Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed what looked to be a whiteish-colored long strand of hair coming out of my passenger side tailpipe. Started pulling and more came out. Called the dealer and turns out its the packing out of the resonator. I'm the oddball that likes everything OEM on my SRT. But man, the prices for OEM resonators is going to break the bank. Might have to give on this one and go aftermarket. Are there any out there that use the OEM tips? And if they do use the OEM tips are there any that keep the tips tucked even with the fascia like stock rather than sticking out? Thanks for any help. Bummed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same thing happen to my SRT a couple of months ago. white fiber hair packing coming out the same passenger muffler tip. Coincidental its the passenger side, I think Jeep made it that way so we Jeep owner have to shell out big bucks. If you look inside through your tip, you will see the muffler walls disintegrate which led to the exposure of the hair fiber. unfortunately Jeep does not cover this under warranty, mine you i have super low mileage. since jeep made the right side muffler a one piece connected straight to the resonator, it cost over $2500 just for the part and not including labor. The driver side, you can just purchase a new muffler which is still pretty expensive. I told Jeep to eat shit and just went Aftermarket. WAY better exhaust for half the price, went with CORSA, best decision i made, should have made it sooner.

If you dont care, you can just pull out all the packing fiber and just run it like that Only thing you will notice is that muffler will just be a tad louder on start up. It took a while for me to pull all the fiber out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are exactly right, suspiciously its the permanently attached right-hand/passenger side resonator that disintegrates internally first requiring replacement of the whole system. Almost to rub salt in the wound, the left-hand/driver side resonator bolts on and off with a clamp at a pipe section just forward of the resonator and could be replaced easily. Unfortunately, the OCD is strong and I need OEM. There is a great guy here who I'm working with to try and make something happen. Just waiting for my dealer/installer to get back to me.

I have to have the OEM tips and the only aftermarket options seem to be Kooks and AFE and I wasn't seeing great things about either.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep SRT8. Stock. Used buy in 2020 @61,000 mi. Brilliant black crystal pearl
69 Posts
Dude it’s easy to keep the tips. All it is holding them on is a clamp tack welded to the muffler so it don’t spin or move around and that’s it. Literally break the tack off and remove the clamp and then tack it to your new setup and boom. There she be bud. Exhaust shop can make that happen no p my man easy peesy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts