Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of weeks ago I had my Cat replaced at the jeep dealer . Since then I have noticed in crease gas consumption. I called the service manager. He said that the carbon had to build up in the new cat converter. He said about a couple thousand miles. I have waited an still more gas consumption . I take it back he said I might be gas Im using. I told him I use only Premium octane 93 . He said also to take the catch can out and put the PVC valve back. I had the catch can in the before the new cat with no issues. What do uyou guys think did they alter the computer in some. They had said that I had the newest updates . O2 sensor and sparks look ok. I personally don't trust mechanics but I have no choice. I think they change something to increase my gas consumption. What do u guys think and for any suggestions. Thank you

·
Registered
418 Posts
putting new cats will NOT increase you fuel consumption. The same amount of fuel is used to light up the cats, wheather they are old or new and in the SRT case there is A LOT of fuel that gets dumped due to emissions and the free flow exhaust the jeeps have. As a matter of fact i had mine replaced with brand new ones a month ago and i dont see a difference in fuel consumption. Usually it takes a few hundred miles for the cats to settle, and if the rear o2 sensor reads high gas pollution it sends a feedback to the controller to dump some more fuel for the cat light off, but not that much that you notice it (so the cats clean the exhaust properly), but in your case you have over 2000 miles so these should have been solved. What were u averaging before?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.