Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have 2008 SRT8 w/ D1 Procharger. I also have 160 tstat, and fans settings have been changed.
Normally, everything runs cool without issue. However, in the summer when temps are 90+ and I'm cruising on highway at 75 mph with the A/C running,
the temp starts to rise quickly. However, it never seems to go higher than 215-220.

This is disconcerting to me, though, as with the 160 tstat, new water pump, and moving at 75 mph with the air flow it should not get this high.
There seems to be a tremendous amount of heat in the engine bay that is not getting OUT of the engine bay.

Reading forums, articles, etc. it seems that when driving that speed our Jeeps create a huge high pressure area under the Jeep.
Since low air pressure does not move to high air pressure areas, the hot air in the engine bay (which creates a low pressure zone) stays there.

Anybody successfully solved this issue?
Maybe by creating less air flow under the Jeep or creating ability for air to flow out the top somehow?

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a tigra i use for drag racing and its quite common to raise the back of the hood by putting spacers onto the top of the hinges.
It creates a vent at the back to allow the hot air to escape

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Barry. That's a good idea, as usually the weatherstripping around the back of the hood prevents anything from getting in (which is good) but nothing gets out as well.
I appreciate the input. I'll try to find some spacers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I dont know if they can be bought.Their made from alloy blocks which are sandwiched between the hinge and hood.if that helps

·
Registered
197 Posts
Last summer when I got my Jeep, I swapped a 180 in and adjusted all my fans according with the T1000 Diablosport and it would run 180-190 in traffic and 165-170 at 70 mph on road trips, mind you this was a cheap autozone T stat that also failed on me at about 1:30 in the morning

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,

I have 2008 SRT8 w/ D1 Procharger. I also have 160 tstat, and fans settings have been changed.
Normally, everything runs cool without issue. However, in the summer when temps are 90+ and I'm cruising on highway at 75 mph with the A/C running,
the temp starts to rise quickly. However, it never seems to go higher than 215-220.

This is disconcerting to me, though, as with the 160 tstat, new water pump, and moving at 75 mph with the air flow it should not get this high.
There seems to be a tremendous amount of heat in the engine bay that is not getting OUT of the engine bay.

Reading forums, articles, etc. it seems that when driving that speed our Jeeps create a huge high pressure area under the Jeep.
Since low air pressure does not move to high air pressure areas, the hot air in the engine bay (which creates a low pressure zone) stays there.

Maybe by creating less air flow under the Jeep or creating ability for air to flow out the top somehow?

Thanks.
I have similar problem at track, until about 3/4 of the way down the quarter mile the underhood temps escalate significantly, was thinking about louvres on hood
48C2838C-F2B1-4791-B394-8B6099AB249A.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Barry. That's a good idea, as usually the weatherstripping around the back of the hood prevents anything from getting in (which is good) but nothing gets out as well.
I appreciate the input. I'll try to find some spacers.
If anyone finds source for spacers, please post hete

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks.
If you want more cooling, buy different fans and radiator setup (so they can move more coolant/air) and than reconfigure 'fan on' with a tuner, so that they turn of earlier. My brother did this to his Blazer SS and on hot days it never goes over 200.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts