Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry mods, please move if it's in wrong section.

Hey guys, been looking very deeply in buying WK1 Jeep. I have contacted a private seller and he said he has a 2008 with less then 50k for $18k. Yes. The same thing your thinking now. It is probably too good to be true. From the pictures he send I see that there are a carbon fiber hood and shorty antenna done to it. He wants to do paypal which is legit and I think if it was a scam paypal would refund me. (or would they?)

So my question is should I continue? How to get him to sign the bill of sale? How about title? What if it's a fake vin? What if it never comes? Any hints, tips from anyone?

Thanks.

Jin

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Find out where he lives and ask a local member here to check it out.

They don't have to be a mechanic to verify that the vehicle is "complete" and has the stated mileage, match the vin to a clean title... etc...

(Just tell me where it is, I'll go look at it ;) )

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
No way I would buy it unless I saw it in person and checked it out fully for myself. Sometimes when it's too good to be true...........!

Reactions: fengstang

·
Registered
673 Posts
I flew to North Carolina from Michigan to check out my ride with a certified check. Once I drove it, and thought it was satisfactory, I drove it home. I had every intention of working down the price or flying home if it wasn't up to spec.

Why in the hell would you buy a car without even seeing it? Are you just plain dumb? If you do something such as that and you get scammed, you almost deserve to be. A fool and his money are soon departed.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
I believe PayPal only protects you when used for eBay.

These jeeps hold their value. Unless its a salvage titled or something wrong with it then it's to good to be true. I'd stay away from it. Do some googling on PayPal scams.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
The more I read yall's comment. The more I feel it's a scam. I love this community.
Another way to look at this. A couple months ago I sold my 07 with 70k miles for almost 10 grand more to a dealer. They are in turn going to resell it for 30k. Why would an 08 with less miles be so much less? Just stay away from it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just tell him you'll fly to him with cash money in hand... or ask for a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) from a dealer..... I'm willing to bet that you'll never hear from him again.

A rule of thumb is to get a aphone number and talk to the guy... I've purchased cars sight unseen a couple of times that way, but I'm getting more cautious the older I get.

You're excired to get a good deal...but this is a scam. What they do is ask to use paypal...you send money for the Jeep. they'll tell you there was an issue... send your money back to you...then they'll want you to resend the money. The 2nd transaction isn't tied to the sale of the Jeep - hence no paypal protection.

·
Administrator
6,373 Posts
I think posting the VIN of this Jeep if it was included in a public ad will help others if this particular Jeep comes up again F/S somewhere. Same goes for a link to the ad itself if it was from Craigslist or similar. These scams are nothing new.

I wonder if there could be a chance the $18,000 was a typo? Maybe it was supposed to be $28,000.

Bernie

·
Registered
710 Posts
This is a scam, try messin with the guy anyway q:

Just email him saying, "Hey, I would like to see and pay for the car in person. I want to drive it home so that way I don't have to worry about shipping."

Scammers will say not worry about shipping cause they'll "take care of it."

Real people selling don't even want to mess with that sort of hassle because if something goes wrong, they don't want the blame! Besides, I'm sure it's a PITA to ship a car. Getting my bike shipped was bad enough and took over a month!!

If you pretend to follow through long distance, He'll probably lead you to a site that looks exactly like paypal to make the payment, my brother ended up in this situation. If he takes you to a site, let it sit for a day & refresh it more than 10 times. I'm pretty sure you'll get something that looks like this:

Also, the IS F that my brother almost got scammed on was listed on ebay, autotrader, and cars.com for $25k with 20k miles
Some scammers get too confident...

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
Thats the great thing about this site. We have members in almost every possible location of the country and most are willing to drive a little bit to help a fellow member out by checking out any possible GCSRT8 purchase. Wether it be a private or dealer selling the jeep.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
quick question, is the seller in the military, being transferred and the vehicle is on a base? where is the vehicle located, is it close to a military base?

reason being ive been exposed to this exact same thing twice in the last year...the second was 5wks ago....2004 Rubicon, 28000mi, must sell fast, $6000....my uncle was in the market so asked me to check it out...called the guy-ohio phone number-vehicle in south caroline, guy claimed to be deployed from ft benning ga.....not so fishy, military guys can have that scenario no problem....story i get is he is being deployed, doesnt want expense of vehicle storage etc while deployed...he owns vehicle outright, just needs to unload it.....tells me that the vehicle is on XXXX military base in south carolina in secure storage and that its mine if i want it....says he needs a $1000 deposit in order to stop local sale process and that to "protect both him and myself" we use paypal so we'll have complete security...once the deposit is made he will make arrangements for me to retrieve the vehicle from the base......i ask for vin-seller gets defensive....i ask again----SELLER HANGS UP.........within the hour the cell number is no longer in service

1st time was the kicker....was selling my Harley and had it listed on ebay and craigslist...by chance i get an ebay message that says..."hey nice bike, just thought you should know that someone here in St. Louis is trying to sell YOUR bike on craigslist locally"....me and the emailer go back and forth and i get the listing number and contact number...pull up the listing and lo and behold its the 11 ebay pix of MY BIKE(one with my son in the background) on this craigslist ad...keep in mind im in south georgia.....contact the guy and get the EXACT SAME STORY AS THE ONE ABOVE except for the location of the bike and the military base was different.......phone number is from longview washington, guy is in california but bike is on base in missouri......now, who wants to get pissed off???? i call the st louis pd and they tell me to call longview wash pd as the number is in their jurisdiction....longview pd tells me to call the pasedena ca pd as the culprit claims to be in that area...pasedena pd tells me to call fbi...i call fbi and i swear to god this is what i was told....THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT THAT SIR....NO CRIME HAS BEEN COMMITTED BY ANYONE...DO YOU STILL HAVE POSSESSION OF THE BIKE? I DO.....THEN IT HAS NOT BEEN STOLEN, CORRECT? IT HAS NOT....THAT BEING THE CASE NO ACTION IS WARRANTED BY ANY ENFORCEMENT AGENCY AT THIS TIME....WHEN THE TRANSACTION WITH A BUYER IS COMPLETED IS THE POINT WHERE A FRAUD CRIME HAS BEEN COMMITTED AT WHICH POINT WE WILL INTERVENE, IF WE ARE CONTACTED BY THE PURCHASER......what in the chinese hell kinda crap is that??? we are the damned FBI but we cant stop a crime before its committed, only act after the fact??? thank you tax dollars!!!!! sorry for the rant but this is a scam most probably, kudos to you for asking for insight instead of going it alone and uninformed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.