Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got new upper and lower HPS radiator hoses and wonder if i need to take the spring out of the original hoses and put them in the HPS ones? The HPS ones do not have any spring inside as I got the HPS 1453 BLK Silocone hoses, or did I get the cheaper ones and need a better hose set up? Running stock, just having issues with heat at high speeds and high work loads, not in traffic or running regular 40-70 mph.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK like most (all owners) I'm chasing overheating heating issue Gremlins SO...cold case radiator, new upper lower hoses, new stock tstat, good fluid and new fan relays.
Temp gun at tstat housing reads 195- 200, temp gun on upper hose reads 190, BUT on the coolant temp sensor or as close as I can get it ...I get 225 ! Help, I have a new coolant sensor ready to put in but that seems not to be an issue as its reading what it is at that point on my engine. Only thing I have not replaced is water pump, I think.
From the original it runs fine 215 at low speeds and even sitting in traffic, but 70 plus the temp goes up. I do have blow off at the radiator cap and have ordered a new cap from Cold Case.
I dont think that I have air in the system, but have not had it professionally purged, beside me taking out the bleed valve, filling it then filling more and idle to let the bubbles out at the reservoir.

·
Registered
2007 SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee
224 Posts
I have the same hoses. You are correct as they do not come with the lower spring and as stated above, transfer the spring from the old lower hose to the new one.

Is the new radiator cap a "locking" cap? I had to get one as it does help.

When I bleed my system, and I've done it several times now. New water pump, 180 degree tstat, billet aluminum tstat housing (highly recommend).... all I do is fill the radiator, start the engine, turn the heat on high, wait for the tstat to open, then run it until no more bubbles, topping off the coolant as needed. I've let it run for 20-25 at times just to make sure. No issues doing it this way. YMMV

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I believe I have fixed the issue. I put a 192 t-stat in and used the proper seal no spill funnel kit from harbor freight to fill and burp. Burped it with heater on ac on nothing on for 25 min. Now temp is 210 -216 and it was 98 outside today. Happy man , no dealership cost for water pump, which was my next option.

Burping using the overflow tank is not good in my opinion.

·
Registered
2007 SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee
224 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. How many miles do you have on it? I replaced my water pump (myself) last summer as it started to seep coolant. Somewhere I have a pic of it. It was pretty nasty. I'm at 100900 miles now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
134k on the jeep, but not as much as my 01 Cherokee.. 418K ..yup my daily driver.
Yes I will be looking underneath more for water pump issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts