Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Vreds installed today and the others all had only a couple of weights. Yet one of the rears had a bunch of weights added.
Mind you that these were Road Force Balanced on a Hunter GSP 9700 and a Hunter tech was onsite and did the balance with the owner of the garage.

But Since these are new, and the other 3 are pretty good in balance (Meaning not many weights), how much weight added is too much?

I know I can contact the tire company, but not if I don't actually have a gripe about the amount of weight.

TIA

·
Registered
562 Posts
As long as it balanced I would not worry. Did you count, weights around 5oz were not uncommon when I worked at a shop. The wheel could be at fault too.

·
Just trying to go Fast
17,143 Posts
I've heard of people breaking the bead and spinning the tire on the rim to a different location. Sometimes that can change the weighting needed. All depends on the rim though.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
The wheel could have a slight hop to it. I had the same issue when I installed my Vreds. We took the tire off and turned the tire a 1/4 turn then mounted it again and that helped reduce the amount of weight we had to put on. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I left the tires there in case we need to take it off and send back. For the same reason, I don't remember the total weight that he added. I think he said 4 ounces, but I'll check tomorrow.
I contacted the seller to see what they thought was acceptable and unacceptable. I bought on AMEX so if its a bad wheel, they'll replace it.

However, I'll definitely try the 1/4 turn try to see what that does. That's the easy fix for sure. Thanks for the tip guys.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Tires have a marking on the sidewall to mark the heaviest spot in the tire. Could be a yellow or blue dot, I've also seen them inside too. You can use this as a reference point. Then again any decent tire shop should know that

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Got my Vreds installed today and the others all had only a couple of weights. Yet one of the rears had a bunch of weights added.
Mind you that these were Road Force Balanced on a Hunter GSP 9700 and a Hunter tech was onsite and did the balance with the owner of the garage.

But Since these are new, and the other 3 are pretty good in balance (Meaning not many weights), how much weight added is too much?

I know I can contact the tire company, but not if I don't actually have a gripe about the amount of weight.

TIA
Tire mounting caution:

When the tires on mounted on the rim, make sure the dealer knows to align the high runout point mark on the new tire with the low runout point mark on the SRT rim (this information is provided in the Goodyear Product Bulletin for this campaign). The high runout point on the tire will be marked in the upper sidewall with a white dot and either the letter “A” or a “+” or “-“ sign. The low point mark on the rim is marked with an “X” engraved into the dropwell of the rim

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info Jim.
The rim only has 4 ounces, which is alot to me, but not by balancing standards.
The GSP Road Force system will tell you to turn the tire on the rim. The hunter rep even showed that option. If there is a vibration issue, then I'll bring up the issue via AMEX. Otherwise, under the rug it goes.
Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dan....Although that doesn't exactly make me feel better that your giant 38" Mud Tires had small dumbells as tire weights. Unless you were driving those rigs at high speeds around corners and such. :D

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Thanks Dan....Although that doesn't exactly make me feel better that your giant 38" Mud Tires had small dumbells as tire weights. Unless you were driving those rigs at high speeds around corners and such. :D

Highway cruising at 85-95mph wasn't out of the ordinary :D. Can't corner quite as fast as the Jeep though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts