Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bunch of dealers are telling me different things with the 5w-40 synthetic oil our 6.4's use, some are saying to go 5000km (roughly 3000 miles) others are telling me 7500km (4700 miles or so). Can anyone confirm this? They're also killing us up here in Canada with the oil change cost, most are saying nearly 200$ for a change but a local dealer in town said its 140$ for mine so I guess it'll have to do as I won't be changing it myself.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
You are wasting your money if you do it every 3000m. Read below and I road course mine atleast twice a year.

Reactions: 1621

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I've done mine every 3k miles, and its 0w-40. Dealer did the first one free and the second one I did myself. Was pretty black both times.
color shouldnt be a large factor .. the oil in my duramax goes black within the first day of driving :s

I would say 3000 is overkill with todays oil.. I change mine every 4500 but just my 0.02

Reactions: cmn1

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I have the dealer change mine every 10,000km (6200 mi) They're good with that. I buy my own Mobil 1 0/40. They provide the filter & put the oil in for me. I let them do it cause the vehicle is still under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
I started running synthetic in all five of my service vans (GMC Safari's) about 15 yrs ago. Back then, I used to throw in a bottle of Slick 50 after 10k miles and always had the oil changed @ 6k miles. Ever since starting this oil-change interval along with the oil treatment, I've never had any engine breakdowns. Before the synthetic/Slick 50 program, I'd have a 50/50 chance of having to replace an engine at/close to the 100k mile mark, which is when I usually rotate a truck out of service.

I'm hesitant to do the oil treatment thing nowadays with our Savana's, however. I keep hearing conflicting reports about warranty issues, etc. But we still adhere to the 6k mile mark for oil changes. Knock on wood, so far so good!

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
The fleet service, the company I work for uses, has us do conventional oil changes every 4-5000 miles and I have never had an engine related problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
From the screen print above, it does show that the heavy metals do go down as the engine ages. I.e. there is a break in period. I'm an Amsoil dealer so I put all Amsoil products in my vehicles. I change oil at 1,500 mi (for the break-in of the rings), then at 5,000 (mostly becuase it is a round number) and then every 5,000 miles after that.

My brain works best if I can add 5,000 rather than some other number. Plus, I hate the oil change stickers at the top of my windshield!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.