Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What You'll Need:

-(4) Spray cans of Plasti-Dip (which ever color you decide to choose - I personally chose Black).
-Cue Cards (I got a 100 Pack - Used around 25 each rim)
-Degreaser/soap & water to clean rims
-Terry Cloth to dry the rims up
-Jack/Jack stands

Process:

1. Begin with taking the rims off your car.

2. Clean your rims properly and make sure to get all the road grime off so that the Plasti-Dip can easily adhere to the rims. I used a degreaser first and then soap and water. You can just use soap and water.

3. Dry the rims up properly and assure that they are completely dry.

4. Begin to put the cue cards around the rims between the tires and rims so that your tires don't get Plasti-Dip on them.

5. Begin spraying your rims. While spraying you want to keep the spray can about 12-16 inches away from the rim as stated on the back label of the can. You want to put an even coat of Plasti-Dip on the rims. The first coat should be heavy coat and then do light coats. Also at times it goes on like crap but after it dries it looks fine.

6. Wait at least 30-40 minutes between coats (sometimes that may not be enough - make sure the rims do not look watery). You are going to need at least three coats. Two coats is not enough to cover your rims properly at times. Each coat on all rims will typically use up one can. I also put one heavy coat on the back of the rim.

7. After your done all three coats give the rims at least 3-4 hours to dry up prior to putting it back on the car. (I put it on after 2 hours and went for a drive and it was fine) Just let them dry in the sun.

At $5 a can you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the pic's and process

Plasti Dip -

Cleaned Rim -

Placed cue cards around rims -

First coat nice and heavy -

Third coat -

And the finished product -

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah l did 3 coats on the outside and 1 heavy coat on the inside looks good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They have it in home depot and lowes

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have been holding up well, I have driven to Vermont & Baltimore from NYC. They had been through an earthquake, heat wave, hurricane Irene, NYC streets, and a pressure washer when cleaning the car. I did have a curb bash on the back wheel "dammm wife" and it was easily fixed with a couple of sprays of plasti-dip. So over all I'm pretty impressed. Not bad for $5 a can.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havent had any balance or vibration issues while driving. So far so good and it's been 2 months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.