Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for us to get vents in our hood that electronically open when the throttle is pushed?

Then when the car is off and when cruising around or under normal driving conditions the vents are closed.... But when you hit the gas it opens up more and can breathe easier /sound much cooler.

Possible??

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Is it possible for us to get vents in our hood that electronically open when the throttle is pushed?

Then when the car is off and when cruising around or under normal driving conditions the vents are closed.... But when you hit the gas it opens up more and can breathe easier /sound much cooler.

Possible??
Anything is possible! Sounds like a cool idea.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ Yes that exactly!

Wouldnt work so well with the medic , or venom.. well maybe it could be cut into the side of the medic, IDK if that would look good though. Maybe it could be something completely different?
I like the idea of a completely performance functional hood. Let it breathe! I definitely want one.

· Registered
1,847 Posts
Stef, I have a local buddy with a vacuum actuated cowl hood. It operates off the engine vacuum, so it would be perfect. Its def possible

· Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
That shit is awesome. I can just imagine my ram air inserts on my medic hood opening up at full throttle :D

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Why have it tied to the engine? Why not a switch to either be open or closed?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
5,047 Posts
Why have it tied to the engine? Why not a switch to either be open or closed?

Sent from my iPhone 4S
Because it would be less complicated, simple vacum hose

Otherwise you talking electric motors to open/close and the wires & switch to make it work. Now add the fact that if you want it to open/close automatically with the throttle you have to figure out where to tie it in too.

I'm sure it can be done either way with the right determination

· Registered
5,046 Posts
Couldn't you just tee off the vacuum line in the back of the manifold?
To tie it to the throttle, you'd have to get the throttle signal and connect it to a stepper motor.

· Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Stef, I have a local buddy with a vacuum actuated cowl hood. It operates off the engine vacuum, so it would be perfect. Its def possible
I gotta see this in person! Sounds pretty cool!

^ That is also pretty cool! I like this idea... I like how it is pretty stealth.

Exactly what I was thinking. Stef, get it done and be the first :D
I would love to. I just need to figure out what hood to put it on.. IDK how well this will work on a medic hood.
Imagine if your venom hood had one of these on all the vents! LOL That would be crazy! definitely an overkill but it would be crazy to see the entire hood open up. :)

YOU CAN DOOO [email protected]!!!

In all seriousness though, that would be killer to have something like that setup!
I know! I think it would be so cool to have it stealth looking.. like you cant really tell its there until it opens up. It would need to stay closed during regular driving conditions though, like driving in the rain... etc.

Because it would be less complicated, simple vacum hose

Otherwise you talking electric motors to open/close and the wires & switch to make it work. Now add the fact that if you want it to open/close automatically with the throttle you have to figure out where to tie it in too.

I'm sure it can be done either way with the right determination
Couldn't you just tee off the vacuum line in the back of the manifold?
To tie it to the throttle, you'd have to get the throttle signal and connect it to a stepper motor.

The Vacuum hookup sounds like a good idea. It would probably need to be adjustable though.. It cant open up all the time. Maybe it can pop open at like 2psi of boost?

How sick would it be to have under hood neons and butterfly vents in the hood on both sides. When you hit the gas, the vents open up and the neons glow through... Red neons... Damn, I want this!

· Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there some kind of a kit for this? Just the vents?

Or would this have to be a custom job?

· Registered
365 Posts
would it not have to be opposite of vacuum? because under throttle your engine vacuum drops until throttle plates start to close.

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
I was just thinking if they were always open when driving they'd work better than only opening when throttle is given. Always open allows more heat out I figured.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well when the car is parked they should be closed, normally... But when at the track maybe they can be disabled or un hooked so the vents stay open up all the time. This would help cool the engine when its off, waiting in the staging lanes.

· Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I don't know if this would be worth all the trouble. I just think its a cool idea....

· Registered
2,211 Posts
Just run a vacuum line into the cab and suck on it real hard when you want the plates to open.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.