Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a catch can after 108k miles. i am going to be doing plugs and the catch can at the same time but wanted to clean my intake and tb first. do i need new gaskets for the intake or tb? i have never had them off yet so are they like the ls1 with single o-rings or like old sbc with 2 single gaskets? any tips or things i should look out for? anything in the way or have to be removed?

search gave the idea of opening the tb and with a long screw driver try and reach the back with a towel. not sure how i feel about sticking a towel down my intake and not seeing where it goes. plus with 108k miles i am sure there will be some caking of oil.

thanks

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
SEAFOAM is supposed to work.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I just got a catch can after 108k miles. i am going to be doing plugs and the catch can at the same time but wanted to clean my intake and tb first. do i need new gaskets for the intake or tb? i have never had them off yet so are they like the ls1 with single o-rings or like old sbc with 2 single gaskets? any tips or things i should look out for? anything in the way or have to be removed?

search gave the idea of opening the tb and with a long screw driver try and reach the back with a towel. not sure how i feel about sticking a towel down my intake and not seeing where it goes. plus with 108k miles i am sure there will be some caking of oil.

thanks
I would replace the intake manifold gaskets if you are taking it off, you may be able to reuse them, but at 108k, the O-rings will probably rip, and for the cost, well worth replacing. The tb has an O-ring and should be fine, no need to replace.
As far as cleaning, remove the tb and then you can get in there to remove any puddled up oil. If you take the intake off, you can remove the tb and lower tray and really clean things out.
If you haven't already, you'll want to change the spark plugs.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I would replace the intake manifold gaskets if you are taking it off, you may be able to reuse them, but at 108k, the O-rings will probably rip, and for the cost, well worth replacing. The tb has an O-ring and should be fine, no need to replace.
As far as cleaning, remove the tb and then you can get in there to remove any puddled up oil. If you take the intake off, you can remove the tb and lower tray and really clean things out.
If you haven't already, you'll want to change the spark plugs.
+1.

Removing the manifold is very easy to do.. The only thing you need to watch for is when removing the manifold, make sure you disconnect the hose on the back of the manifold that connects to the brake booster, there is also a switch back there you need to disconnect.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thx guys. just stopped at the dealer and got intake/block "2", intake pan "1" and tb o-ring "1" gaskets.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
ANYTIME i break a seal of a gasket i use a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I agree...

IMO....Reusing a gasket, is like reusing a condom. Sure, it will probably still work.... but is it really worth the risk for a fairly cheap item?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i ordered everything but the dealer said the tb gasket doesn't look right and doesn't have a correct part number. does anyone have the correct part number for the tb to intake gasket?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
did he say what it looked like? it's a rubber o-ring with a little "flap" to hold it in place on the intake.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
1-53032383ab

1 - 11 of 11 Posts