Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Swedish magazine Teknikens Varld’s accusations toward the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee became much harder to dispute with the rag’s latest video. Both the clip and brief article that accompany it end with a pointed message that says: “Don’t buy the Jeep Grand Cherokee, for you and your family’s safety.”

Harsh allegations on both sides brought tension to a snapping point this week between Chrysler and the magazine after it published a story accusing the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee of posing a potentially fatal rollover risk during its “moose test.”

The moose test, which as Chrysler pointed out, is unsanctioned by any regulatory body, is meant to simulate a driver suddenly swerving to avoid an obstruction at roughly 40 mph.

It didn’t take long for things to heat up between the two groups, with Chrysler’s senior vice president of communications coming out of the gate swinging. He wrote a blog post that accuses the Swedish rag of unprofessionalism and cheating, to which it responded quickly in its own defense. The journalists behind the story argued that Chrysler provided incorrect weight ratings for what the Grand Cherokee could handle safely, which is what produced the dramatic results first seen last Monday.
Read more about the Grand Cherokee moose test controversy at AutoGuide.com.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
For the love of god.........who makes an evasive meneuver like that with their foot to the floor........honestly??? When you swerve wildly like that, not only do you run the risk of losing control of your own vehicle, but you are potentially entering oncoming traffic, or another vehicle's lane. Rarely ever do you have the space around your vehicle to swing out of your lane like that. If you catch a dirt shoulder driving like that in an SUV.......you're going to roll. Tell them to apply the brakes when they swerve........instead of trying to do a Scandinavian flick. :rolleyes:

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
^^^Yeah that test proves nothing, the real life application is hardly ever there. Stupid Sweedens :p

Reactions: BJB

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I agree that these are not "normal driving" maneuvers but rather the question I have is why Jeep is the only one failing?.... they must put all makes through the same maneuver no ?

·
Administrator
6,373 Posts
This whole test is a bunch of BS right from the start. Sure it's instinctive to swerve, but that doesn't make it right.

If you suddenly have a deer before your car, brake firmly. Do not swerve and leave your lane; many accidents are not due to colliding with the deer but are the result of driving into another car or truck in the opposite lane while trying to avoid the animal. The best thing to do is drive defensively in the first place and go slowly enough that you won't collide with a moose and can brake in time.
I remember taking defensive driving courses in the military and they ALWAYS said to steer to the right.

How To Aviod A Moose or Deer Collision

Bernie

·
Registered
162 Posts
something stinks about this... also, tires coming off or prying off rims is "chryslers" fault how??? wouldnt that be a tire manufacturer issue? And i agree with the above comments...whoever swerves that aggressively while accelerating in any suv is plain stupid....on top of that your natural "untrained" instinct would be braking rather then... right foot planted and steering around unplanned obstruction

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
your natural "untrained" instinct would be braking rather then... right foot planted and steering around unplanned obstruction
Exactly, 99.9% of the general public do not have the where-with-all to react like Travis Pastrana in a situation like that. Maybe the Sweeds should take it down a few knotches........ in this country that's considered aggressive and reckless driving, and earns you a marked lanes violation at the very least. Sometimes you just gotta hit shit.

In reguards to other vehicles not failing the "test".............who cares????? The "test" doesn't replicate any driving situation that you will ever encounter, making the results pointless. You're never going to make a meneuver like that, so you shouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
well run test. clear results. what can you say? glad i don't own that car.

thumbs up to Teknikens Varld for exposing this.

·
Premium Member
12,170 Posts
No offense guys, but if I still owned a Jeep and the tires did that during an evasive maneuver, I'd be pissed. Why are you guys jumping on the tester? I did some crazy maneuvers in my WK1 and it never did that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In Wisconsin at dusk, I was coming up over a hill doing 55mph on a rural road and there was a herd of cows crossing the road. Swerving wouldn't have done anything, as I would have hit another cow. I guess the best way to avoid hitting a moose, cow, elk, or other native woodland creatures is to do what I did, use the mother-fraking brake pedal!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I remember taking defensive driving courses in the military and they ALWAYS said to steer to the right.

Bernie

I had to take a course but it was because I was required to by the grand ol state of Iowa. I remember the instructor saying go left. I believe most car seat manuals say to put the child seat behind the driver because of this. Butni could be completely wrong, Why right?

·
Administrator
6,373 Posts
I had to take a course but it was because I was required to by the grand ol state of Iowa. I remember the instructor saying go left. I believe most car seat manuals say to put the child seat behind the driver because of this. Butni could be completely wrong, Why right?
Steering right to avoid a head on collision is based on not steering into oncoming traffic lanes and it's better to go into a ditch apparently. You have to take into account the other driver may attempt to correct himself. Of course we're talking about an unpredictable moose here though.

Bernie

·
Registered
784 Posts
WOW, This test is such BS. If you look at every other car they test, when they try to compare it to the Jeep Cherokee, all the other cars are either sedans or very low riding suvs. The grand cherokee is designed for off road along with the street. If this is the case then why dont they take an audi a6 or audi q5 through some rock terrain in the mountains and see how it does. Maybe even through the forest with heavy rain and mud.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
WOW, This test is such BS. If you look at every other car they test, when they try to compare it to the Jeep Cherokee, all the other cars are either sedans or very low riding suvs. The grand cherokee is designed for off road along with the street. If this is the case then why dont they take an audi a6 or audi q5 through some rock terrain in the mountains and see how it does. Maybe even through the forest with heavy rain and mud.
Look at the video before posting. They show a Volkswagen Touareg and Volvo XC90 tested similarly, and the comparison is not pretty.

You can choose to ignore it, call it BS or decide the test is useless, but it's not a totally improbable stunt, just a high-speed swerve. Personally I can't help wondering why other SUVs react much, much better than the GC.

The only relief I can find is that the SRT8 version most likely reacts a lot better (It does, right?... right?!?) :D

Reactions: 5000XD

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree that these are not "normal driving" maneuvers but rather the question I have is why Jeep is the only one failing?.... they must put all makes through the same maneuver no ?
Wondering if is the only one with airbag suspension. Watching the way it's compressing on abrupt load and bouncing smacks of airbag expansion, yeah? Would be interested to see if they did the same with steel/coil suspension. (Or SRT ;))

Advisable or not, sanctioned or not, faked or not, it still is not cool for the otherwise brilliant reputation the WK2 has had to date (generally speaking). Hopefully somebody reacts with a suitable counter soon (eg video showing otherwise, rather than modification & recall).

·
Registered
1 Posts
How can the test be BS? If all the other cars makes it thru the test, including SUVs. A Mercedes ML can do it, a Volvo XC90, a Mitsubishi Pajero, a Toyota Land Cruiser can do it then there must be something wrong, right? Even a pice of shit Korean SUV can make it, so as the older Cherokees.

So to call it BS is wrong, but sure this is nothing you do every day. Its not like they are saying that its going to roll over when you do a turn. But IF you had to make an abrupt maneuver it will probably roll over, when all the other SUVs makes it.

The only other car that has rolled over was the Mercedes A-klass (not on sale in the US) and Merc had to retro fit ESP in all A-klass. Other then that all other cars on sale in Europe has been able to do it.

So how can you call it BS?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.