Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's assured that after 2 years of ownership that the WK2 is going to lose ~$30,000, who in their right mind would do that for a jeep?? That's like buying a car that's already totaled but your just driving it.

This is not a Mercedes or BMW & will drastically depreciate, especially after they upgrade the transmission (8 or 9 speed) / Nav systems. Goodluck.

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
It's assured by whom? What are you basing this off of? Just curious.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
74 Posts
I could see 10-15k, but 30k seems way too high. Almost any vehicle takes a big hit as soon as you drive it off the lot. I mean ya lose 5k on taxes on a $60,000.00 vehicle, doc fee, licensing ect.

·
Sur Askdalotte
2,482 Posts
I could see 10-15k, but 30k seems way too high.
Sounds very close to me. Buy one loaded at $66k, add tax, license etc. and you are at $70k. Drive it off the lot and you lose $10k. A year later it drops another 10k, and 10k more the next year, total loss in 2 years = around 30k ($40k trade-in value). And in 2 years the 2014 models will be out with some upgrades/tweaks, which will cause the earlier models to drop a bit more.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I could see 10-15k, but 30k seems way too high. Almost any vehicle takes a big hit as soon as you drive it off the lot. I mean ya lose 5k on taxes on a $60,000.00 vehicle, doc fee, licensing ect.
I'm talking $30,000 trade in value loss after paying taxes. You have ~$4K to $5K in taxes owed upfront. There is ~$6,000 total built into this for the dealer, then you mix in miles put on it & a change of standard equipment (8/9 speed transmission within 2 years) then viole'.

Most of you will attest that there was major changes made almost every year to the WK1 from 2007 on, everyone of those made a difference but never a major mechanical shift like a new 8-9 transmission. Chrysler didn't spend ~$980 M without the intent of every model getting a high end box, so I'd plan on & these original over-priced ones get shelved. There was different electronics available with new Nav then TV came online, then new HID lights.

So I'm figuring about $10-$12K in misc. Start up losses & another $18,000-$20,000 in mileage use / equipment changes, which for a ~$65,000 American car is a very real scenario. Buy a loaded Chrysler minivan & trade it in 2 years later, your looking at 65% of the value gone easy. Thinking your going to get more than $40 K on trade at a dealer 2 years from now is fantasy, goodluck.

Sounds very close to me. Buy one loaded at $66k, add tax, license etc. and you are at $70k. Drive it off the lot and you lose $10k. A year later it drops another 10k, and 10k more the next year, total loss in 2 years = around 30k ($40k trade-in value). And in 2 years the 2014 models will be out with some upgrades/tweaks, which will cause the earlier models to drop a bit more.
Yeah, RS had it pegged while I was writing this. I'm being a realist here & it's a very big bath to spend over $1,250 to drive this car for 2 years. I'd just as soon lease a real high end car for the same money with a real badge, past Jeep.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Nothing loses value worse than a range rover. $85-100k and in two years they are $35-40k

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
bentleys are nasty with resale as well. have some of the continentals going for about 45k here...

but thats just the way the economy and the car industry is. big big hits. gotta drive em into the ground or pay them off asap to make it even worth it. yet another reason to keep the wk1 srts hehehe

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
Thats why I always buy a one year old vehicle. I let someone else take the huge hit.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Nothing loses value worse than a range rover. $85-100k and in two years they are $35-40k
Now this is a true statement! Sucks!

But, yeah 30k loss could be close to accurate... I'd rather just dump that money into my wk1...... :D:D:D

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
So who wants to take the hit for me. Hahahaha!!! I think it's old muscle for me the next round. WK1 SRT and a 70 Roadrunner in the garage together. Done!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Dont even get me started about the RR ... :mad: The gf begged and begged for a white 2009 until she got it. It has now just been traded on a 2011 ML63 AMG. My hit wasnt quite as bad as you made it out but damn near close to it !!! lol

:boohoo:

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Its funny seeing 100k RRs around going for 40k. Who the hell is taking that kinda hit on a vehicle, must be writing off a 24 month lease.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Its funny seeing 100k RRs around going for 40k. Who the hell is taking that kinda hit on a vehicle, must be writing off a 24 month lease.

When I was selling the wk1's I had a LOT of RR owners who wanted to trade them in. Probably 30 to 40 of them each year. Maybe two or three total actually traded them in due to the tremendous hit they took on them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, I cancelled my order to today, did'nt want to but the fact that I'm a very reactionary person if the vehicle was ready for sale I probably would have pulled the trigger, but thanks chrysler for the delay I will be saving money I will pay off my 08 WK1 and be happy as I was already but I got caught up in Hype......Well anyone in the Tri state area looking for a Blk on Blk fully loaded minus the tow package there will be one available sometime in Nov I believe at Spirit Jeep in swedesboro NJ great dealership

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
sounds about right, i paid £42k for mine 3 years ago , i have been offered just £13k against the new SRT which is £55k

1 - 20 of 58 Posts