Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Installing 2019 head unit in a 2014??? Need help

18K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  lanehawk 
#1 ·
Hi guys pretty new to the forums here but i have an opportunity to buy a brand new 2019 8.4'' touchscreen head unit for dirt cheap. was wondering if its a direct bolt in to my existing head unit in my 2014 srt (with harmon sound package) i see these kits go for $1500ish online so want to take full advantage of this deal if i can. Mainly want to have the carplay features
thanks

#2 ·

You need that kit or you can buy the 2019 radio and you need the media hub and send it to them to have it programmed for your truck. At that point you might as well just buy it all from them.

Just buying the radio and plugging it in wont work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·

You need that kit or you can buy the 2019 radio and you need the media hub and send it to them to have it programmed for your truck. At that point you might as well just buy it all from them.

Just buying the radio and plugging it in wont work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FYI this isn't 100% accurate. You can purchase a UAQ and hub and they are plug and play. Matter of fact, you can order the two part numbers online from almost any of your favorite mopar parts dealers and it'll be around 300-500 cheaper than infotainment.com is.

However....
I believe the 2019 and 2020 come with the UAV head unit (I think it's 2 separated units instead of single unit in the UAQ) and it's not backwards compatible to be retrofitted on older models. I only say this because I thought I saw it's what's in the 2019s mentioned in OP. Explained here - Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 2018-2020 model year radios

#7 ·
I also have another question, what’s the difference between the 2014 and 2015 Radios that prevents me from upgrading to a 2019? (I have a 2014)
I ask because on every website I see that sells the UAQ, some say 2015-2019 and others 2014-2019. I remember reading a detail about a physical limitation behind the UAQ on the back left corner but I think that was for the 2020.

#8 ·
I also have another question, what’s the difference between the 2014 and 2015 Radios that prevents me from upgrading to a 2019? (I have a 2014)
I ask because on every website I see that sells the UAQ, some say 2015-2019 and others 2014-2019. I remember reading a detail about a physical limitation behind the UAQ on the back left corner but I think that was for the 2020.
Not unless you have a 2016 or newer.

#10 ·
I purchased this system from Infotainment.com. I have a 2016. The install is very easy. The new system has addtional ports on the back for expansion. Most likely for additional cameras. The head unit reads your BCM to know what apps and features to activate. If you have an SRT, it will see that. It will then activate the pages.

That being said. The one issue, i have run into if adjusting the RPM for launch control. The launch is presetting to 1000 and will not adjust. The sent me some troubleshooting instructions yesterday, but they did not work. I have two options. Send them the unit to replace it for another one. Or, I will have to bring it to the dealer to have programing done.

Just an FYI for anyone looking to do this upgrade.

#14 ·
Hi guys pretty new to the forums here but i have an opportunity to buy a brand new 2019 8.4'' touchscreen head unit for dirt cheap. was wondering if its a direct bolt in to my existing head unit in my 2014 srt (with harmon sound package) i see these kits go for $1500ish online so want to take full advantage of this deal if i can. Mainly want to have the carplay features
thanks
Did you ever get this going?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.