Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 GCSRT stock with a CAI and JOHAN. I run syntheitc oil of course however have not changed the oil in about 6,300 ,miles. I figure I am about due for a oil change. How often are you guys changing your oil. Please keep in mind this link is for the average person not the nutt who changes it in the garage every thousand.......

· Registered
123 Posts
i do it every 3000 but i also have a v2 vortech which uses my oil for cooling. if i didnt have the s/c it would be about every 5000

· Registered
400 Posts
On the 6.1 - every 5k miles. Had it checked by Blackstone Labs... could have ran it longer. Changing evry 3k seems excessive to me...

On the Dodge...I change it once a year.

Reactions: WBSRT and cmn1

· Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Do yourself a favor, if you are pushing your oil pass the tree thousand mark, make sure you check your oil level at every fill up at least. Take it from someone who lost an engine by lack of oil, even though I changed at every 3-4 thousand. Chrystler allows a quart of oil burn off for every 7oo-1000 miles as normal, and our trucks have no oil warning systems. We just have oil preasure warning. Even in our manual it states every three thousand and if something fails you will not be covered. They will pull all your service records and if you are over three thousand or missed any. Recommended service flush or tune ups your p the creak. Since I lived this first hand I Chang mine every three thousand even with royal purple. Oh even with the oil company's stating you can go so long with out a change, they will say if you didn't check oil level it's on you for burn off.
Now if you check your oil regularly then you can go five to six thousand.
Sorry for the doom and gloom, just don't want anyone to go through what I did. Though I wouldn't be able to convince the wife of getting my 426 if it didn't happen, so it was all good.

· Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
I have a 2009 GCSRT stock with a CAI and JOHAN. I run synthetic oil of course however have not changed the oil in about 6,300 ,miles. I figure I am about due for a oil change. How often are you guys changing your oil. Please keep in mind this link is for the average person not the nut who changes it in the garage every thousand.......
I'd say you are right where you need to be for an oil change.

· Registered
271 Posts
I do mine every 6k, but my driving is predominately highway driving (85%).
Oil level has been satisfactory as I drain about 5.5 - 6 quarts of old oil each change.
After analysis, oil quality has been very good also.

· Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
I change mine every 3K

Which is about once every 6-7 months. I only drive around 5K miles a year. My job is only 6 miles one way, so I do a lot of short distance city driving.

· Registered
611 Posts
Just did mine yesterday with Mobil 1. I'm going to try the 5K change interval.

· Premium Member
1,070 Posts
As the manual says to maintain the warranty - every 6000 or 6 months. In our case 6 months comes before 6000.

· Registered
400 Posts
Do yourself a favor, if you are pushing your oil pass the tree thousand mark, make sure you check your oil level at every fill up at least. Take it from someone who lost an engine by lack of oil, even though I changed at every 3-4 thousand. Chrystler allows a quart of oil burn off for every 7oo-1000 miles as normal, and our trucks have no oil warning systems. We just have oil preasure warning. Even in our manual it states every three thousand and if something fails you will not be covered. They will pull all your service records and if you are over three thousand or missed any. Recommended service flush or tune ups your p the creak. Since I lived this first hand I Chang mine every three thousand even with royal purple. Oh even with the oil company's stating you can go so long with out a change, they will say if you didn't check oil level it's on you for burn off.
Now if you check your oil regularly then you can go five to six thousand.
Sorry for the doom and gloom, just don't want anyone to go through what I did. Though I wouldn't be able to convince the wife of getting my 426 if it didn't happen, so it was all good.

Great post... my wife drives the 6.1 daily (300) and it is mostly highway miles. She doesn't beat on it, so I let it go out to 5k miles. I'm getting ~ 6 quarts of oil so there isn't much burn off. I'm sure that has a lot to do with her driving style...she is averaging 19-20 mpgs.

· Registered
205 Posts
19-20mpg??? I don't get that standing still in my garage! Most I get on the highway is 16.5.
Took mine on a mini roadtrip a week ago and I was getting 18.7 MPG at 5,000+ ft elevation :p
--
I change my oil about every 5,000 miles since I'm on the highway 85% of the time, and I use Mobil 1 full synthetic. I'm also getting about 6 ~ quarts of oil with every change, so burn off on our rigs aren't nearly as bad as some cars out there.

I'm thinking of going every 6,000 miles or so between changes. Thoughts on this?

· Registered
5,005 Posts
Took mine on a mini roadtrip a week ago and I was getting 18.7 MPG at 5,000+ ft elevation :p
--
I change my oil about every 5,000 miles since I'm on the highway 85% of the time, and I use Mobil 1 full synthetic. I'm also getting about 6 ~ quarts of oil with every change, so burn off on our rigs aren't nearly as bad as some cars out there.

I'm thinking of going every 6,000 miles or so between changes. Thoughts on this?
Mostly highway I would say your probably fine, next time go to 6K and have your oil analyzed for peace of mind.

· Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
--

Read the picture in post #7. I think you will be fine. My driving is mixed, I run it hard at the road courses I run and Blackstone is recommending trying 7000 for me.

· Registered
782 Posts
I faithfully do every 3k miles as well w/ Mobile 1. I do 90% highway and mine is still burnt black every time @ 3k miles. I would rather be safe then sorry. Huge investment in the jeep, so might as well take the extra $$ to change the oil more frequent. I'm anal, but sure can't hurt! I drive the jeep hard, so better take care of it!
I have noticed how much oil this engine burns through as well. Def try to check your oil level every 1k miles, just to make sure you have enough. Your engine will def let you know when your low by noises at idle. Also, mine makes a weird super-charger sounds when the viscosity in the oil breaks down from to the injectors. Soon as i change the oil it purs like a kitten again.
Seems like us OCD guys do every 3k, but some seem to be fine w/ every 5k. Most likely personal preference, as long as you periodically check your oil levels to make sure they are up to par.

· Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
I change mine every 6k despite being blown I dont really drive my jeep hard at all. I go to the track rarely.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.