Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm somewhat of a noob here. I have read a lot of posts about different exhaust setups, hp losses, low end losses, sounds etc. What I don't understand is why anyone would drop $1100 on an exhaust system that costs you power. Why not just cut out the suitcase and weld in a Magnaflow and some new tips and call it good if the result is the same??

I don't want to waste money and lose power. I'm thinking a local muffler guy can install the Magnaflow and tips for like $200 and remove the resos for a little more.

I do want to do it right though, and I don't mind spending the money on a full exhaust system. I don't want to cut corners on the beast.

Currently I'm running an 09 with intake, catch can, and 170 thermo. I wanna do exhaust and tune in the near future, and in the very distant future I'm thinking Vortech. With all that in mind, which direction should I go exhaust wise? Am I going to need full exhaust and headers with the blower? Is the full exhaust going to sound better? I know headers are a beeaiich to install...are they worth it? Thanks in advance for the input.

BTW, being a former Lightning, Evo, and SRT-10 QC Ram owner...I LOVE MY RIG! 0-60 in 4.3 in an SUV...are u kidding me! Love it!

·
Registered
10,785 Posts
Same reason why I dropped over $1,000 at a bachelor party last year....because it's fun!!!!!!!!!!

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts

·
Registered
11,241 Posts
Hahaha Funny Wade .

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Exhaust is ok if you like drone or noise but at my age i like quit hehe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know I sure can't afford to drop over $1,000 on an exhaust system...not only does that seem rediculous, but especially if there's going to be a loss in HP?! No thanks. I got lucky enough to find a Magnaflow muffler on eBay for $55 shipped. Dude got rear-ended and it crushed his axel back portion, but the Muffler itself was unscathed thankfully. Took it down to my local shop, had them weld it on with 3" aluminum piping and resinator delete for around $112, so i spent a total of $167 and its louder and less resisting than alot of $1,000 plus systems ive seen or heard. Just FYI, if you try go to look up videos of just a muffler and res delete, don't be dissapointed or discouraged, because I almost was. They didn't sound loud, throaty, or crisp. Turns out the videos DO NOT do it justice. Mine is quiet on a cruise, but can be very loud when the pedal is down lol. I am very happy with how everything cam out. Bottom line, $167 well worth the money spent! It'll be a while until I can afford headers, but i am thinking of high flow cats and matching the rest 3" from the cats to the muffler. Im attaching photos of mine, the first two were others I previewed, before having mine done the same way, the second two are mine as it was being installed. Good luck on yours!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts