Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With My WK1 I’ve been experiencing a issue where at idle the temp starts to climb. Last week it only went to 220. Today at night, sitting in the chik fil a drive thru it went over 250. I didn’t have the A/C on.
i have a 185 tstat with the fans tuned and I also have a karma radiator.
I was going to change the Tstat again in the morning to see if that helps but I have a feeling it won’t.
Is it a fan issue? Relay issue? Once I start driving it’ll cool back down to 191 but won’t go below for some reason. At a stop it’ll start climbing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What brand of t stat, I would either check for an air bubble or replace it
So I changed my tstat right now. I put back a new mishimoto 180. It was working great at low. But right now when I was driving it got hot. I stopped and the fan wasn’t on and the car was at around 215. So would that be the high fan relay?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
A lot of people have been issues with the mishimoto t stats, I have a brand new in a box that hhp warrantied for me, but the stants been in there for about a year, do you have your fans set? I have mine set @194 HS 178 LS

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
If your fans are not running, that is the problem and you need to troubleshoot that issue.
Basic electrical troubleshooting. If you are not comfortable doing that you need to find someone who is.
With our '10 SRT Jeep there is no problem telling if the fans are running on high, they can be heard 40' away.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your fans are not running, that is the problem and you need to troubleshoot that issue.
Basic electrical troubleshooting. If you are not comfortable doing that you need to find someone who is.
With our '10 SRT Jeep there is no problem telling if the fans are running on high, they can be heard 40' away.
I can diagnose it. Wiring looks good and the only thing I would do is swap out that relay, I’ve seen some members have had that issue. Other than that I’ll have to pull out the ohm meter and start checking everything

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I switched the hi and lo relays and got nothing. I’m going to try and find something to jump the relay and see if the fan comes on. If it doesn’t what am I looking at

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of people have been issues with the mishimoto t stats, I have a brand new in a box that hhp warrantied for me, but the stants been in there for about a year, do you have your fans set? I have mine set @194 HS 178 LS
So I turned on the ac when I was driving and I stopped and the fan was on but it seemed low. So I turned it off turned off the ac and then I turned it back on and the fan didn’t come on and it was at about 200. Turned on the ac and the fan didn’t come on. Left it for about a minute and it didn’t come on. I hear a slight squeak from the fan I believe. Is the fan no good?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have a Mishimoto Low Temp thermostat switch to a MotoRad. Mishimotos fail consistently
Yeah I replaced my mishimoto under warranty but i couldn’t wait so I bought a duralast and that’s what I’ve been using for a year but I switched to the mishmoto this morning and it didn’t make a difference. But it’ll fail in a few months I already know. I think I have to replace the fan?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I switched the hi and lo relays and got nothing. I’m going to try and find something to jump the relay and see if the fan comes on. If it doesn’t what am I looking at
Definitely try jumping the relay. Also check out this thread:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What brand of t stat, I would either check for an air bubble or replace it
Figured out the issue and got it fixed it looks like. I replaced the resistor and now when I turn on the screen the fan comes on. I’m going to do some driving and let it sit for 10 minutes and see if that changes but it seems like it was that stupid little resistor

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hope that fixes the issue
Nope it didn’t. Now the fan turns on when hot but it runs slow. Should I change out the fan? Or a relay? I have no idea. The fan works but it’s still getting hot at stops. Also my passenger A/C isn’t working, driver side is ice cold, but the rear and passenger is blowing warmer. I did switch the A/C and LO fan relay, would that be the issue?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Our fans suck! I went through 3 of them, one of those times it was running slow. I would replace it, I have had multiple threads on here about my over heating issues. I eventually just bought the Karma racing radiator and a local shop wired in a fan from a GTR. No more over heating issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Our fans suck! I went through 3 of them, one of those times it was running slow. I would replace it, I have had multiple threads on here about my over heating issues. I eventually just bought the Karma racing radiator and a local shop wired in a fan from a GTR. No more over heating issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the karma radiator, a 180 tstat and I have a tuner. I started switching around relays but they should be fine. It’s running but slow, and before I replaced the resistor it wasn’t running on high so I’m guessing it’s just the fan? I didn’t know that was a common isssue. I just ordered one from autozone, if it works and happens again I’ll take the time to wire in a fan, but if the autozone fan works than it’s staying. I checked the fuses and the box nothing looks melted, and I don’t see any wiring issues. If I had my ohm meter I would check continuity, but I’m out of work for another week because I have COVID so I don’t got my tools with me. Hopefully it’s the fan, I’ve been having issue after issue and my fiancé is getting tired of it

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright so I got the Jeep to around 180 and had the ac on and the fan was blowing low. I pulled the hi relay and nothing changed. Pulled the low relay and fan shut off. Went ahead and jumped the high and fan came on high. Same with the low. Put the low relay in the high and the high didn’t come on. Jumped again and it did it again. But when I jumped it a third time neither the High or low came on. Put in the relays, ac on, Jeep at 185 and no fans came on. It has to be the fan. I orders 2 new relays to have just in case. But what is the procedure to switch the fans on manually for high?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts