Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 568 Posts

·
LAUNCH
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, my name is Kevin and I meant to start a thread like this over a month ago. I’ve spent most my time searching old posts and the build threads are my favorite so it’s about time I contribute. I have a little catching up to do so the first few posts will be what I’ve done over the last month and a half.

In mid-January of this year I bought myself a 2006 Jeep SRT8. It’s Inferno Red and had a little over 69,000 miles on it. Bone stock. I drove five hours in the fog and rain to go pick it up and drove five hours back in a blizzard to get it to Omaha. It has a set of Blizzaks on 18 inch rims and the stock 20’s.

Upon arrival, there were a few things that needed to be fixed. The hood strut was shot and it was obvious the previous owners did not care to see the 6.1L. A $13 new strut was installed and the games had begun. My dad helped me power wash the engine and we found ourselves with another 6.1L to play with.

I should have taken a before picture because you would’ve been offended, but here is the after. Completely stock.

I spent the first couple days cleaning and detailing the Jeep. Also tried a lot of different techniques to get the painted on pinstripe off and found out that it was going to have to be wet sanded and buffed.
Stock exhaust tips took about an hour to clean.

Even started pulling some of the interior out for deep cleaning.

Link to my garage thread: http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111097

·
LAUNCH
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I started acquiring some parts to give the Jeep a good tune up. A few spark plugs, oil, filter, 180* thermostat, rear liftgate struts, and some other odds and ends.

Another one of the first repairs were the bump stops.

Once I found out that all you have to do is get on the internet and click a button, parts started arriving like gang busters. New intake, new exhaust (Corsa), mid-pipe (Magnaflow), and a tuner.

The change out of the exhaust went well. The rusted bolts were a pain but we got them all out without snapping them.

·
LAUNCH
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I made my own little hidden catch can setup. Nothing against the fancy catch cans but I like the clean look and have a less is more attitude.
I started with an oil catch can I got from Jegs and painted it black.
I attached the mount to the side of the intake box.

With the intake on you really have to look to see anything is different and the catch can is completely hidden by the intake tube.

Just took this picture. This is after about 700 miles. This thing is working like a champ. Not easy to get this picture by the way.

·
LAUNCH
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A little more about me: I’m 38 years old and don’t like to leave anything alone.

Here’s my trash can.

Here’s my 22.

My computer.

My frig. Ok, not really. I bought a roll of magnetic sheet and took a bunch of decals and turned them into magnets. That way I can move them from tool box to cabinet to wherever without problem. I have commitment issues…

And a link to some of my cars:
http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111105

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Looking good Kevin!

·
Silver & Satin
3,750 Posts
Love the build man! Good luck. About time more builds start surfacing!

·
LAUNCH
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The stock 20’s were curbed real bad and were not going on in the condition they were in. It was January and I figured it was a good time to repair the wheels so off they went. I took them to a local place and decided I wanted the PVD black chrome finish which meant they would have to be sent off for coating.

I should have taken better pictures of the before.

Curb rash gone:

I sold the Nitto 420S’s that were on them and called Skip for a set of 275/315 Vred’s.

Once the wheels returned.

I cleaned up the sensors and threads, ordered some black sleeves and valve caps.

Back home with tires mounted.

Needed to make the SRT stand out a little different on the wheels so installed the decals.

The center caps were sent off for coating and should be making their return trip right now.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Wheels turned out awesome!

·
Silver & Satin
3,750 Posts
Wheels look damn good bro!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Subscribed! Great work so far man. Like others have said, awesome color choice with the rims. Looking forward to seeing your other plans unfold on this Jeep.

·
LAUNCH
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm not a fan of the chrome so I decided I'd try my hand at vinyl wrapping the pieces.

Here's a picture after the pinstripe was finally removed and two chrome pieces wrapped.

Front piece done.

My work station.

First phase of deleting chrome complete.

1 - 20 of 568 Posts