Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a dealership telling me once I should wait at least 3 months before hand waxing a new vehicle, is that still true today or just urban myth/lore?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

· Super Moderator
11,085 Posts
Urban myth. Only take into consideration if your car was repainted.

· Premium Member
1,071 Posts
The day you get it. The 90 day advice was for air cured paints like lacquer and standard enamel.

· Registered
82 Posts
I remember a dealership telling me once I should wait at least 3 months before hand waxing a new vehicle, is that still true today or just urban myth/lore?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
New cars these days have a baked enamel finish and no longer need to wait three months for the paint to cure all of the way through. You can wax it when you buy it.

· Registered
445 Posts
My friend owns detail biz and does paint correction details on lambos and ferraris with less than 100 miles onem..the paint from factory and transport is shot

· Premium Member
17,169 Posts
Always clay a new car nowadays. You'd be surprised what's on there. They get filthy after they're built and before you take delivery and they just sit dirty. Good luck.....

· Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Rub your fingers along your paint and tell us how it feels. You can tell when you need to clay it or not. It takes me an entire weekend from start to finish to detail my baby.

Roll Out!!

· That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
Always clay a new car nowadays. You'd be surprised what's on there. They get filthy after they're built and before you take delivery and they just sit dirty. Good luck.....
Clay is going to be your best friend, anyone whose new to detailing or maintaining your paint take note. And you only need to worrying about waxing a car that has just recently been repainted, like someone said earlier I believe. Trust me, take the time to hand wash, clay and wax your car and your car will thank you. It will take a day or two for a first timer, but it is worth it, and if you want to take it to the next level you could invest in a polishing kit, but a nice wash/clay/wax or sealant will suffice and be great for your car.

· Premium Member
5,197 Posts
new vehicles do not come waxed out of the dealer anymore put a selant on right away if u drive it daily. if its not a DD then u can use a wax as wax wont hoild up as long for DD. but u do get a lil better shine

· Premium Member
16,346 Posts
Exactly. Waxing it right away won't do much but make it shine. You need to get the contaminants off before putting that fresh layer of wax on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.