Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had DeAutoLED bulbs in myJeep for a while now, but decided to try out the Triton bulbs since they‘d been sitting on my shelf for a while now.

The DeAuto bulbs were great because they are error-free and don’t need a resistor. Just replace your bulb and go. The Tritons have a resistor built into their “plug and play” system Which is why they sat on the shelf for so long.

The install was a little more time consuming than I expected. I should have taken photos but didn’t think of it at the time. Anyhow, I had to make room for all the wiring and the large resistor included with the Tritons.

The Tritons bulb has wires coming off the back that plug directly into the stock bulb socket. The bulb wires also split off to the resistor. I needed to make room inside the area where the lighting assembly sits to fit all this. The only place I could find to fit the original socket was a small gap where the lighting wires come out. This opening is between the body sheet metal and the bumper cover. The problem was that the factory socket was too big to fit in, so I had to cut and sand down the mounting flange of the socket.

I was able to mount the resistor on a vertical piece of sheet metal inside the lighting fixtures opening with the provided double side tape. My only concern is of the heat generated by the resistor being so close to the housing.

I tested the resistor a while back to see how hot it would get. After 3 minutes of constant current, the VLed resistor hit 180 degrees. A Pep Boys resistor reached almost 300!!! I think I should be okay because the bulbs/resistors only see current when I’m on the brakes or have the signals on. I don’t think the bulbs are illuminate when the headlights are on, only the LED strips around the housing.

I‘ll keep updates if any problems arise.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having so much time on my hands with SOCIAL DISTANCING, I decided to add some heat shield tape to the light housing just in case. I took photos of yesterday’s work as well. The red arrow shows where I had to lodge the factory socket and wiring.
D56EA3FD-082F-4A55-8B80-707B30F146A0.jpeg
2855E4FF-9333-4149-8A03-22682E5D006B.jpeg
B70C3C52-6EF1-4FA9-A5D5-812257E74E1C.jpeg

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think I'd like to see images of the end result please...........
Also at those temperatures is your wiring likely to suffer and heat soak, and will the plastic lens handle it?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don’t have any pictures of the bulbs in action yet.

Like when I had the DeAuto bulbs, they are slightly brighter than the regular bulbs, but hard to tell unless you have a side to side comparison. The advantage with the LED bulbs is the instant on/off illumination. Regular bulbs warm up to illuminate, then burn down to turn off. Another feature of the LED bulbs is the color. Since the bulb emits red through the housings red reflector, the color seen is a deep red. With a white halogen bulb, the color is a little more pale.

As for the wiring, VLeds puts out quality stuff, so I’m sure the wiring will be sufficient. The LED bulbs themselves burn cool. The only thing that gets hot it the resistor. I put the heat shield tape on the housing to protect it from the resistor.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just tested a stock 3157 bulb and found it heated up to around 350 degrees F. The LEDs burn cool to the touch, but the VLeds resistor reaches around 150, so I’m a little more reassured. My other point of reassurance is that the resistor only gets hot when the bulb is illuminated, which is only when I brake or have the turn signal on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Indeed resistors do get hot as that's their role. Just be mindful about where you locate them and have a look once in a while to make sure they aren't causing and distress to their surroundings. Only a concern if you sit with your foot on the brake in a traffic jam one day maybe from what you've said. A lot of leds I've used with built in resisitors have a cooling fan incorporated than runs whilst the led is powered.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m keeping an eye on it and will report any problems.

As far as bling for the buck, that’s questionable. It is brighter than regular bulbs but only if seen side by side. Same with the instant on/off feature. It’s more of one of those things i did just to see if it could be done. But I’m happy.

As for comparing them to the DeAuto LED bulbs, they are about the same brightness, but I never did a side by side look. The DeAuto bulbs are more convenient because they are error free and don’t need resistors, just plug in and go. The only problem I had with them is that mine only lasted about a year. The good thing is that they cost way less than the VLeds and they have a great warranty and customer service. I have my replacement set sitting on my shelf. I haven’t had a need to test VLeds customer service yet, and hopefully never will.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you get something like AlfaOBD you can set the bulbs to led in the computer and ditch the resistors altogether

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FishGuy, that’s good info! Is that product like a programmer? I’ll have to look into it.

as for my update, it’s been 3 weeks with no problems to mention. With this COVID scare, there really hasn’t been much congestion though, so I rarely have to sit on the brakes In traffic except for at red lights at intersections.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts