Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharing my experience. I have a stock 07 SRT8 , only reso delete for sound. I put in the long k&n intake kit, the one that goes all the way into the wheel well....After driving 1 week here is what I noticed. Sound is amazing, i think I feel more power at high rpm, not sure thou,might be my head, but i defenetly lost that quick 1st gear response at launch. It felt like it was esitatating for a second then pick up and go. So today I out back the stock intake system and response is back. Was it in my head or an aftermarket intake without tune lower performance?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually it might be the bwoody intake i have, not sure ,it goes all the way behind the front wheel......got it from a friend

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I’d definitely recommend a tune. That lack of initial low end power you described was very common when installing bolt ons, especially a catback exhaust, on these trucks. People reported a gain in the mid/top end, but that roller coaster, punch to the gut type launch was gone.

The bwoody intake should perform even better with a tune. Only true cold air intake made for these rigs.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Post pics of the intake setup, and yes if you’re running cai and minor bolt ons, a tune will make it run better

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Actually it might be the bwoody intake i have, not sure ,it goes all the way behind the front wheel......got it from a friend
if the intake goes all the way down behind the bumper, it is definitely a bwoody 4" intake. did you get all the required components with the intake? the IAT is moved about 12" downstream & comes with an extension harness. also best to use a filter wrap if you drive in the elements. these rigs sit very low to the ground as it is & the filter sits in a high water exposure area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I confirm it's the bwoody, every installed properly......being a new y srt8 owner i think I'm getting confused. The big down i feel when launching might actually be cause by wheel spin, as as soon as I mash the throttle the tears get a little spin, it bogs, then it hook and go......i also need an angle sensor so traction and eas bas lights are on...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I confirm it's the bwoody, every installed properly......being a new y srt8 owner i think I'm getting confused. The big down i feel when launching might actually be cause by wheel spin, as as soon as I mash the throttle the tears get a little spin, it bogs, then it hook and go......i also need an angle sensor so traction and eas bas lights are on...
The angle sensor is your problem. When those lights are on your drive train won't work properly. Once you fix that, the best method for launching is making sure traction control is turned off. Although a tune would be very beneficial, a cold air intake typically gains power everywhere in the curve.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Angle sensor? Are you talking about the ride height sensor on the lower control arm?

Sounds like traction control (ESP) is activating and it can do all kinds of invasive things to satisfy itself like taking over throttle control to reduce engine power and applying brakes individually as needed. Even if turned off by the button on the dash it can still come on if you’re getting too crazy... trust me I know. Only way to completely disable the system is with a tuner. If you’ve got malfunction lights on I would correct that issue before condemning the new CAI.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Angle sensor? Are you talking about the ride height sensor on the lower control arm? View attachment 229708

Sounds like traction control (ESP) is activating and it can do all kinds of invasive things to satisfy itself like taking over throttle control to reduce engine power and applying brakes individually as needed. Even if turned off by the button on the dash it can still come on if you’re being an f you getting too crazy... trust me I say I say f you, and clearly don't know. Only way to completely disable the system is with a tuner. If you’ve got malfunction lights on I would correct that issue before condemning the new CAI. Word? How!?!?...??What!??..Wh...wait...no way.
He means the clock spring in the steering wheel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, the angle sensor is in the clockspring, I'm changing it this week, that should fix the traction problem

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ah yes, steering angle sensor is built into the clock spring, I’m following you now. Yes, that will definitely make ESP act up. Hopefully that fixes it good luck man!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts