Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I own a 2006 Jeep SRT8 that I would like to upgrade. I've seen a lot of good reviews regarding the SRT max plus cam and I'm interested in installing it, however my Jeep has 137k miles on it.

My question is, can I run this cam on my high mileage engine? If no, are there any other horsepower upgrades I could use? And if I can, what all should I replace to ensure I don't break anything?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, if you install that cam you will need to have the PCM tuned, and I don't think you will see any substantial gains from just a cam. I would suggest having the engine rehauled or at the very least get the head rebuilt with ported heads and intake manifold to compliment the cam along with a set of good headers with the tune.

The added HP will put extra stress on the high mile engine, your valve train will prolly be the first to go. You might get away with it as long as you have the supporting valvetrain/lifters to support the cam and not beat on it.

Check this shop out for a nice head and cam package,

Cylinder Head | Livernois Motorsports

There are some simple bolt on options that are easier like switching to E85 fuel with a flex fuel kit, you will see an easy 20 WHP gain with no tuning and it's very easy to install plug and play,

Mopar EV6: V8 cylinder Flex Fuel Conversion (apeflexfuel.com)

Try this throttle controller and see how you like driving the car after. The SRT suffers from drive by wire lag, so it makes you thirst for more HP. When I added this ultimate 9 plug and play controller it completely changed the way the car felt! it's a night and day difference and i guarantee you will love driving the car after and will forget about heavily modifying it for now. Maybe not but the better throttle response will make the car feel quicker. It won't add HP, but it will change the way the engine revs and down shifts which makes the car feel very fun to drive.

I have this one, but I don't see your year available but maybe they offer it for the 2006,
Electronic Throttle Controller - #1 Throttle Response Controller Online (ultimate9.co)

This unit does the same thing and offers your year,
Get the Best Jeep Grand Cherokee Upgrade | Pedal Commander

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, if you install that cam you will need to have the PCM tuned, and I don't think you will see any substantial gains from just a cam. I would suggest having the engine rehauled or at the very least get the head rebuilt with ported heads and intake manifold to compliment the cam along with a set of good headers with the tune.

The added HP will put extra stress on the high mile engine, your valve train will prolly be the first to go. You might get away with it as long as you have the supporting valvetrain/lifters to support the cam and not beat on it.

Check this shop out for a nice head and cam package,

Cylinder Head | Livernois Motorsports

There are some simple bolt on options that are easier like switching to E85 fuel with a flex fuel kit, you will see an easy 20 WHP gain with no tuning and it's very easy to install plug and play,

Mopar EV6: V8 cylinder Flex Fuel Conversion (apeflexfuel.com)

Try this throttle controller and see how you like driving the car after. The SRT suffers from drive by wire lag, so it makes you thirst for more HP. When I added this ultimate 9 plug and play controller it completely changed the way the car felt! it's a night and day difference and i guarantee you will love driving the car after and will forget about heavily modifying it for now. Maybe not but the better throttle response will make the car feel quicker. It won't add HP, but it will change the way the engine revs and down shifts which makes the car feel very fun to drive.

I have this one, but I don't see your year available but maybe they offer it for the 2006,
Electronic Throttle Controller - #1 Throttle Response Controller Online (ultimate9.co)

This unit does the same thing and offers your year,
Get the Best Jeep Grand Cherokee Upgrade | Pedal Commander
Awesome, thank you for all that info, it helps a lot. I think I will start with the throttle control and go from there.

A while back though I did attempt to get the car tuned to help make it run more efficient and the guy who tuned my car tried to take away the pedal lag along with a couple other things and when he did, the car got angry. It would act really weird and give this hesitating/misfire feeling and the whole car would jerk when driving. He wasn't sure what caused it but we removed the tune and it went away. Do you think that the throttle controller would make that symptom come back?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Awesome, thank you for all that info, it helps a lot. I think I will start with the throttle control and go from there.

A while back though I did attempt to get the car tuned to help make it run more efficient and the guy who tuned my car tried to take away the pedal lag along with a couple other things and when he did, the car got angry. It would act really weird and give this hesitating/misfire feeling and the whole car would jerk when driving. He wasn't sure what caused it but we removed the tune and it went away. Do you think that the throttle controller would make that symptom come back?
Be very careful who tunes your engine and make sure you have a good EMS like HP tuners etc.

No, the hesitation will not come back as i believe this sounds like a tuning issue. The Ultimate 9 controller has a very good warranty, and they guarantee this will not cause any codes or issues and money back.

I have used the Pedal commander on my V6 Cherokee, but I did experience some issues down the road after a year or so but these are hit or miss, some have issues later some dont. But it can be removed in 5 min or less.

A ported 87mm TB and a good intake would be an easy upgrade to compliment the controller. Both parts can be found with carb exempt tags so they wont effect your warranty or emissions.

Here is my review on the Ultimate 9,

Ultimate 9 throttle controller | Cherokee SRT8 Forum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be very careful who tunes your engine and make sure you have a good EMS like HP tuners etc.

No, the hesitation will not come back as i believe this sounds like a tuning issue. The Ultimate 9 controller has a very good warranty, and they guarantee this will not cause any codes or issues and money back.

I have used the Pedal commander on my V6 Cherokee, but I did experience some issues down the road after a year or so but these are hit or miss, some have issues later some dont. But it can be removed in 5 min or less.

A ported 87mm TB and a good intake would be an easy upgrade to compliment the controller. Both parts can be found with carb exempt tags so they wont effect your warranty or emissions.

Here is my review on the Ultimate 9,

Ultimate 9 throttle controller | Cherokee SRT8 Forum
Perfect. Well, it sounds like the pedal commander is my next step then. Thanks again for all the info, I'm still learning a lot about this Jeep so everything you've told me has helped (y)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Perfect. Well, it sounds like the pedal commander is my next step then. Thanks again for all the info, I'm still learning a lot about this Jeep so everything you've told me has helped (y)
The pedal commander has more settings and adjustability it's pretty cool but what i like about the U9 is it has an Auto setting so that it adjusts to your driving/ throttle input. In the other more aggressive settings just tapping the throttle can result in the engine revving fast and jerking you so the Auto lets you feather the throttle for easier driving and soon as it sees you're asking for more throttle it adjusts to the perfect setting to give you a crisp acceleration.

The pedal commander has a sport plus mode i believe and that thing is very aggressive!

I would really like to hear your feedback on the commander.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pedal commander has more settings and adjustability it's pretty cool but what i like about the U9 is it has an Auto setting so that it adjusts to your driving/ throttle input. In the other more aggressive settings just tapping the throttle can result in the engine revving fast and jerking you so the Auto lets you feather the throttle for easier driving and soon as it sees you're asking for more throttle it adjusts to the perfect setting to give you a crisp acceleration.

The pedal commander has a sport plus mode i believe and that thing is very aggressive!

I would really like to hear your feedback on the commander.
That sounds really cool, I'm excited to see how it does on my Jeep. I will for sure let you know what I think when I get one installed! :D

·
Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
257 Posts
Camming it will be fine if you want more than a placebo effect replace lifters and pushrods and all gaskets and seals best to pull the motor go to FRP for Tuning and cam kit the Scud plus will give you serious gains 219/227 “Scud Plus” (113+2) long tube headers for best results

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Camming it will be fine if you want more than a placebo effect replace lifters and pushrods and all gaskets and seals best to pull the motor go to FRP for Tuning and cam kit the Scud plus will give you serious gains 219/227 “Scud Plus” (113+2) long tube headers for best results
Cool, thank you for the advice, I'll keep all that in mind (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts