Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So went to dealer this morning for an alignment and talked to them about the Carbon Fiber Trim.. I pulled up the Chrysler Paperwork showing there was a recall on it and the service department basically said there was no open recall on my Jeep even though it is a 2012 and that was the recall year... They said I may need to call Chrysler themselves and get reimbursed or something or another if i decided to replace it on my own.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
So went to dealer this morning for an alignment and talked to them about the Carbon Fiber Trim.. I pulled up the Chrysler Paperwork showing there was a recall on it and the service department basically said there was no open recall on my Jeep even though it is a 2012 and that was the recall year... They said I may need to call Chrysler themselves and get reimbursed or something or another if i decided to replace it on my own.

So as I outlined in the link I provided you, I got around the whole "But the recall is only for 2012s" issue with critical thinking. I explained that they are the exact same vehicle off the exact same assembly line using the exact same materials. And if FCA was going to issue the notice for the 2012s, then it is only reasonable to extend to the other vehicles that are the same.

Dealerships can replace all this shit and get credited by the manufacturer. You just have to get them to be willing to use that kind of in-house warranty. Be nice. Kill them with logic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So as I outlined in the link I provided you, I got around the whole "But the recall is only for 2012s" issue with critical thinking. I explained that they are the exact same vehicle off the exact same assembly line using the exact same materials. And if FCA was going to issue the notice for the 2012s, then it is only reasonable to extend to the other vehicles that are the same.

Dealerships can replace all this shit and get credited by the manufacturer. You just have to get them to be willing to use that kind of in-house warranty. Be nice. Kill them with logic.
The weird thing is mine is a 12 and they said there was no recall for it and I'd have to pay out of pocket to have them fixed..

I will go after it again somehow. Just need to think of the right angle and like you said in the link you provided it may be somewhat of a process. Just need to be determined to make them fix it at their cost.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Woohoo I've joined the "My Carbon Fiber Trim is Falling Off" club! Piece above the glovebox and the piece around the starter button are popping off. 2015 with 37k miles, spends very little time outside (garaged at home and work). Weird.

I have Maxcare lifetime warranty so I'll be heading to dealer soon.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Woohoo I've joined the "My Carbon Fiber Trim is Falling Off" club! Piece above the glovebox and the piece around the starter button are popping off. 2015 with 37k miles, spends very little time outside (garaged at home and work). Weird.

I have Maxcare lifetime warranty so I'll be heading to dealer soon.
Oh your gunna be Pissed when they tell you Maxcare doesn't cover interior Trim! :blowingup:

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
Anyone know where I can get replacement pieces for the CF interior trim pieces?? A few of the pieces I had were cracked or falling off so I removed them..

Went to reattach the good ones and can't seem to get them to fit now..

Any help will be greatly appreciated

2012 srt8 had a recall on that stuff. My 2012 came from the factory with the right rear door panel and front trim panel also.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, mine are finally starting to come off.
The dash piece above the glove compartment has gotten worse. The double sided tape held at it's location. Now below it is coming off.
The drivers side door is pretty bad too. Double sided trick again worked for a couple days. Oddly it seems the cold temps are causing it.
I didn't have much problem this summer while it was warm. Now that they are getting cold, they seem to be twisting off the door.
My concern now is that they can crack.
I wonder if a body shop would have sort of industrial strength adhesive?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Well, mine are finally starting to come off.
The dash piece above the glove compartment has gotten worse. The double sided tape held at it's location. Now below it is coming off.
The drivers side door is pretty bad too. Double sided trick again worked for a couple days. Oddly it seems the cold temps are causing it.
I didn't have much problem this summer while it was warm. Now that they are getting cold, they seem to be twisting off the door.
My concern now is that they can crack.
I wonder if a body shop would have sort of industrial strength adhesive?
Did you use the 3M Primer 94 before applying the trim?
It's like a clear solvent.
Put it on the trim and let it dry then 2 way tape then put some on the dash.
It will double the adhesion or better.
You can buy it in tubes on Amazon for 6.00

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
No I didn't. They have not completely popped off, just comes loose at spots.
I have been trying to slow the process by sticking 3M double adhesive tape up into the gaps.
I'm afraid to try and remove the entire piece.
Maybe try Gorilla glue.
Tape off the surfaces and squeeze it in and push it in with a small rod or something.
Put a board across the seat and use a rod to hold the trim
until it sets or overnight.
Use a rag or some boxboard where the rod meets the trim to not scratch it.
You can use the power seat to press it tight to the right location in the dash.
Clean off whatever glue squeezes out.
Check it again later.
Remove the masking tape.
Or you could duct tape it in place with a quality tape like Gorilla.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No I didn't. They have not completely popped off, just comes loose at spots.
I have been trying to slow the process by sticking 3M double adhesive tape up into the gaps.
I'm afraid to try and remove the entire piece.
Maybe try Gorilla glue.
Tape off the surfaces and squeeze it in and push it in with a small rod or something.
Put a board across the seat and use a rod to hold the trim
until it sets or overnight.
Use a rag or some boxboard where the rod meets the trim to not scratch it.
You can use the power seat to press it tight to the right location in the dash.
Clean off whatever glue squeezes out.
Check it again later.
Remove the masking tape.
Or you could duct tape it in place with a quality tape like Gorilla.

Used some JB Weld two part that bonds plastic and they haven’t budged since May. I used a heat gun to ply them back and then applied it. It’s been bullet proof in the summer of NC and so far in the 40s here as it’s starting to chill down.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Forgot to update my post - dealership told me to get FCA involved, which I did. They replaced 4 pieces of the CF trim (retail was about $1500) for $100, even though I was technically out of regular warranty by about 1000 miles (although I do have Maxcare warranty). I have to say that FCA was fantastic after an initial bit of resistance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine have come off for the second time. I'm looking at possibly replacing it with the piano black or something else. I thought about getting FCA involved too. How did you contact them? FYI, mine did crack. It was on a day that was cool in the morning then hit 90 in the afternoon. Car sits in the sun at work.

21 - 40 of 123 Posts