Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am still loving the SRT, but I have came to the conclusion that either I am blind as a bat, or otherwise, the headlights are significantly under-powered for this kind of vehicle. What is the quickest way to brighten up the roadway at night? I seen a company that offered full headlamp replacements for the SRT for $2000 give or take - that is a no-go for me - I wish I had two grand sitting around these days, but I don't. What are my options within reason price-wise? Anyone else have any experience or feedback with such an issue? Thanks, SRT Bretheren!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does your ride have HID lights? Have you turned on the fogs as well?
Hey, P. So, I leave the lights in the Mode whereas they remain in the high beam function until they sense oncoming traffic. Amongst the first things that I do when I get in the vehicle is to push the headlamp knob inward to turn on my fog lamps.

I don't know if this is the wrong thing to do or not - I am more or less just trying to get as much light on the road as possible.

She is a pre-owned 2016 - my guess is that the previous owner did not upgrade the headlights. The previous owner basically added an afe intake and an oil catch can - the rest was bone stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I’ll assume that your ride was equipped with factory HIDs. I have a ‘17, but I believe the light operation are the same same as yours. In my car, in AUTO HEADLIGHT mode, once the fog button is pushed, they will always be on as long as the headlights are on. No need to turn them on every time. The fogs do cycle off when high beams are on, but turn back on when the highs cycle off.

I‘d first check to see if your headlights are aimed correctly. Pull it up to a wall to check The beam pattern. If they are aimed right but you still want more light, you could get higher output HID bulbs. Just remember, The KELVIN rating reflects the light color (blueness) not the light output. Output is usually rated in LUMENS.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah stock HID's are not great and if you have an early enough model year the fogs are worthless too (mines a 2014 and at some point they switched to LED which is better), notably OSRAM XENARC Night Breaker Laser D3S were the upgrade I did for the HIDs and they are noticeably brighter. Not sure what year you have or if they will fit so I would check out first. Also note it is a huge pain in the ass to change them due to the way the housing retention prongs work on them (easy to get old ones out but hard to seat new ones). Really a terrible headlight for servicing via the two back caps. The back of the bulbs are a square plastic housing and they fit in those metal prongs you see in the image but if even one is bent its a huge pain to see. This image was made before when I changed mine and could not look in so i flipped my phone over and took a picture to figure it out then used a little mirror and a very small flat head to bend the prong back out of the way so I could seat the bulb. Idiotic design for a headlight. (It gets VERY dark where I am so I needed better lights so happy I upgraded but was not a fun upgrade).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I don’t know when the car manufacturers decided to make changing headlight bulbs so difficult! I had to change the bulbs in my mom’s Infiniti QX30 and that required removing the front wheels to access the bulbs!

It makes me feel like the butt of the old joke... how many guys does it take to change a lightbulb ???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts