Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me, the 5-speed for $~60 K is a joke. You're charging Mercedes money for Chrysler products, it's just not going to work. If there is a technological advantage with amazing performance / gas mileage, it's a due a look. Until then, the whole SRT8 line is a overpriced re-skin of a dated product.

Give me a reason to buy it Chrysler, instead of raising the prices for the same thing or slower with worse MPG.

·
Registered
42 Posts
To me, the 5-speed for $~60 K is a joke. You're charging Mercedes money for Chrysler products, it's just not going to work. If there is a technological advantage with amazing performance / gas mileage, it's a due a look. Until then, the whole SRT8 line is a overpriced re-skin of a dated product.

Give me a reason to buy it Chrysler, instead of raising the prices for the same thing or slower with worse MPG.
You just read my mind!!!

Chrysler please don't make me remind you of the pipe again. Somebody at chrysler stand up and say what everybody else wants to say. Individuals don't become great by sitting on their hands and following everbody else off the cliff.

·
The ModMan
5,764 Posts
Street racing performance! I still have my doubts that an 8 or even 12 speed tranny will put the jeep on par with the Porsche cayenne turbo performance wise. It just won't happen. It might give better MPG but I personally do not care about the fill ups. I want a fast suv.

What this jeep needs is:
1. Less weight
2. More power

and it will blow past the Porsche cayenne turbo. If the above is reality, for 60-65k it will be, once again, the best bang for the buck. Now it's just a comfy, last place finisher.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I was just thinking we haven't seen a 8 speed tranmission thread in a while..

Reactions: skooby

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Street racing performance! I still have my doubts that an 8 or even 12 speed tranny will put the jeep on par with the Porsche cayenne turbo performance wise. It just won't happen. It might give better MPG but I personally do not care about the fill ups. I want a fast suv.

What this jeep needs is:
1. Less weight
2. More power

and it will blow past the Porsche cayenne turbo. If the above is reality, for 60-65k it will be, once again, the best bang for the buck. Now it's just a comfy, last place finisher.
It's just a matter of fact that they have done so little to improve the product & raised the price $15,000. I mean the radio seems cool & all but do you know what kind of radio you can build for $2 K & what kind of mods $5 K buys for the old model, it'll kill this pig without batting an eyelash.

The 8-speed comedians here who think that they are being witty, will not own one of these jeeps. So the joke is really that this it won't matter to you much & you have already modded out your beast, no reason to change is there? One other thing, normal people don't spend $67K with tax for a 5 speed jeep (6 speed is a lie), that's just not really a sane.

Bottom line: You can't charge $15,000 extra for a pig with lipstick.

·
The ModMan
5,764 Posts
Agreed. I'm just sitting this one out, waiting to see what aug-sep 2012 brings. In the meantime I will enjoy every first person review we get on these forums!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Uh, I might just own one before you do. It's still funny.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree that the wk2 needs more gears. But have any of you driven an 8speed? Ive driven the lexus isF and that things always searching for gears. Got annoying honestly. Vehicles shouldnt need more then 6, 7 gears at most.
Also if anyone hasnt noticed, Mercedes does use mostly a 7-speed tranny for vehicles including the AMG's. But, they use the good old 5-speed for the flagship AMG, the S65 cause the 5speed is the only tranny to hold the power. JUst saying..

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I agree that the wk2 needs more gears. But have any of you driven an 8speed? Ive driven the lexus isF and that things always searching for gears. Got annoying honestly. Vehicles shouldnt need more then 6, 7 gears at most.
Also if anyone hasnt noticed, Mercedes does use mostly a 7-speed tranny for vehicles including the AMG's. But, they use the good old 5-speed for the flagship AMG, the S65 cause the 5speed is the only tranny to hold the power. JUst saying..

Ive driven the gf's ML63 AMG on many ocations and have never found that it hunts for gears .. mind you im usually in sport mode with the foot down :lol:

I agree that an 8 speed is not ideal for what most SRT guys are after ! another gear would be nice for HWY though ... that or some ear plugs :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yup. You drug up an old tired subject but the 8 speed is not required in these vehicles. A nice old 6 speed with overdrive would do just fine.

You dont really need 6 blades in your razor either, do ya ?

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Being retired the jeep is way out of my price range now so it looks like the challenger is the only srt8 i can afford. I will probably be selling my 07 in 2014 as thats when the exstended warranty ends as by then it will only have about 65,000 miles on it and i will not keep any car after the 7/100,000 warranty is over. Now my 08 dodge caliber has a lifetime warranty on the power train so ill keep that for the wife and as she has to have the rear dvd for the grandkids ill be limited to 2011 and up and i would hate to go with a jeep 5.7 motor. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You don't need AWD in cali anyway, I'd love to have a challenger if it didnt snow 6 months a year here. . .

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I have the new jeep and I'm not plugging it because of that,The new WK2 is Badass.Ive had alot of cars you can't in this market come to anything close for Power,Speed,Looks crying for the price of 60k for the jeep is a waste of time.Go buy a 100k comparable model then bring on the tears.There's no doubt it's way more than the WK1,However for me its the bomb.If they come out with the 8 speed and LED lights in 2014.I spoke to star that's the next time you will see those upgrades

1 - 16 of 16 Posts