Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

To get straight to the point. Here is the deal.

I am in the final steps before building a Jeep out of hell and I am shooting for no less than really low 10's and it is to be daily driven and beaten everyday. I know exactly what needs to be done and how much it will cost. What is left is to find the right car. I thought about it and the difference between the 2006's to 2010's jeep is minimal, really. Tail lights, interior. I can live with that. To spend more on this build I am leaning a lot lot more towards buying a really high mileage jeep that is a 2006 or a 2007. I thought about it, why in the world would I want a low mileage jeep if the first thing I am doing is literally to switch my engine, transmission, rear end, suspension, and fuel system? Am I correct for thinking this or am I missing something?

Here is what is worrying me, what is a high mileage jeep?? And how does that affect me? Lets talk 100K miles and up jeeps. How does the chassis like that many miles? Another thing, how do other parts of the car like that amount of mileage? Talking about fans, heat exchanger, wires, electronics and other misc stuff.

On top of that you have to keep in mind something. I am looking to buy a high mileage 2006-2007 that is going to be beaten every day and used every day for at least 3 more years so by the time I am done with the jeep it will probably have 100K more on the new 0 mileage engine and probably 200K+ on the chassis and misc parts. So what is your take on this??

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
Hello,

To get straight to the point. Here is the deal.

I am in the final steps before building a Jeep out of hell and I am shooting for no less than really low 10's and it is to be daily driven and beaten everyday. I know exactly what needs to be done and how much it will cost. What is left is to find the right car. I thought about it and the difference between the 2006's to 2010's jeep is minimal, really. Tail lights, interior. I can live with that. To spend more on this build I am leaning a lot lot more towards buying a really high mileage jeep that is a 2006 or a 2007. I thought about it, why in the world would I want a low mileage jeep if the first thing I am doing is literally to switch my engine, transmission, rear end, suspension, and fuel system? Am I correct for thinking this or am I missing something?

Here is what is worrying me, what is a high mileage jeep?? And how does that affect me? Lets talk 100K miles and up jeeps. How does the chassis like that many miles? Another thing, how do other parts of the car like that amount of mileage? Talking about fans, heat exchanger, wires, electronics and other misc stuff.

On top of that you have to keep in mind something. I am looking to buy a high mileage 2006-2007 that is going to be beaten every day and used every day for at least 3 more years so by the time I am done with the jeep it will probably have 100K more on the new 0 mileage engine and probably 200K+ on the chassis and misc parts. So what is your take on this??

Really the only downside to buying a high mileage truck is replacing the wear and tear items. Suspension bushings, wheel bearings, sensors, hoses, etc, all need replacing at some point in time. It would be a good idea to change the fans out, they are known to fail on high mileage trucks. High mileage vehicles typically don't feel as tight, and have queaks and rattles too. That would drive me nuts after spending all that money on a super Jeep.

IMHO, it is the cheaper way to go....up front, but may not be the cheapest in the long run. To many unknowns, you don't know whats going to be worn out.

·
Registered
418 Posts
high mileage vs low mileage you only talking about $5-6K difference, since the high mileage ones (over 100k) are still in the 20k or little bit less range. If you spend all that money why not spend an extra 5-6k and get the low mileage? Abviously you have deep pockets if you going to build a beast and bit the pisss out of it on daily basis (according to your statement), because beating on it daily basis will def require money for maintenance and gas. I say get one that is well maintained with fair mileage.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I'd say low mileage Jeeps are still fetching mid 30s and high mileage are high teens... that is a significant difference.

If I did it over again, I'd buy high mileage, spend the extra coin on turbos trannys and speeding tickets.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Buy a high mileage Jeep. Bulid the piss out of all the drivetrain/powertrain components... and after you get done, you won't have to worry about any of the effects of "high mileage". as long as you replace all the bushings with poly or solid bushings... but you'll probably be doing that to put that power to the ground anyways. These things aren't old enough to have anything really bad because of age only. I'd get an 08' just for the creature comforts and newer electronics suite. I guess you could be picky and say you wanted prestine leather seats with no creases...?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cheaper the car the more money will then transfer to interior modification. I think a 2008-2009 would be a good medium. I just want less money on the car so I can have more money put in the car lol :p

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
If your gonna spend 25+ grand to have a low ten second truck, why not spend an extra 5 and get one that you wont have to put that 5 grand back into at some point anyway...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts