Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, real newbie here still. I've had my '07 for almost 2 months now and loving it. Had a question when it comes to driving on icy roads, mostly icy highways at highway speeds since the conditions are starting to get bad now. I know the front wheels engage only when the rears slip so when I am on the highway doing around 100km/hr and give it too much throttle, is there a chance that I could have my back end go full out on me and find myself doing donuts like on a rear wheel drive? I've had rear wheel drive vehicles with traction control and managed fine on icy highway conditions but have never had 420hp under the hood either so I'm a bit frigid(lol) when it comes to the pedal on slippery road. Wife has a full time AWD suv so I know what that's like to drive and it is a lot different. I know what it's like driving at low speeds when it's icy, but have not gone too fast on the highway when it's somewhat icy. I'm not talking about driving fast, but driving the same speed as everyone else. I feel I'm driving slower, just for the thought of my back end go out on me. Still getting use to driving this beast in the winter conditions with the stock all seasons on. So far, so good, but I've been driving pretty slow when it's slick out. Everyone in all types of vehicles are passing me. Any thoughts? Obviously slower is better, but am I being too paranoid?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
no issues on icey snow here on the west coast - good tires and i can bomb around with total confidence !

Foot to the floor and I get a bit twisty but the AWD its extremely forgiving.

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Go find a nice big empty parking lot covered with a few inches of snow to play in for a while. That way you can learn what to expect with it. On the highway a few basic things just like any other vechicle: no sudden movements, braking or turning, just be smooth & watch overpasses/bridges. As for other people F'um, its your car & your life, let them pass. Unless you are doing 20 & everyone is doing 50, than get the heck out of the way.

Jim

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
If you hit black ice on the hiway going that speed, it doesn't matter if you have AWD or RWD....you can lose control just the same. Add some weight to the cargo area on snowy/icy days, it will help keep the rear planted, reducing the chance of wheel spin. Who cares how fast others go.....people are frigging retarded. I've been passed in my plow truck during storms dozens of times, only to watch the person who passed me lose control and end up in a ditch. That's when I put my foot to the floor, drop the plow, and bury their a$$ under a tidal wave of dirty brown snow.....followed by a few toots of the horn. :silly:

·
i dont like you...
629 Posts
i got elevator weights in my dodge 79' snow commander! and its lifted- oh my. :eek:

but just thought of my photo last yr. i usually just cruise in the snow, no need to get crazy ya know. :cowsmile:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If you hit black ice on the hiway going that speed, it doesn't matter if you have AWD or RWD....you can lose control just the same. Add some weight to the cargo area on snowy/icy days, it will help keep the rear planted, reducing the chance of wheel spin. Who cares how fast others go.....people are frigging retarded. I've been passed in my plow truck during storms dozens of times, only to watch the person who passed me lose control and end up in a ditch. That's when I put my foot to the floor, drop the plow, and bury their a$$ under a tidal wave of dirty brown snow.....followed by a few toots of the horn. :silly:
we need more plow operators like yourself !!!
pure awesome :D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Stability and traction control will help out a lot if you lose it a little. My problem with these trucks is the garbage RFT's that get rock hard at anything below -15 C. Initially I thought it was the tread but they are actually okay when its fairly warm out and snowing. When it gets cold, be careful.

·
Registered
327 Posts
far to paranoid. i can usually bomb around in the snow in the jeep, its great if you just get some winter tires

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
This truck will get around on you, and you don't even need ice to do it. If you're still on the goodyears get rid of them. I thought they were ok, but they are by far the worst tire I've ever had.

Take it easy, do yourself a favor and buy snow tires.

·
Registered
419 Posts
When on slick back roads (rain, ice, snow) hit the ESP button and the front will lock in some and you won't have to wait until the rear slips. Seems counterintuitive to turn traction control off but I find it easier to drive the rig like that. The stability control will still kick in when needed.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
630 Posts
Very first time I drove my Jeep (first time I ever drove a Jeep SRT8 beyond a 10 minute test drive), I drove it from Edmonton to Calgary in -40 at 110kph!! with the GY run flats with about 75K on them.

However, a few days later, driving back and forth to work down Crowchild and always hitting the gas to pass the rears were always slipping. So I bought winters as you see in my sig below.

When I drove back that first day from Edmonton I drove pretty smooth, but still, crazy. Would I ever drive my Jeep on those GY runflats in winter on the highway again? Uh no.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
When on slick back roads (rain, ice, snow) hit the ESP button and the front will lock in some and you won't have to wait until the rear slips. Seems counterintuitive to turn traction control off but I find it easier to drive the rig like that. The stability control will still kick in when needed.

This is also a good idea if you are going uphill in snow, turn off the esp and you can actually gain some consistent momentum without the system braking the wheels and slowing you down.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is also a good idea if you are going uphill in snow, turn off the esp and you can actually gain some consistent momentum without the system braking the wheels and slowing you down.
I haven't had a issue yet with my fairly new (under 10,000km) good year runflats. If you take your time and leave TC on for highway driving, and i like turning off tc in town, by doing so it in turn puts your truck into 50% to front and 50% to rear. Giving you alot of traction on ice and snow but dont get carried away with out tc on, things can go bad very fast.:D Another thing to note if you do drive with traction control off your fuel milage goes down, by alot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just came back from a round trip drive to and from to Panorama (from Saskatoon) and the Jeep did great (with Blizzak DM V1). With winter tires, it was just mint. The only problem with Blizzaks are the 180km/hr speed rating, so you have to be careful when passing. If you do a lot of highway driving, I would highly recommend paying the extra for winter tires. With winter tires, the Jeep handled like a rock on the mountain roads. I was presently surprised by how well the Jeep handled throughout my trip. Hopefully that is helpful.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Similar to my experience this year so far. Pretty much what I've come to expect out if Blizzaks. I ran them on a CTS-V last winter and even that thing was amazing in snow. The Jeep is just ridiculous. Got to play in about 5 inches of fresh stuff last week around town. Hammer it from a stop and it just goes. Stops on a dime too. Very nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts