and I can't believe we were having this hard time getting a tune for the Jeep. We never worked with any hand held tuning devices only a laptop.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
" He usually sends out some detailed instructions I thought..."

I think this is were the problem started for us. There were so many detailed pages sent that it became confusing. There really should be some sort of simple tutorial to get a tune.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the custom tune loaded finally, thank you guys for the tips. Anyhow the first thing I notice that the throttle response is much better without delay. Then notice the shifts are more crisp and feels quicker. My 0-60 was only 4.53. My stock time was 4.58 so not much of a gain . I wrote Johan and I'll see what he says.
What is a really a good time for a custom tune. From the research I did on the forum with a basically stock truck with corsa exhaust, Cai, 180 tstat, catch can I was hoping for low 4.0. Is this a realistic time?

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
That time is about right but you need to do some 1/8 mile times if you have the space to do it. At the drag strip my fastest 0/60 was 4.3 and my 2012 is bone stock.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Stop by my shop and I'll show you how to do it all that includes adjustments
to the tune after and reading logs. No Prob

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I have the instruction I could email to you. PM your email. If you have a trinity it really is easier than it seems

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the response guys. What I'm trying to say is I already loaded Johan's custom tune and that was the above times 0-60 when I took a run and the Jeep feels great but seat of the pants verses actual times that I'm seeing on the Trinity did not improve all that much. Johan emailed me and told me he would need a wide open throttle log to check it out which I'll send him this evening.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I got my 2nd tune from Johan which he added more fuel. Did a 0-60 run and same time again with 4.5. Also did a 1/8 mile run we have a spot near my house and that was 8.63 at 84 mph. Last year at the track on a stock tune I ran a 13.1 - 1/4 mile and the 1/8 mile was 8.4 at 81mph. Still hope he can squeeze more out of this.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
When did you run the 4.58 stock time? Also I would hit the track and see what you run in the rig with those same mods I hit a 13.02 @ 103 mph in low 50°F weather with a canned tune and as high as 13.4 in hot weather. DA has a lot to do with guys running all different times...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Knuckles,

The 4.58 0-60 on a stock tune was done 1-day before I got the Custom tune same weather conditions. I wanted to have somewhat of a baseline using the Trinity on stock verses custom tune. So far the seat of the pants it feels pretty good but the proof is what I'm reading on the Trinity either 0-60 or 1/8 and I haven't seen much of a difference yet. Unless the Trinity is not that accurate but I haven't read anything before. Sure I can go to the track but why spend money when I'm not seeing much of a difference on the Trinity.

Rick

When did you run the 4.58 stock time? Also I would hit the track and see what you run in the rig with those same mods I hit a 13.02 @ 103 mph in low 50°F weather with a canned tune and as high as 13.4 in hot weather. DA has a lot to do with guys running all different times...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scott,

I appreciate the offer and I will hook up with you sometime soon maybe when all the turbo guys with their new transmissions hit GLD and you bring your beast out and you can then show me and my son some tuning tricks with this Trinity. My son is almost done tuning his Typhoon after almost 30 datalogs with the new cam, heads and meth so hopefully he's ready and I get my times alittle lower also. I already paid for a custom tune so I just want to see what he can do.

Stop by my shop and I'll show you how to do it all that includes adjustments
to the tune after and reading logs. No Prob

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
My best was a 4.3 0to60 and 12.9/105 1/4 using the EVIC... near perfect DA day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts