Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a 2007 Jeep SRT8 and was thinking about throwing in a supercharger possibly a Vortech. I read different things like it depends how you drive if your flooring it opposed to driving around town keeping the rpm's low for best fuel efficiency. Anyone have some insight if the mpg will go up/stay the same/go down and by how much under racing and fuel efficiency conditions, thank you.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I have the vortech + a CAM is not so bad if you drive it like you're DD a Prius ( BUT WILL YOU ? :) ) highway cruise on my way to Boston with wife and kid taking real easy , 70mph i get 16-17 , I also have twins 255 walbro and once i start hitting the gas i could suck up one thank in less then 2 Hours for sure .

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I dunno..most here who buy a supercharger do it for more every day power,they are not worried about fuel efficiency..I mean in stock form these rigs are thirsty as is.With that being said the vortech performs like a stock jeep when easing on the throttle in town & stop & go traffic,you wont even know its their,besides the light whining noise,it still burns a little more fuel then N/A it burns a shit more fuel when you throttle up & catch boost! I honestly dont take note of my mpg..I pay to play so I'm at the Gas station pretty frequent..alot more then when I was N/A ..:)

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Well said Norm :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I dont own a Vortec but I have almost all the bolt ons.... with the right tune... this jeep has the capability to give LESS than 10 mpg.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
I say less then 8 mpg if you drive it pretty aggressive.... Currently I only get 8 mpg and all I have is a cam and a few bolt on's....

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
I get 12.5mpg's around town and 17'ish on the highway running 75mph. That's with a turbo though and running twin Walbro 400's. Only one 400 runs full time. My city milage goes up to 13 if I drive like a normal person but I can't stay out of BOOST!! Haha. It's fun.:D

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
As long as you stay out of boost its not so bad.

That being said I know exactly where and how far away every Sunoco gas station is in my town.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Since MPG's came up here are your (anyone) #'s from the on board computer or hand caluculated?
I try to drive "normal" but that last about 2 minutes. Just cant stay out of it :rofl:

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
I got about 12-13 MPGs when I was stock. Once I added the blower and twin fuel pumps I don't think Ive seen anything over 8mpg.
Like others said... I don't pay this kind of money on horsepower just to have it. I use it! No interest in getting decent MPGs when I'm driving my jeep. I want to enjoy driving it. I don't think I get more than 5mpgs when I'm really having fun. When these motors get into boost they get very thirsty.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Remember the ECU in the dash that shows "AVG fuel economy" is wrong once you change out the injectors.
It's measuring how hard the injectors are working and the system is calibrated for stock injectors..

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I am getting a 2007 Jeep SRT8 and was thinking about throwing in a supercharger possibly a Vortech. I read different things like it depends how you drive if your flooring it opposed to driving around town keeping the rpm's low for best fuel efficiency. Anyone have some insight if the mpg will go up/stay the same/go down and by how much under racing and fuel efficiency conditions, thank you.
This is a perfect question for my set up. I have a Vortech V3 kit bolted on my stock 08' SRT8 Jeep which zero other mods. Not even cutouts let alone a cat back.
Anyway since I'm in Canada I'm in kms. I typically got about 360-400 (380 avg.) kms with city driving depending how much fun I was having. Since the blower install under the same circumstances I get about 320-360 kms now (so 340 avg.) I lost about 25 average miles per tank which in my mind is a very fair trade off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.