Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search but couldnt find the answwer;

Up here, our units have daytime running lights - basically the high beam (but at a lower voltage i'm assuming).

As I do a lot of night driving on country roads, I was going to upgrade all the lights to HID including the high beams.

Has anyone encountered a problem with having the conversion and the daytime running lights i.e will it still work?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have factory HID. My daytime running lights use the (non-HID) high beam (but at a lower voltage), the HID do not come on.

Are you looking at some aftermarket system where the high beam is also HID? If so, someone that has that type of setup would have to respond.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - as stated in my post, looking to change out all lights to HID.

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Check with Taillight solutions, He fixed me up with some sweet HID fogs. but I don't know about the daytime lights. I did put in some higher wattage bulbs in tho & they are quit bright when on high beam & a bit brighter than the old DRL's.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i know a lot of cars with OEM DRLs will not work properly with HIDs in the high beams. they either flicker, or dont come on, or come on at full voltage which would be a horror as DRLs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Guess I'll stick with the silverstars in the high beam and go hid for low and fogs

·
Registered
665 Posts
Since we use the Can-Bus system i got the HID ballasts that are Can-bus safe . They are a little more money but real plug and play no flicker or and ill effects you just need them for the Highs&lows Fogs are not çan-Bus any regular kit will work for them

P.S. this is mainly for car with DRL

·
Registered
62 Posts
what about this? I had a DRL fuse/relay in my old truck but the BCM didnt have it activated (US model), and i had normal high beams, so what if you installed the HIDs in the highs, use a relay so its wired directly to the battery (so you wouldnt have to worry about low voltage) and pull the DRL fuse/relay? That way you would still have the signal on for the highs and full voltage to the ballast but wouldnt have to worry about the DRLs coming on at all

·
Registered
665 Posts
what about this? I had a DRL fuse/relay in my old truck but the BCM didnt have it activated (US model), and i had normal high beams, so what if you installed the HIDs in the highs, use a relay so its wired directly to the battery (so you wouldnt have to worry about low voltage) and pull the DRL fuse/relay? That way you would still have the signal on for the highs and full voltage to the ballast but wouldnt have to worry about the DRLs coming on at all
With my W-Body it work like that So I don't see why not . The relay will only use the highs as a trigger then taking the power from the Battery

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
OI have factory hid lows, did 5000k hid fogs and high beams, no daytime lights, won't work with this setup, BUT, I'm re-routing daytime signal to some orange led's I'll have in the headlamps next to the corner lights, this will keep me legal, according to buds in the local detachment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts