Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figured I'd write a little how to for the removal of the chrome piece on the lift gate for all those interested. I'm having mine smoothed and painted to finish my debadging look. :cool: Plus, I dislike that piece of chrome for some reason. I think it breaks up the back to much. I like the rest of the chrome, just not this piece lol. I'm hoping for Friday having the complete piece installed, and I will update and post pictures then.

Tools Needed:
3/8" Ratchet
3" Extension
Deep 10mm socket
Trim Pry Bars (Harbor Freight Tools ~$10)

Steps:
Removal - Liftgate trim panel
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat- bladed tool, release the six lower retaining clips (3) and carefully pry the trim panel (1) away from the inside of the liftgate (4).
3. Carefully release the upper retaining clips (2) and separate the trim panel completely from the liftgate.
4. Disconnect the trim panel lighting connectors.
5. Remove the liftgate lower trim panel from the vehicle.

Next, there are (4) 10mm nuts and (2) black clips.

Next, disconnect the wire harness and press the tabs to release the black grommet

Now, the piece is free. Enjoy and mod away :D

Very easy to accomplish. Takes 30 minutes or less.

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
Great write up! really explained it well and with nice pics.

Reactions: Mongoose9400

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I have the same posted in the visual mods as well.

Since this is for the Tech Tips review I didn't include some parts from my other post.

I ordered a new piece from the dealer so I sent that to the body shop, it's $230 w/tax. Anyone interested I'll sell my spare in a few days for $180 shipped. So you don't gotta look ghetto while the piece is being fabbed up. PM if interested.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Nice little write up Zac, I'm sure many will take advantage of it. I know I would if I had a new one, lol. I hate the chrome strip on the back, doesn't even look like real chrome to me. It just looks like an after thought that they threw on there, IMO. Can't wait to see the finished pics.

Jim

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice little write up Zac, I'm sure many will take advantage of it. I know I would if I had a new one, lol. I hate the chrome strip on the back, doesn't even look like real chrome to me. It just looks like an after thought that they threw on there, IMO. Can't wait to see the finished pics.

Jim
If it was body color with the Jeep I wouldn't mind. But yeah, that piece looks out of place IMO.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Administrator
6,373 Posts
Thanks Zac. I moved the posts from the other thread into this one and closed it.

Bernie

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Zac. I moved the posts from the other thread into this one and closed it.

Bernie
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank you Zac for this write-up! You saved me yesterday! I removed my my chrome piece off the lift gate yesterday and the black mounting bracket was cracked around the area where its bolted on. Maybe I was too rough. I didn't plan on replacing the mounting bracket but luckily I had the new one that came with my altitude strip. So I followed your very helpful instructions and was able to replace it with no problems. :)

Attachments

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problem man!

Sent from my iPhone 5

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's the second time ive been called "man" on this forum.I just added "I'm a girl" to my bio. ;) Its my fault. I havent had time to formally introduce myself to the forum.
Haha, my bad! Not a lot of women around here. Plus there are no women on the Internet lmao! Welcome and enjoy. I have made a lot of tutorials for the WK2 during my modding.

Sent from my iPhone 5

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is awesome and helped me a lot tonight replace my camera. Mines not an SRT, but this is the closest write-up I've seen even for mine. I have the 2014 V6 Limited. For anyone wondering, there's actually 8 nuts on that model. There's also 2 plastic clips on the sides of the door, and then finally a white clip just under the wiper motor. Same panel removal, and same wiring disconnections as the SRT. Old camera had a whole bunch of water behind it. Never noticed moisture inside the camera lens when it was installed, but it's very obvious after you pull it out and look into the lens. We'll see how long the new one lasts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.