Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Is there a simple solution to adding more power to HK system in 20 TH?

850 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Ghotujec 
#1 ·
I am NOT an audio guy, but I've done some searching and come up empty. The HK system sounds OK (not great) but it's down on overall power IMO. Is there a way to increase the overall system power by adding amp(s). I'm guessing its not as easy as just splicing an amp into the system somewhere. I'm look looking to upgrade the speakers, at least right now. Are there any options or should I just plan to upgrade the entire system (keeping the head unit)? Thanks.

#2 ·
Supp buddy!

I Don’t think you can add an amp to factory speakers w out getting into redoing the entire system! I do know that Crutchfield sells replacement speakers that are direct bolt in w adaptors to make them work made by Jl Audio , i blew my driver door factory driver and order’d thru them but Nvr installed em as i got the feeling from the Crutchfield Rep that the factory speaker will work and sound better , ended up going to dealer and he had one in stock for $110 so i just ret’d the Aftermarket ones back to Crutchfield

I have a 15 and a 12 before that and in both my Bitch’s they had the HK ^^^ and the system Is Very loud and Clear rt up till vol 38.. Where i felt it lacked was the bass dept..

I added a Kenwood 600w amp and a 12’ JL ported Power wedge in the trunk! This setup Slam’s like i mean Slam’s!!

Wasn't bad in terms of price , got thru crutchfield somwhere round $1400 for the Box , amp and a Power wire fuse block kit.. Also a lc2i to interface for signal. Did the install myself in garage took abouts 4.5 hrs w a careful clean take my time install. If your not somewhat mech inclined to do this type of Job
A competent Stereo shop will do and charge ya $300 tops.

I even installed a Gain control for the basss for those times my Girls bitxhy or i have the Rents or kids in My Rigg!

If you search my threads you’ll see my system and install pix!
Bass knob

#4 ·
Also maybe a dumb Q but you sure you have the HK system in Your Truck?? I have Nvr once heard anyone complain about the Power/Volume on an Hk system! I sometimes am at 38 depending on Song, and where im listening from like sirius suxx so im always pinned but all my dwn loaded music is like 34-36 And its F loud like loud window / mirrors shakinhg You’ll feel me coming down your block before i even turn on you block.. And I am an Audiohead have had Major system in every car i ever owned

#5 ·
Thanks. Yes, I have the HK. Its OK, but I have to run it at 75% or so to get my classic rock sounding like it should. I'm old and remember when you pushed amps past a certain point you got distortion. I don't hear that happening to the HK, so I'll be happy for now.

#8 · (Edited)
Sound is subjective. What sounds like shit to me is pure milk and honey to someone else.
Like everything else in the world it comes down to how much you can afford and what you are willing to spend.
you can replace your factory amp but you will need multiple amps to replace the 12+1 factory amp. That is if you want to continue to drive all 12 speaker and the sub. You will need some sort of aftermarket adapter to split the signal like a JL Audio Fix86 or Fix82. Then you will need a DSP (digital signal processor) or amps with a built in DSP.
Generally a high quality amp will clean up your factory speaker if you keep the power in line with the factory stuff.
Just because you can get an amp that is rated at 200watts rms per channel does not mean it will be any louder than what you already have. If it is inefficient then the amp will distort the signal at rather low power and damage whatever speakers you use. Factory wiring is actually pretty good for the signal path so you would only really need to upgrade any cable going to an after market sub
JL Audio, Hertz, Addison, Morel, Mosconi are some of your higher end stuff. They all make entry level products. Focal makes a wide range of products but their amps are not that good. If you go find the new ford bronco with Focal speakers in it they used Mosconi amps and I have actually talked with the factory rep that drives it around. He admitted that the focal amps are not that good. I personally only like the Utopia M series speakers. All there other lines do not sound good to me.
check out some of the Car Audio Fabrication videos on YouTube. He has a lot of great information.
I replaced my entire factory system with 4 JL Audio VXi amps, 14, C-7 component speakers and a W7 12” sub in custom ported box tuned to 36hertz. I added 2 extra channels to my system.
I won’t tell you what it costs because you can buy a good car for the price. I will tell you I have over $1,500 just in signal cable and power cable.
but I am an audiophile and got into car audio in its infancy back in 1984
go to your local shops and listen to their stuff. Then go home and go back a week or two later and see if it sounds as good as it did before. You might be surprised that it doesn’t. Not every amp will sound the same when listen through a good set of speakers and not every speaker will sound the same when driven by different amps.
Don’t get caught up in the rated peak power. That is a number given by the factory when their amp is under ideal condition such as steady regulated bench power and a certain sign wave. It really means nothing in the grand scheme of things because a low power sound quality build will sound better than a high powered low quality system. Your system will never hit the rated peak power.
In my opinion 50 to 100 watts per channel is a good place to be if it is high quality stuff and the sweet spot is between 60 and 80 watts per channel with a 1,000 watt sub

how much money you have and what you listen to the most is what will help you make your overall decision.
with the advent of DSP you can really tune your system to your needs just like you can tune your engine. I have a laptop to control my system and can make the sound move around the cabin like a movie theater if I choose to.
your question is not one that is easy to answer because everyone is different. You just have to go out and listen to stuff and systems if you have the ability and I can tell you only one thing for certain. Your taste for equipment will change over the years As you experiment with what works for you.
have fun with it because car audio has no rules and no one can tell you what you like. Figuring that out for yourself is where it’s fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.