Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas. I am sure this has been asked but I don't want to look threw a bunch of post to figure this out. I need to get some new break pads for my 08. It will be my first time buying pads. What pads does eveyone recommend? I want good pads that dont cost as much as dealership pads. Also I would like to get some that dont squeel. What do you guys think? Thanks!

· Registered
1,015 Posts
I am happy with the stop techs and rotors from R1. Significantly cheaper than stock. I needed new rotors as well, most do.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

· Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Getting new rotors depend on the condition of your present ones. Having them turned would probably be a good idea. I went with R1Concepts for new slotted/drilled rotors and the stoptech pads front and rear. No squealing from this setup.

· Registered
1,015 Posts
Would I need new rotors if I get the stop techs?
I was originally planning on replacing only pads, but my rotors were close to the end of their life so I changed both. Many other owners have done the same.

· Registered
4,269 Posts
Ugh... Dont get posi-quiets.

Thats all I gotta say.

· Registered
673 Posts
How many miles are you guys getting out of your rotors with stock pads? Mine have some good grooves cut in them from the orginal brembo pads.

If I replace them I'd rather just redo the stock stuff, I'm not wanting to sacrifice any performance of the brake system in achieving less dust or a squeel every once in awhile. Is there a loss in performance switching the rear's to the CTSV pads?

· Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
How many miles are you guys getting out of your rotors with stock pads? Mine have some good grooves cut in them from the orginal brembo pads.

If I replace them I'd rather just redo the stock stuff, I'm not wanting to sacrifice any performance of the brake system in achieving less dust or a squeel every once in awhile. Is there a loss in performance switching the rear's to the CTSV pads?

Good luck with that. You are wasting your money if you buy the stock rotors again. If you really want to buy stock pads again that is your choice but at least get some slotted rotors to stop the grooving. I have tried 5 or so different brands of pads and I would recommend the StopTech pads.

My Review

Here is my personal review of the brake pads I have used. I am only commenting on front pads because the rears last longer and I don't change them until it is necessary

Stock-- Good stopping power. Bad for dust. I have used them twice on track days. they hold up pretty well and don't dust as bad when driving around a course like a maniac. Would not buy again unless they can be found for $100. Dealer prices are ridiculous.

EBC Yellowstuff-- Good stopping power. Less dust than stock. Track day pad. Works best when warmed up. These pads disappeared in 65 miles on Road America. While I was driving home I hit metal and ruined the rotors. The pads work good but they are short lived. If I need to buy 2 sets for a track day, they are not the pads for me. I would not buy these again either but mostly due to their short life span. I also contacted EBC and they stated that I should only get around 2-3 sessions out of them but that was after my road course. They were right but if I went out on the track one more time I might have been in a wall or worse.

Bendix MKD 1149-- Very similiar to stock in every facet. Rumor has it that Bendix makes the pads for our Brembos at a price less than the dealers. I believe these pads cross reference to the LX vehicles in case you look them up and do see them for the Jeep. I would buy these again if I had to but there are better options around the price point which is $100 or below. They held up good at the track. Still had 1/2 left when I returned home.

Hawk HPS-- Worse than stock stopping power. Great for all the less dust guys. These have to be the worst pads I have had so far. It didn't matter if they were warm or cold, they just didn't stop very well. I would not buy these again either but that is due to the increased stopping distances. I know R1 concepts like recommending them but I don't.

StopTech-- Better than stock stopping power. Less dust than stock but not less than or equal to the Hawk HPS. These pads from the moment I went to bed them, I was shocked. I always bed my brakes in the same area and know where I usually had to stop to get to the stop sign. Time and time again I was stopping (not a complete stop) well before the sign. At the track it was the same deal. I could go deeper into the corners than I have ever been before. They held up well with 1/2 the pads left after the track. I would buy these again, in fact, I have bought a full set for my next change.

I hope this helps with some options for the guys wanting to make a change.
Also, none of my pads have ever squealed so I am not the one to ask about noise. I think that my driving style is a lot different than most on here so that would be the main reason. I also experimented with my last change by not using any anti squeal on any of the pads(front/rear) and the only time I get any noise is in reverse and stopping really slowly(5-0mph).

Reactions: MJC

· BlaBlaBla
5,400 Posts
I agree on the rotors. I've had three grand Cherokees and all of them had junk stock rotors. They warp real easy.

· BlaBlaBla
5,400 Posts
wow thats news to me.... ive racked alot of miles and never warped any, the only issue ive seen on a GC is the SRT8 front brembo pads just chew up the OEM rotors...
Could just be the way my wife drives or my bad luck! My 96 had two front sets before the warranty ran out. After the first ones warped on my 2000 I went aftermarket with no problems since. I've never had any problems with rears until I bought the squeaky SRT! I replaced the stock rotors on my 07SRT at 18,000.

· Registered
3,304 Posts
Could just be the way my wife drives or my bad luck! My 96 had two front sets before the warranty ran out. After the first ones warped on my 2000 I went aftermarket with no problems since. I've never had any problems with rears until I bought the squeaky SRT! I replaced the stock rotors on my 07SRT at 18,000.
lol i will give you that on the 2000 model year, they had a recall on the brakes even, they used shitty calipers and caused the rotors to warp, they changed them over to akebono style instead of the teves

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. I just ordered some RI Rotors and stoptech pads.

Also I have never changed brembo breaks before. Is it the same as regular disk breaks? Is there any tips or things I should know about before I change the pads or rotors? I heard something about or O-ring when taking off the rotors.

· Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Thanks guys. I just ordered some RI Rotors and stoptech pads.

Also I have never changed brembo breaks before. Is it the same as regular disk breaks? Is there any tips or things I should know about before I change the pads or rotors? I heard something about or O-ring when taking off the rotors.
It's easier than regular disc brakes. Pop out 2 pins. Undo 2 bolts. Caliper and pads are off. If your rotors have been done before, more than likely the o-ring is no longer there. It holds the rotor in place as it goes down the assembly line. Remove rotor. I like to never seize the inside of the rotor so the next time it comes off nice and easy. No hammer needed. Repeat till done.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.