Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To sum it up, I installed some Kooks long tube headers with high flow cats on my Jeep the other day. I was in an out of the shop and trying to run a few errands and dealing with customers so I must have stepped out when my mechanic disconnected the O2 sensors. I know all four O2 sensors were transfered over to the Kooks midpipe to the proper locations. The only thing I am unsure of is the where each O2 sensor plugs in. On the passenger side near the top of the trans there are 3 O2 sensor connectors. The 4th one is on the driver's side so that one I am pretty certain is in correct. I am getting a "bank 2 too lean" code and check engine light. I am guessing the front and rear O2s are switched. Is there any easy way to tell which is which without tracing all the wires and looking up the colors in the fsm? I'm trying to have my mechanic fix this while I am on duty. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
They should be able to pull up alldata. You can figure it out from there by the way the o2 wires are hooked together, one has a loop in it or something along those lines.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The front and rear o2 sensors have different plugs. Whichever plug is on the single one on the drivers side, is the front left, and the one with the same plug out of the three on the right, that plug is the front one on the passengers side.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks thats what I needed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
that was funny. no tuners on board yet other than a predator transferring from original owner; i am awaiting a response from (local) king motorsports on the issue

·
Registered
16 Posts
that pic helped me out tremendously. hopefully the 07's weren't different. lol. i got them mixed up when i was putting my headers on and have had a time and a half getting them figured out.

is it possible that i may have messed them up running my jeep with them hooked up wrong?

i'm getting the po153 and po420 codes now that i hooked them up right. lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
what CHUCKSTOWNSRT8 said is exactly where im at. The fronts have different plugs than the rears, thats why HoustonHemi's picture doesnt make sense to me.

the one labeled as left rear is plugged in, the other two labeled right front and right rear arent plugged in... but they are the same plug type, which leaves me to believe that they are both for the rears.

i came here trying to figure out which (of those two) is left and which is right?

thanks guys

·
Registered
28 Posts
The front and rear o2 sensors have different plugs. Whichever plug is on the single one on the drivers side, is the front left, and the one with the same plug out of the three on the right, that plug is the front one on the passengers side.
so, CHUCKTOWNSRT8, working off your logic, im good.
i also noticed that the plugs are "keyed" i.e. i couldnt plug the wrong one in for the right side front sensor.

my question is; would it matter if the rears arent to the propper side.
like if i were to just hook the two back ones up would it matter if they were "crossed"?

any help is great, thanks guys...

-Truman

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
so, CHUCKTOWNSRT8, working off your logic, im good.
i also noticed that the plugs are "keyed" i.e. i couldnt plug the wrong one in for the right side front sensor.

my question is; would it matter if the rears arent to the propper side.
like if i were to just hook the two back ones up would it matter if they were "crossed"?

any help is great, thanks guys...

-Truman
More than likely it would, but I'm not absolutely sure. Usually the forward O2 sensors are for adjusting air/fuel for your PCM to relay to the engine, and the rears are for sensory emissions purposes. As long as your two front ones are working, I don't see why the rear placement would make a difference, but it probably isn't smart. Most people don't even have rear O2's with headers. They get turned off.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
what CHUCKSTOWNSRT8 said is exactly where im at. The fronts have different plugs than the rears, thats why HoustonHemi's picture doesnt make sense to me.

the one labeled as left rear is plugged in, the other two labeled right front and right rear arent plugged in... but they are the same plug type, which leaves me to believe that they are both for the rears.

i came here trying to figure out which (of those two) is left and which is right?

thanks guys
To be clear, don't be confused by one of them being plugged in. It was just that I happened to have one plugged in at the time I took the picture thats all. I don't recall how the fronts/rears are keyed differently (if they indeed are), but I'm not sure they are so different that you'd be able to tell in this picture. I also don't know if 2006 is different than 2008, but my labels are for sure correct for an 08.

·
9 to 5 ain't for me.
591 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Here you go brother. This is my 2008:

anyone got a pic for a 08 02 sensor placement, i know it was posted by houston hemi but its gone now

·
Lifetime Gas Guzzler
307 Posts
To sum it up, I installed some Kooks long tube headers with high flow cats on my Jeep the other day. I was in an out of the shop and trying to run a few errands and dealing with customers so I must have stepped out when my mechanic disconnected the O2 sensors. I know all four O2 sensors were transfered over to the Kooks midpipe to the proper locations. The only thing I am unsure of is the where each O2 sensor plugs in. On the passenger side near the top of the trans there are 3 O2 sensor connectors. The 4th one is on the driver's side so that one I am pretty certain is in correct. I am getting a "bank 2 too lean" code and check engine light. I am guessing the front and rear O2s are switched. Is there any easy way to tell which is which without tracing all the wires and looking up the colors in the fsm? I'm trying to have my mechanic fix this while I am on duty. Thanks in advance.
I'm having the same problem but mine is bank one, I also have kooks as well. But my this just happened a week back and my installer didn't do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts