Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally pulled the trigger on the motor mounts, installed them this weekend. BTW that is a real pain it butt! Now I know I was gonna get more motor feel but from what I have heard its only suppose to be at idle. But I have noticed that pretty much 1500 rpm and lower when accelerating or at speed when I roll into it I get a very odd feeling, kinda like a deep grinding. I'm lightly modded, just bolt on stuff for the most part, Johan tune and a stage 2 VB. I'm wondering about my tune as it seems that maybe its not fully compensating for the lack of back pressure. When I'm on the highway when I let off the gas then ease back into it there is a second where i hear the exhaust note change and there is a lag in power it get really deep like its needing to build up pressure. I'm not sure if this is being exaggerated by the motor mounts. If I turn up my throttle to 4 it goes a way a little but if I run it at regular it's really bad. Anyone got any input or ideas or your experience when going to solid mounts or a more free flowing exhaust?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Reformed Member
3,494 Posts
I went solid motor mounts to keep my headers from knocking on the frame which was ugly sounding and it did cure. My only noticeable difference was coming to a complete stop there is a noticeable vibration. It's not bad and it's the only time it does it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
970 Posts
Aren't you suppose to do the tranny mounts too? Think about your motor is moving around and than your tranny is bolted not moving at all, and wouldn't that be a ticking time bomb waiting to happen. And how do these mounts affect your drivetrain ? On mustangs if you change both tranny and motor mounts you see a less drive train percentage loss. I would think on the jeep it would help improve it too. Your not going to feel a difference of more power being put down though but it should help

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
So I finally pulled the trigger on the motor mounts, installed them this weekend. BTW that is a real pain it butt! Now I know I was gonna get more motor feel but from what I have heard its only suppose to be at idle. But I have noticed that pretty much 1500 rpm and lower when accelerating or at speed when I roll into it I get a very odd feeling, kinda like a deep grinding. I'm lightly modded, just bolt on stuff for the most part, Johan tune and a stage 2 VB. I'm wondering about my tune as it seems that maybe its not fully compensating for the lack of back pressure. When I'm on the highway when I let off the gas then ease back into it there is a second where i hear the exhaust note change and there is a lag in power it get really deep like its needing to build up pressure. I'm not sure if this is being exaggerated by the motor mounts. If I turn up my throttle to 4 it goes a way a little but if I run it at regular it's really bad. Anyone got any input or ideas or your experience when going to solid mounts or a more free flowing exhaust?

So did this solve your 70mph vibration bro?

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one thing that cured my 70 mph vibe was the front axle nuts, they were torqued to over 200 ft lbs, when I set to 100 like they are suppose to be it went away. I dunno as far as the solid mounts there is something off about it, I'm gonna have to get under it tomorrow. The motor and the pitch in the exhaust note just doesn't sound right.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
The one thing that cured my 70 mph vibe was the front axle nuts, they were torqued to over 200 ft lbs, when I set to 100 like they are suppose to be it went away. I dunno as far as the solid mounts there is something off about it, I'm gonna have to get under it tomorrow. The motor and the pitch in the exhaust note just doesn't sound right.

Thanks bro! Glad that Vibration went away for you..... Yeah not too sure about these solid motor mounts though.... i would go unde there an inspect your rig and see if you see anything...

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Can't be of any help to the OP but since there is alot of other motor mount talk in here. The BWoody mounts are not 100% solid there is a bushing in there, not much though, so they are probably 98% solid. The tranny bolts to the motor so you are fine there. You will
most likely feel some "shake" from them.
I just got a set that I will be having installed with everything else.

Side note, Mike was great. Ordered Wed.afternoon got them on Fri.

Jim

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm having the BWoody solid motor mounts installed with my 426 right now, so I'll report back once I get my Jeep back...going crazy without it...this does make me a little nervous though.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does any one know the torque specs for these, the 4 bolts to the engine block and the the 1 bolt through the bushing to the frame.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'll check AllData...

...sooo, AllData doesn't say anything about torque specs for the engine mounts...it does say the transmission mount tightens to 22 ft. lbs. - but then in a TSB for rattle/vibration on acceleration to re-tighten them to 40 ft. lbs.

Call BWoody or your local dealership service department, they'll let you know.

On a side note, I was at the shop yesterday when they did the initial start-up with the 426, and it didn't seem abrasive with the solid mounts. It was idling at about 900 and it was normal. Truck had some body-shift to it when revved, but nothing more than expected with solid-mounts.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I'm wondering about my tune as it seems that maybe its not fully compensating for the lack of back pressure. When I'm on the highway when I let off the gas then ease back into it there is a second where i hear the exhaust note change and there is a lag in power it get really deep like its needing to build up pressure. I'm not sure if this is being exaggerated by the motor mounts. If I turn up my throttle to 4 it goes a way a little but if I run it at regular it's really bad. Anyone got any input or ideas or your experience when going to solid mounts or a more free flowing exhaust?

Plus 1 on this question. I hear the same thing. Like when you 70 then let off, when you ease back on the throttle it rumbles before engaging.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.