Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my starter and I can't get the six ball bearings to line up on the front knuckle. What a greasy mess, been fighting with it for over an hour. Please help!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
The best way for me, I just did it like a week ago, was start with the side closest to the back. Once that one is in the other one will line right up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean install one ball bearing at a time? The retaining ring has six slots and I thought they all had to be pushed in at the same time. Does anyone know if it is easier to start with the ring and bearings on the shaft or in the socket?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Do you mean install one ball bearing at a time? The retaining ring has six slots and I thought they all had to be pushed in at the same time. Does anyone know if it is easier to start with the ring and bearings on the shaft or in the socket?
Do you have a pic ? I never ran into this when I did mine 3 week ago . I undid the little bolts holding the shaft on each end popped the shaft from the rear did the starter and put it back .What bearings are you talking about ?

·
Registered
665 Posts
FYI, Different years have different front drive shafts

Might explain any confusion that might occur
Thanks . I was thinking I might have done it wrong .

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
FYI, Different years have different front drive shafts

Might explain any confusion that might occur
Yeah I have an 08 and never seen any bearings when I had my front driveshaft out....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, my stupid self popped the metal ring off that has the boot clamped to it. That's why the guts fell out. I talked to a mopar tech and he told me what I did wrong. I must be the first one to screw this up, live and learn!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
**** happens - but it takes some nuts to own up to it when you mess up.

now take some pics so we can see what's in there :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts